The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Possible Convert but...

Discussion in 'Bloog' started by starsong, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. starsong

starsong Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    SoCal
    I just got a call from my aunt who heard through my mom that I was using e-cigs and now she is interested. She is 75 yrs old, and on oxygen, bless her heart, mainly because she smoked all her life. So she had to give up smoking, but I suspect she still cheats. :facepalm:

At first I was all jazzed about getting her started on these, but it occurred to me that maybe she shouldn't even do this if she's on oxygen. Hmmm. She has no internet access so I was going to do the ordering for her, but now I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Any opinions on this?

2. beachpuff

beachpuff Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Lost
  3. starsong

Jan 1, 2011
    SoCal
  4. beachpuff

beachpuff Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Lost
    I think I read somewhere that it was OK but I can't remember where I read it. There's just so much information here that it gets overwhelming :) I hope someone can help you out.

5. Evie Luv

Evie Luv ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

I don't know anything on the subject but here is an article I found concerning someone with COPD and the use of e-cigs as a benefit.

The full article.
    Is nicotine bad for you - Steam cigarettes - Electronic steam cigarette - Nicotine Addicted Smokers With COPD May Find Relief With Electronic Cigarettes | You Work Online

And I don't see how it could ignite a fire. Sure the heating element gets hot and produces vaper. But my stove eyes will boil water into vapor and I'm sure that is alot hotter. No spark no flame. I even have a friends mother who is on oxygen and has gas heat and a gas stove. Those are open flames. She has been told that she should turn off the oxygen while lighting the stove or heater but she uses the oxygen when she is cooking. (Which she probably shouldn't) I just don't see the harm but I'm not an expert. Good luck to her though.

6. popeye79

popeye79 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2011
    WA, USA
    Starsong, come on... she needs to quit cold turkey. e-cigs may be better than analogs, but it's not like they're going to help her. We are just swaping one crutch for another, that's not as bad. But for someone in her condition.. it's still bad.

I wish you and her the best of luck.

7. crbrown

crbrown Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2011
    Kansas
    Star, my mother is on oxygen for the same reasons. She was told she couldn't be with in 3 feet of an open flame, but that the danger increases inside her home because the air is enriched from the oxygen. I use mine at her house and it dosent seem to bother her and we havent blown up...yet
    Mom was able to stop smoking so no need to vape, but she is able to be around mine with no breathing problems and she's not able to do that with cigarette smoke.

8. starsong

Jan 1, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Evie, the article was helpful.

And Popeye, we all know that quitting cold turkey is difficult if not impossible for some of us. Who can forget the awful sight of someone smoking thru the hole in their throat? I'd rather have her using these than cigarettes. I with more doctors were informed on the pros and cons of vaping, so I could ask her to consult him/her first.

9. scootertramp

scootertramp Moved On

Feb 22, 2011
    virginia
    Just to weigh in here, I have COPD, Emphysema. My Doctor is thrilled...and I am off med's. But I was not to the point your Mom is. I wish only the best for your family. I know it's working for me and I am being watched close by the doc. I refuse to even consider leaving nicotine in the dust...just can't do it. I have the "red carpet" for my E cig.

10. starsong

Jan 1, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks for the info cr, and sorry about your mom. I really am not all that concerned about fire/explosions. My only concern is whether it is advisable for someone to use an e-cig if they have lung issues. Being around us is one thing, inhaling the PG+flavoring herself is another -- I just want to make sure it cause problems. The article compared it to using a vaporizor, which is a good thing, and it said for COPD it is OK to use the e-cig. So, we'll see. I suppose if it starts to bother her then I suppose she can just stop using it.

11. scootertramp

scootertramp Moved On

Feb 22, 2011
    virginia
    If you suspect she is "cheating" she is, trust me...lol. I say go for it. But that is just my personal opinion. Sending some positive energy to ya!

12. techtony

techtony Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2010
    Louisiana USA
    Not only that but if she hasn't actually quit, the DT's can cause her to have a heart attack. My grandfather quit cold turkey at 60 and had multiple heart attacks and was hospitalized for more than a month. I'm not trying to scare anyone, I'm just saying that at an older age quiting could actually be dangerous.

13. starsong

Jan 1, 2011
    SoCal
    Well!! Now there's the answer I was hoping for :) That's exactly my aunt's ailment. I'm so happy to hear you are able to be off meds and able to enjoy vaping. And happy your doctor is behind your choice. Excellent!

14. Frick

Frick Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2011
    Ohio
    From what I've read, most doctors are supportive of vaping, especially if it gets their patients to stop smoking.

Hope it works for your aunt, star. I say go for it, because as was said, if you think she's cheating...she is.

15. leaford

leaford Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Just to throw in my $0.02, when my mother was in the hospital with terminal liver disease, she needed a respiratory medicine called albuterol. It was delivered using vaporized PG as a carrier. PG is also used in asthma inhalers, and to deliver respiratory medication to lung transplant patients.

16. scootertramp

scootertramp Moved On

Feb 22, 2011
    virginia
    Exactly! I have inhalers still hanging around and a Nebulizer. All that vapor all these years....now I have one with nicotine in it....woo hoo...and the only one I use now is my PV...amazing the difference a month made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.