Post pictures of your Nimbus builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamoch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
La Mirada, CA
I originally posted this on another thread but here you go!

image.jpg
2x 3mm silica wicks with 28 awg kanthal, 3.2 wrap

image.jpg image.jpg
tucked one end of wick under a coil on each side & trimmed the rest off.

image.jpg
Ohm'd out to 1.0, was hoping for less but oh well. vaping goodness I was concerned I would have to drill out the air holes but it hits fine & I am getting thick clouds with great flavor & TH. BTW, the top cap is a tight fit on the o-rings, I lubed them up with juice and that did the trick for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,387
Last edited:

div

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2010
So California
I saw a Nimbus last night and tried it out...I may convert to this. It was omg good. Not sure how he did it, it was wrapped with a loop on top. I want one. It had the warmth, taste and vapor that I didn't think was possible. Sure a thick cloud... okay it was massive, but I like that the vapor had substance to it, not airy and full flavor. He had drilled out the air holes bigger too. Looking to see where I can get one.

Kamoch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
La Mirada, CA
Damn does anyone know how dual coil works? I did 28g kanthal 2/3 wraps on both silica. Resistance came out to .5 Anyone know how to get it around .8-.1 ohms with dual coils?

Seems to get very hot also when chain vaping.

You can try a couple of things. First try wrapping more coils to increase resistance, say 3/4 or 4/5 wrap of 28 gage, or thinner gauge wire like 30 gauge and 3/4 wrap. As far as heat it is to be expected on a .5 ohm coil, with 4 volts from a fully charged battery on a mech mod you are drawing 8 amps of current and vaping at 32 watts! That's why you see people drilling out their airholes so big, it heps cool the vapor & give you big plumes.

Last edited:

Kamoch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
La Mirada, CA
I fiddled around with my Nimbus tonight, 3/2 wrapped quad 28awg coils around 3mm silica doubled over & looped over the posts. 0.3 Ohms = too low & too much for me.:evil: The whole mod got hot & drained my MNKE 18650 to 2.7 volts! I like my face & fingers just the way they are so I tore that setup out & did dual 3/2 coils of 30awg, around doubled over 3mm silica. It Ohm'd out to 0.7 & still puts out good flavor, TH & clouds.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I fiddled around with my Nimbus tonight, 3/2 wrapped quad 28awg coils around 3mm silica doubled over & looped over the posts. 0.3 Ohms = too low & too much for me.:evil: The whole mod got hot & drained my MNKE 18650 to 2.7 volts! I like my face & fingers just the way they are so I tore that setup out & did dual 3/2 coils of 30awg, around doubled over 3mm silica. It Ohm'd out to 0.7 & still puts out good flavor, TH & clouds.

I'd be a little scared to run a 0.3 as well. My 0.5 it's already pushing it I think.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
This was how mine was set up. 5 in. of silica on each side. loops tied at the top. wrapped 4/3 28ga dual coil rated at .4ohms I believe. I would make it .2ohm, but I dont want to have to drill out the air holes on the nimbus. Now I'm trying out .6 ribbon wire. Much smoother vape without having to bore out the holes.

View attachment 206833

What's the deal with the ribbon wire? Never used it before. Does it go by gage, and is it still kanthal?

JetSet

Feb 11, 2013
West Covina, CA
What's the deal with the ribbon wire? Never used it before. Does it go by gage, and is it still kanthal?

Being that ribbon wire is flat, it covers more surface area of the wick, which in turns burn more e-juice. Ribbon wire is still kanthal wire, but it is measured in a different way. .3 = 32ga .5= 30ga and .8 =28ga.
For me, a 3/2 wrap of .6 ribbon wire gave a much cooler vape than a 3/2 wrap 28ga. It is all in preference though. If you are ok with using 28ga kanthal then by all means use it. Ribbon wire IMO is a little more difficult to set up because it isn't as "springy" as the 28ga.

I did bite the bullet and had my nimbus' air holes bored out to 1/16. Amazing vapor, but sacrifice some of the flavor

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Being that ribbon wire is flat, it covers more surface area of the wick, which in turns burn more e-juice. Ribbon wire is still kanthal wire, but it is measured in a different way. .3 = 32ga .5= 30ga and .8 =28ga.
For me, a 3/2 wrap of .6 ribbon wire gave a much cooler vape than a 3/2 wrap 28ga. It is all in preference though. If you are ok with using 28ga kanthal then by all means use it. Ribbon wire IMO is a little more difficult to set up because it isn't as "springy" as the 28ga.

I did bite the bullet and had my nimbus' air holes bored out to 1/16. Amazing vapor, but sacrifice some of the flavor

So, if I'm used to using 28g... what size ribbon would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread