Problem with my newer stainless VAMO compared to my older gunmetal one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
madvapes sells a "large battery spring" that is .645 inches at the base Large Battery Spring. Check the size of your Vamo cap to see if that will fit snugly.

Someone has tried that one and commented that it did not work—too big. Several people have had success with Avid Vapor's, HeliX hot spring. The Silver Bullet/Omega hot spring has been working for me but it has been out of stock for some time.

Ok, just did a small test.

I placed my gunmetal bottom cap/spring on the SS Vamo.... and chain vaped for a few minutes.
It did NOT get hot. It got barily even warm... however...the RBA was pretty hot on the top cap from chain vaping.

I placed the SS bottom/spring back on.... vaped a little.... and it started getting hot.

Also... maybe its just me. But with the weaker spring, it seemed I had more vapor
As soon as I put the thicker spring back on, the vapor seemed less.....

I did the same thing last night. I received a SS vamo and it was getting hot at the end cap, I switched to the gun metal version end cap that I swapped the spring from a provari end cap with and no heat at all. What I have noticed Is the SS factory spring gives a lag in the fire of the coil and also makes the end cap hot. With a provari spring there is no lag or heat

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
I was just about to order a v2 vamo from smoktek today. I have a saved shopping cart ready to go, came here to double check pricing info in other threads and saw this.

Has anyone contacted smoktek about this yet and what do they have to say about it?

Im a die hard vmax user and was interested in a vamo as a backup. Seeing this now Im gonna wait. I had got caught up in the lavatube 1.5 issues awhile back, learned my lesson on doing research on new apv's. Where does smoktek stand on this, anyone??

yellowrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
MN
Just got my vamo ss v2 from smoktech today. It does get warm at the cap after a few passes in a row, but cools pretty quick. Im vaping at 9w with 2.8 new vivi nova that is leaking.. :mad: I guess I will try out the Provari spring, but honestly not to concerned since i dont chain vape to elevate the temps.

Edit: Polvari spring does not look like it will fit due to revised cap

Last edited:

KevinNash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2009
I just found an old 18650 mod spring I can try in the SS cap. I'll look at that tomorrow and keep you in touch.

Bed time for me now ( it's 00:38 AM here in France :p ).

Test done and... success !!!

I replaced the spring, keeping the original SS cap and no more heat ! So the original spring itself is resistive :facepalm:

The SS cap have no central plot, so we can't use others Vamos thinner spring in it, I used this spring with a little modification at the base to fit in the Vamo : Indulgence bottom cap

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
I just got back from my local hardware store with two new springs. Not sure if I'll get one from provape, although that one may be better as these don't really stay put when the cap is taken off. I asked the store if I could try the springs, before I bought them explaining that I use an e-cigg, yada yada, the bottom gets hot and it shouldn't. Local mom and pop place didn't give me an issue about it. I was also kinda by myself in the back of the store. Cost me a whole 2.29 cents for two springs.

Anyways, question, the spring while it's working better, little to no heat now on the coil, it's very resistive. There's a lot of pressure from this spring being put onto the battery. Is this an issue at all? Should I cut down the spring? Thank You!

KevinNash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2009
I enlarged the bottom base of the spring ( it was too thin ) to fit well in the Vamo cap.

You can do the same thing, it will stay in the cap and also be shorter.

Cut it only if it's too hard to screw, more pressure is better than not enough.

ressortmoivamo.jpg

And yes, it clear up the lag to fire the aty AND the cap heat problem :D

Last edited:

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
While its nice to try and fix these and its a good idea to do so if you can... what have your vendors had to say about it? Did you guys report the issue to them? Id think its important they know about it. None of us wanna see these vent on someone.

I was just about to buy a vamo from smoktek, now Im waiting. I do not want a wonky unit.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
I just received my stainless steel v2 Vamo from SmokTek, and my spring gets hot enough that I can't touch it after a few 5v (RMS mode) 5 second vapes. The battery Efest 18650 Hybrid 2250mAh, doesn't get hot, I guess not enough contact to conduct the heat, but the cap gets warm because it is touching more spring? In any case, not the vendor's fault. These Chucking Finese just have a hard time getting it right.

Fortunately, I already have a couple Helix springs on the way from Avid Vaper, that I ordered because of this thread. I'll try the spring from my Young June Chrome v2 VV Tube, and see if it gets as hot with it...if it fits :p

I love the look and feel of my SS Vamo, and my finish is consistent, luckily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread