Prejudice turns scientists into 'liars'

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
This one is a little disturbing. I had to read through this a couple of times (the report and the paper) - I just got home from the boozer you see - and I don't think it's well written; it's not so easy to understand on the first pass. I'll summarise: It seems that the US American Journal of Preventive Medicine have decided that it's a good idea to understand why young adults might try an e-cig, and then, armed with that information, go about the place suggesting lack of information, fear of the future, booga-booga-booga etc. in a targeted attempt to frighten these young adults - most in the study were smokers - not to try e-cigs.

I think the fisrt guy to comment on the report (first link) nailed it: he says "...this is what prejudice does to people - it turns them into, well, liars."

First link is the report, and the second the paper (this is linked to at the start of the report, but as I missed it I'll include the direct link):

An astonishing statement made by public health scientists: young adults (smokers) should be deterred from trying e-cigarettes (and therefore maintain their smoking habit?

http://www.ajpmonline.org/webfiles/images/journals/amepre/AMEPRE_3935-stamped-010714.pdf

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I think the comment to Dr. Farsalinos' report bears quoting further. It's by Robert Innes, a staunch and articulate supporter of vaping:

The logic is so very obvious, but this is what prejudice does to people - it turns them into, well, liars. On the other hand, could it be that they are so full of self importance that the ultimate demise of the 'young men' mentioned is less important than prestige; than being seen to have got it so badly wrong, or, are they so twisted by their own programming that they fail to see that they are purveyors of falsehood? There is bound to be an answer but I am afraid that only they can find it, and it is hardly likely considering they have what must be a very odd concept of honesty....

Yes, I think it could very well be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread