Possible Convert but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
I just got a call from my aunt who heard through my mom that I was using e-cigs and now she is interested. She is 75 yrs old, and on oxygen, bless her heart, mainly because she smoked all her life. So she had to give up smoking, but I suspect she still cheats. :facepalm:

At first I was all jazzed about getting her started on these, but it occurred to me that maybe she shouldn't even do this if she's on oxygen. Hmmm. She has no internet access so I was going to do the ordering for her, but now I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Any opinions on this?

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't know anything on the subject but here is an article I found concerning someone with COPD and the use of e-cigs as a benefit.

The full article.
Is nicotine bad for you - Steam cigarettes - Electronic steam cigarette - Nicotine Addicted Smokers With COPD May Find Relief With Electronic Cigarettes | You Work Online

And I don't see how it could ignite a fire. Sure the heating element gets hot and produces vaper. But my stove eyes will boil water into vapor and I'm sure that is alot hotter. No spark no flame. I even have a friends mother who is on oxygen and has gas heat and a gas stove. Those are open flames. She has been told that she should turn off the oxygen while lighting the stove or heater but she uses the oxygen when she is cooking. (Which she probably shouldn't) I just don't see the harm but I'm not an expert. Good luck to her though.

crbrown

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Kansas
Star, my mother is on oxygen for the same reasons. She was told she couldn't be with in 3 feet of an open flame, but that the danger increases inside her home because the air is enriched from the oxygen. I use mine at her house and it dosent seem to bother her and we havent blown up...yet
Mom was able to stop smoking so no need to vape, but she is able to be around mine with no breathing problems and she's not able to do that with cigarette smoke.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Thanks Evie, the article was helpful.

And Popeye, we all know that quitting cold turkey is difficult if not impossible for some of us. Who can forget the awful sight of someone smoking thru the hole in their throat? I'd rather have her using these than cigarettes. I with more doctors were informed on the pros and cons of vaping, so I could ask her to consult him/her first.

scootertramp

Moved On
Feb 22, 2011
virginia
Just to weigh in here, I have COPD, Emphysema. My Doctor is thrilled...and I am off med's. But I was not to the point your Mom is. I wish only the best for your family. I know it's working for me and I am being watched close by the doc. I refuse to even consider leaving nicotine in the dust...just can't do it. I have the "red carpet" for my E cig.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Thanks for the info cr, and sorry about your mom. I really am not all that concerned about fire/explosions. My only concern is whether it is advisable for someone to use an e-cig if they have lung issues. Being around us is one thing, inhaling the PG+flavoring herself is another -- I just want to make sure it cause problems. The article compared it to using a vaporizor, which is a good thing, and it said for COPD it is OK to use the e-cig. So, we'll see. I suppose if it starts to bother her then I suppose she can just stop using it.

Star, my mother is on oxygen for the same reasons. She was told she couldn't be with in 3 feet of an open flame, but that the danger increases inside her home because the air is enriched from the oxygen. I use mine at her house and it dosent seem to bother her and we havent blown up...yet
Mom was able to stop smoking so no need to vape, but she is able to be around mine with no breathing problems and she's not able to do that with cigarette smoke.

techtony

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2010
Louisiana USA
Thanks Evie, the article was helpful.

And Popeye, we all know that quitting cold turkey is difficult if not impossible for some of us. Who can forget the awful sight of someone smoking thru the hole in their throat? I'd rather have her using these than cigarettes. I with more doctors were informed on the pros and cons of vaping, so I could ask her to consult him/her first.

Not only that but if she hasn't actually quit, the DT's can cause her to have a heart attack. My grandfather quit cold turkey at 60 and had multiple heart attacks and was hospitalized for more than a month. I'm not trying to scare anyone, I'm just saying that at an older age quiting could actually be dangerous.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Well!! Now there's the answer I was hoping for :) That's exactly my aunt's ailment. I'm so happy to hear you are able to be off meds and able to enjoy vaping. And happy your doctor is behind your choice. Excellent!

Just to weigh in here, I have COPD, Emphysema. My Doctor is thrilled...and I am off med's. But I was not to the point your Mom is. I wish only the best for your family. I know it's working for me and I am being watched close by the doc. I refuse to even consider leaving nicotine in the dust...just can't do it. I have the "red carpet" for my E cig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread