Status
Not open for further replies.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
I posted earlier that I thought .1 volt settings are more precise.

I always wonder why no one (that I have seen) mentions the lack of precision in .5 watt increments. You can get more precise adjustments on most VV devices, but it depends on the resistance of the head you're using:

If you are using a low resistance (let's say 2 ohm) head, going from 3.7V to 3.8V increases the wattage by .4 each .1 volt.

On a 3.0 ohm head in the same wattage range, going from 4.5V from 4.6V increases the wattage by .3 watts.

Is this important? Probably to some, probably not to others, but it's worth mentioning. The more precise adjustments are one of the main reasons to use SR heads on VV devices.

dredd0606

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
Lethbridge, AB Canada
I always wonder why no one (that I have seen) mentions the lack of precision in .5 watt increments. You can get more precise adjustments on most VV devices, but it depends on the resistance of the head you're using:

If you are using a low resistance (let's say 2 ohm) head, going from 3.7V to 3.8V increases the wattage by .4 each .1 volt.

On a 3.0 ohm head in the same wattage range, going from 4.5V from 4.6V increases the wattage by .3 watts.

Is this important? Probably to some, probably not to others, but it's worth mentioning. The more precise adjustments are one of the main reasons to use SR heads on VV devices.

Good point.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hi, just for info, yes, the watts are in 0.5 increments, which works fine for me. The variable voltage option is in 0.1 increments, so if some-one wanted to they could use that. I just use variable wattage about 98% of the time. I like having both options on one pv.
Provari have nothing to lose if they add variable wattage. A lot of people have asked them about it, and they've said they are constantly being asked. Anyone who didn't want it could just carry on using the one they have solely with vv. It's not an issue for me either way tho.

Last edited:

Michaaar

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
Pittsburgh
Does anyone here understand electronics? VW=VV. It's the same thing, you have a certain OHM atomizer, if you change the watts... you are changing the voltage... hence there is no difference in VW to VV.

Watts = Voltage squared/ resistance. VV, VW, BTU.. doesn't matter how you do it, it's all the same end result.

lewistein

Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
INDIANAPOLIS
Provari on its way:) the price was a bit more than I wanted to spend...granted I wanted Black with Blue display. However, my other choice was a zmax at half the cost. Figuring that I would eventually end up getting a Provari eventually, and the chances that the zmax may end up dieing, I bit the bullet and hit the buy button. The fact that they have a 1 year warranty on the Provari speaks more than the chinese knockoffs and the 30 day if any warranty. Not to say that all the knockoffs are crap, but when a company can back up their product with a good warranty and has a great track record, it speaks. I still use the cheap chinese mods, and accessories, but I feel confident that the Provari will be a long time friend.

Ditto! Amen.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
cyclotron:7851607 said:
I'd love to see a Provari with OLED, a better menu system, and both VW and VV options. All of these have been done so its not like its hard to do. The technology for these options have been around for years so its nothing new either.

Honestly, the biggest CON for the Provari has to be the menu system. Outdated screen technology and a menu system that you can't change voltage super fast. Not a deal breaker but if you had to give a flaw to a near flawless device Id say that would be it.

Having a quicker way to change voltage would be a better improvement than adding VW honestly. Most people vape to taste and with some juices you'll find you have to tweak your wattage anyway.

If you have a super quick way to adjust voltage ... there really isn't a need for VW, as you just adjust the voltage based on taste. In such a case VW is really only saving you a second or two of time. Time many people enjoy "tweaking" their vape anyways.

Last edited:

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
I could see VW circuitry becoming the future of noob friendly devices though ... preventing new vapers from blowing their 'mizers due to over voltage. For advanced users though, VW does very little outside of letting you slap on any device and vape right away without tweaking. But again, most advance users rather enjoy the tweaking to taste.

POSEIDON

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Memphis
Doesnt the Provari v2(mini in my case) have protection from blowing attys? I know if I over volt my atty I get e1 and it dont fire.

I could see VW circuitry becoming the future of noob friendly devices though ... preventing new vapers from blowing their 'mizers due to over voltage. For advanced users though, VW does very little outside of letting you slap on any device and vape right away without tweaking. But again, most advance users rather enjoy the tweaking to taste.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
Doesnt the Provari v2(mini in my case) have protection from blowing attys? I know if I over volt my atty I get e1 and it dont fire.

Indeed. Though I was speaking about entry level PVs with VW to protect new users from blowing their coils. I could see where in that instance, VW over VV could be a more proper approach. Not saying it WILL happen either, I just see the potential upside of VW over VV on entry level pvs.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
Honestly, the biggest CON for the Provari has to be the menu system. Outdated screen technology and a menu system that you can't change voltage super fast. Not a deal breaker but if you had to give a flaw to a near flawless device Id say that would be it.

Having a quicker way to change voltage would be a better improvement than adding VW honestly. Most people vape to taste and with some juices you'll find you have to tweak your wattage anyway.

If you have a super quick way to adjust voltage ... there really isn't a need for VW, as you just adjust the voltage based on taste. In such a case VW is really only saving you a second or two of time. Time many people enjoy "tweaking" their vape anyways.
I agree with the menu system!

justinred

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2012
PH
Agree on this re adjust voltage based on taste. A .1 volt adjustment spells a big difference on taste and .5 watts increments is just to big.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.

Umm you know that it only takes 30 seconds to cycle from 3.0 back to 3.0 right? If you have a twitchy finger like me from playing video games you can get it to cycle even quicker. I think that the screen and the menu that the Provari has now works just fine.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand

Quite a few advanced vapers are picking up these vw devices. Some use vw and still use their vv pcs. I've seen several experienced vapers saying they have bought a new vw APV.
If they manage to put it in an ego size pv it will become widespread. Like the twist. Don't know if they could do that tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread