Preventing residue in PC case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostbladder

Jul 3, 2020
I sit at my computer a lot during the day for university, work, and to play games. A few years back, a lot of residue from vaping built up in my case. Didn’t notice until my GTX 1060 stopped working one day. Looked inside and the micro capacitors on the card were sitting in a bit of it and had corroded off the board.

Hypothetically, it shouldn’t have done that. It shouldn’t be conductive or corrosive from what I’ve read, but that’s what happened, honest truth.

Few weeks ago I was swapping out my motherboard and noticed there is once again a bit of residue build up on fans in the case. Not as bad as before. I cleaned it all out with rubbing alcohol.

Is there some kind of way I can prevent this residue from building up in the case? Just been trying to keep a window cracked and blow my vapor out the window.

Maybe some paper towel over the intake fan ports? It’ll reduce airflow I’m sure, but my components usually stay well under harmful temperatures. None of my frequently played games are very intensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haktuspit

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    This seems to be common these days. Vapor "residue" killing PCs. I only use old salvaged computers and although they do have residue on the MOBO, they keep chugging along. Never killed one yet.

I suspect today's newer MOBOs and graphics cards, while more expensive, are constructed with inferior components compared to just 8-10 years ago.

Since you need airflow inside the case, which will pull in vapor, best solution to this is to not vape anywhere around your computer, unfortunately.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I sit at my computer a lot during the day for university, work, and to play games. A few years back, a lot of residue from vaping built up in my case. Didn’t notice until my GTX 1060 stopped working one day. Looked inside and the micro capacitors on the card were sitting in a bit of it and had corroded off the board.

Hypothetically, it shouldn’t have done that. It shouldn’t be conductive or corrosive from what I’ve read, but that’s what happened, honest truth.

Few weeks ago I was swapping out my motherboard and noticed there is once again a bit of residue build up on fans in the case. Not as bad as before. I cleaned it all out with rubbing alcohol.

Is there some kind of way I can prevent this residue from building up in the case? Just been trying to keep a window cracked and blow my vapor out the window.

Maybe some paper towel over the intake fan ports? It’ll reduce airflow I’m sure, but my components usually stay well under harmful temperatures. None of my frequently played games are very intensive.

Just curious...

But do you have your PC on your Desk? Or is it sitting on the Floor?

• Useful
    Reactions: Javichu

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    A couple months ago, @markfm said he was going to try the above.
    Wonder if he might be interested in contributing his results in this thread?

An easy smaller format one could be made with this filter: https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Purifiers-Furnace-Filters-Conditioner/dp/B074MKZNFW

Edit:
    Simpler: https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-Portable-Box-Fan/dp/B010IATVYM

Along with the Cut to size filter.

The better price version of the 16x48 carbon pre filter material: https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Pre-filter-Honeywell-Filter-CFS/dp/B01KIKYBBK

Tape a piece of the filter across the back and side air inlets.

A long as it's only run on low I wouldn't expect any heat issues.

Alternately build a small frame with 1/2x2, to get increased intake surface area, minimize stress on the motor.

I've got the fan and filter material on the way, will see how it does.

Reactions: Opinionated

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    Just curious...

But do you have your PC on your Desk? Or is it sitting on the Floor?

yep,important question.

My previous pc died on my because i had it on my desk.
    It gunked the whole thing,the fan just kept in sucking in all the vapor from my vaping,these days i keep my pc on small platform i made (nothing fancy,just a stack of old dvd cases lol) and i haven't had a problem since then.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    yep,important question.

My previous pc died on my because i had it on my desk.
    It gunked the whole thing,the fan just kept in sucking in all the vapor from my vaping,these days i keep my pc on small platform i made (nothing fancy,just a stack of old dvd cases lol) and i haven't had a problem since then.

Yeah... Even if someone Doesn't vape, I always suggest that people Move their PC's off the Desk to reduce Fan Noise. And to use a Power Plan to Vary CPU GHz along with PWM thermal settings their Case Fans.

For a Vaper, it could be Doubly Important.

Myself, I Haven't any real Problems with my PC's. But then again, I'm not Fogging the Room. And just about Always have a Window Opened at least slightly.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've vaped in front of my Notebook for years as well as my full sized PC with no sign of vapor accumulation. I clean my monitor here and there, but the rag is clean after using Windex on the monitor.

Maybe PG/VG/Nic isn't as hard on a PC as flavored mixes. Back when I smoked at my PC I had to clean off cigarette residue occasionally.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yeah... Even if someone Doesn't vape, I always suggest that people Move their PC's off the Desk to reduce Fan Noise. And to use a Power Plan to Vary CPU GHz along with PWM thermal settings their Case Fans.

For a Vaper, it could be Doubly Important.

Myself, I Haven't any real Problems with my PC's. But then again, I'm not Fogging the Room. And just about Always have a Window Opened at least slightly.

BTW - One of my PC's has a Bottom Mounted/Bottom Air Intake PSU on it. And if I just put that on a Carpeted surface it would Severely Restrict the incoming Air Flow.

So I took a piece of 3/4" x 12" Wood I has sitting in the garage and cut it slightly Longer than the PC Case. Then Spray Painted it Black on one side. Then placed my PC on that.

Looks Great and the Airflow to the PSU is More than Enough.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Just got a new PC and the vape building up on the clear window was driving me crazy but I cleaned it up and it was really only on the outside mostly. Mine sits on a piece of plywood wrapped in vinyl on the floor. I said it in another thread but I was seriously considering giving up vaping over this. We'll see what the future holds.

I do use an air purifier but the hepa filters get clogged with vape eventually. It's probably going to be dripping when I clean it out tomorrow. It helps but it's not the end all solution I wish it was. Would probably help if I sat it right next to me and blew every hit at it but I don't want to do that.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I've vaped in front of my Notebook for years as well as my full sized PC with no sign of vapor accumulation. I clean my monitor here and there, but the rag is clean after using Windex on the monitor.

Maybe PG/VG/Nic isn't as hard on a PC as flavored mixes. Back when I smoked at my PC I had to clean off cigarette residue occasionally.

JMO...

But I think some PC's and or Laptops have a Higher Electrostatic Charge on their Components then others. Maybe an Grounding Issue?

And that Electrostatic Charge acts just like Powder Coating only with e-Cigarette Vapor.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I'm not too sure it matters where the PC is sitting in relation to the floor.

I'm looking at the vapor in the room and it's all over the place, including hovering around knee/shin level.

Is there something I'm missing here?

If Exhaled Vapor can be a Problem, then the Greater the Distance from the source of the Vapor (ie: Your Mouth) has to Help with the Concentration of Vapor to Air being sucked into your Computer.

Think of it like 6 Feet Social Distancing for your PC.

LOL

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 9, 2010
    Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
    One of these near the computer:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-TrueAir-04532GM-Eliminator/dp/B002SHCEVG

The back of it outputs filtered air.

Alternately, here's the big-brother DIY version. A simple wood frame, doubled-up piece of activated carbon pre-filter material (about $9), held closed with a piece of Velcro, and small tabletop fan that has a "good" form factor (flat back, cord on the outside edge of the frame). I'll replace the temporary masking tape on the side inlets with a piece of good patching tape.

This fan is louder than the True Air, but moves a lot of air and does a nice job of filtering.
    741bdbcafba8562d6db85407c0348acb.jpg

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Reactions: markfm
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread