Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi, I am a noob that has just started vaping with rda. I am wondering what kind of premade coils I should buy for a 25mm rda. Going to order from fasttech since I have placed more orders there.

I dunno? What type of Mod are you using to drive your RDA?

If you are using a Regulated Mod, maybe a sample Pack like this would be Good Call?

$5.61 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (8 Specs) - 6-pack/spec / fused clapton + tiger + clapton + mix twisted + hive + quad + flat twisted + alien clapton coil at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

lovevape88

Jul 27, 2017

Thank you for Quick reply. I have ordered joytech cuboid 150w and Kennedy style rda 25mm. Am on a budjet after vacation :)

Also thinking a dual setup at between 0, 3 and 0, 5 is good.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok :) what is bether for flavour? I would like bigger coils for the bigger rda, but i am a noob so i dont know how to decide.

I'm maybe not the best person to ask. Because I like Single Wire Single Coils.

But if you are going to do a Fasttech Order, for 2 Bucks I would Definitely throw in a Pack of these...

$2.16 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 28 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 0.6ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And since you are using a Dual Coils on a Regulated Mod, maybe a Pack of these Also...

$2.20 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.32ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Exotic Multi-Wire Coils are pretty. But sometimes they can have Slow Ramp-Up times (something I can almost take). And they can have Slow Ramp-Down times (something I Can't Stand).

Reactions: lovevape88

lovevape88

Jul 27, 2017
I'm maybe not the best person to ask. Because I like Single Wire Single Coils.

But if you are going to do a Fasttech Order, for 2 Bucks I would Definitely throw in a Pack of these...

$2.16 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 28 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 0.6ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And since you are using a Dual Coils on a Regulated Mod, maybe a Pack of these Also...

$2.20 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.32ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Exotic Multi-Wire Coils are pretty. But sometimes they can have Slow Ramp-Up times (something I can almost take). And they can have Slow Ramp-Down times (something I Can't Stand).

Thank you :) Ill start with what you have advised me with. But wont the 0, 32 ohm coils become 0, 16 ohm in a dual coil setup?

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... But wont the 0, 32 ohm coils become 0, 16 ohm in a dual coil setup?

Yes. When you use Dual Coils, the Total Resistance is 1/2 of each Individual Coil.

That is why I asked you what type of Mod you have? Because 0.16 Ohms would be Too Low for a Single Battery Mechanical Mod.

Fine for a Regulated Mod though.

lovevape88

Jul 27, 2017
Yes. When you use Dual Coils, the Total Resistance is 1/2 of each Individual Coil.

That is why I asked you what type of Mod you have? Because 0.16 Ohms would be Too Low for a Single Battery Mechanical Mod.

Fine for a Regulated Mod though.

Thank you again :) the cuboid wont fire well at low ohms bellow 0.2 i think. I am also afraid to go to low and blow up my batteris :) Maybe i shouldnt

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you again :) the cuboid wont fire well at low ohms bellow 0.2 i think. I am also afraid to go to low and blow up my batteris :) Maybe i shouldnt

I think a Cuboid is supposed to fire down to 0.1 Ohms in Power Mode (VW). But going with a Higher Total Ohms isn't a bad call.

And Ohms on a Regulated Mod doesn't effect Amp Draw on the Battery(s). You can run Any Ohms you want that the Mod will fire.

It's the amount of Wattage and the amount of Voltage that the Battery(s) have that determines Amp Draw on a Regulated Mod.

lovevape88

Jul 27, 2017
I think a Cuboid is supposed to fire down to 0.1 Ohms in Power Mode (VW). But going with a Higher Total Ohms isn't a bad call.

And Ohms on a Regulated Mod doesn't effect Amp Draw on the Battery(s). You can run Any Ohms you want that the Mod will fire.

It's the amount of Wattage and the amount of Voltage that the Battery(s) have that determines Amp Draw on a Regulated Mod.

Ok :) Clearly need to educate my self about the batterys.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok :) Clearly need to educate my self about the batterys.

Coil Ohms Matter when you are using a Mechanical Mod. And the type of Batteries you use and the Coil(s) Ohms you use you have to consider Ohms Law.

Check Out this site...

Battery drain

It's a Good Site where you can Plug in Numbers and see what happens.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks :) it seems like the cuboid have a safety chip that allpws it to go up to max 25 amps. That is why it is bether fitted with higher ohm.

If the 25A Limit is at the Atomizer, then you are right. You are probably going to want to run more in the 0.3+ Ohm and above range ( 0.6 Ohms per Coil on a Dual Coil) if you want to use the Full Wattage range.

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
Thanks :) it seems like the cuboid have a safety chip that allpws it to go up to max 25 amps. That is why it is bether fitted with higher ohm.
Not really. On a regulated mod the wattage delivered to your atty is limited by the max voltage (of the chip) for higher ohms, and wattage is limited by the max amps (of the chip) for lower ohms. The 25 amp is likely the cuboid chip limit. Examples: dna 75 chip has a 6.2 Volt and 30.0 Amp limit. dna 250 chip has a 9.3 Volt and 55 Amp limit. For a dna example, look at the Evolv DNA 250 Datasheet; the output power graphs. The spot for max wattage is between ~0.08 and ~0.34 Ohms. This is just to get max wattage (and who really uses 250W). I would assume the cuboid is around the same, and maybe up to 0.5 Ohms if it does 9 Volts since it's only a 150W mod. Really, build wherever you want if your batteries that can handle the requested wattage, and your chip can deliver that wattage to your atty.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not really. On a regulated mod the wattage delivered to your atty is limited by the max voltage (of the chip) for higher ohms, and wattage is limited by the max amps (of the chip) for lower ohms. The 25 amp is likely the cuboid chip limit. Examples: dna 75 chip has a 6.2 Volt and 30.0 Amp limit. dna 250 chip has a 9.3 Volt and 55 Amp limit. For a dna example, look at the Evolv DNA 250 Datasheet; the output power graphs. The spot for max wattage is between ~0.08 and ~0.34 Ohms. This is just to get max wattage (and who really uses 250W). I would assume the cuboid is around the same, and maybe up to 0.5 Ohms if it does 9 Volts since it's only a 150W mod. Really, build wherever you want if your batteries that can handle the requested wattage, and your chip can deliver that wattage to your atty.

Seems like the OP is up against Two Issues.

If He builds down to the Low Limit of what the Mods says it can fire, 0.1 Ohms in Power Mode, the 25A Atomizer Limit will kick in around 60w.

And if he builds Higher, say 0.3 Ohms, now he is OK with the 25A Limit, but should use a 30A 18650 if the Mod will fire at 150w.

If Joytech had used a Board with a 35A Atomizer Limit, it would have Solved the 1st Issue. And if they had limited the Mod's Output to 120 Watts, then it would have worked with Two 20A 18650's over the Entire Wattage Range.

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
Sure a higher chip amp limit would allow max wattage lower. But the chip also has a max voltage limit.

The chip's 25 Amp limit will limit the max wattage at low ohms. P=RI^2. For 150W and 25A, R=0.24 Ohms. The minimum Ohms the chip can fire 150W is 0.24 Ohms. At 0.1 Ohms, the chip would need to provide 38.7 A (@ 3.87V). So no because of the amp limit.

The chip's 9 Volt limit will limit the max wattage at high ohms. R=V^2/P. The max Ohms for 150W is 0.54 Ohms. At 0.7 Ohms, the chip would need to provide 10.2V (@14A). So no because of the voltage limit.

These calculations are not real world by the way (no efficiency/star alignment/etc). Really you don't need all this math. Just know there is a range for max wattage that decreases either way, higher Ohms or lower Ohms. In this case it is from 0.24 - 0.54 Ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread