Provape 'boxmod'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
As a Provari 2.5 owner that has moved on to mechs and DNA40 devices, and since the finish of my vaporshark came off after only 2 months of use i am beginning to wonder...

Am i the only person that would pay good money for a Provape made box/zen/flask style device in the 40-50W range, 18650s only?
It wouldn't need to have temperature control, and i'd even be fine with the near unbreakable 1980s display.
The known Provape quality and durability in something other than a tube, with a bit more Oooomp than the current model.

What do you think?

graffiti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2014
CT
They'll never do it. They stated in the tour they did with pbusardo that they have no intention to get into the higher voltage/amperage game. They have their niche and I don't think they'll ever leave that, simply because there's so many other 50w+ mods out there that they'd be playing from behind the eight ball.

The ProVari is the Rolls Royce of the vaping world. Really well built but will never win a race or even place well (yes, I know there are fast Rolls, but you get my point). There are plenty of mods out there that are R8s, or Veyrons for that matter.

Why fix what ain't broken?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
They'll never do it. They stated in the tour they did with pbusardo that they have no intention to get into the higher voltage/amperage game. They have their niche and I don't think they'll ever leave that, simply because there's so many other 50w+ mods out there that they'd be playing from behind the eight ball.

The ProVari is the Rolls Royce of the vaping world. Really well built but will never win a race or even place well (yes, I know there are fast Rolls, but you get my point). There are plenty of mods out there that are R8s, or Veyrons for that matter.

I agree with what you are trying to imply, but that's a bad analogy.

Rolls Royce automobiles are not built well. They require a ton of regular service, and rarely last as long as a Chevy pickup.
They are chock full of leather and burl, and are purely status symbols.

You don't buy a Rolls for reliability.

RR/Bentley was a symbol of stuffy excess until the late 90's when Jermaine Dupree made the comment "you ain't a big dog unless you got a Bentley" on an episode of MTV's cribs.
Now every talentless tool in music wants one just to show off.

This is better:

Provari is the Toyota Camry of vapes.
Extremely dependable and built solid as a rock, but not really a performance oriented machine.
It does what it's supposed to very well and is built to last.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria

Yeah, i have seen the videos and aware of their statements. Those statements however were made at a time where the mainstream clearomizer market KFL+ was still vaping at 13W and even that market has started to shift with the release of all the new Subtanks.

I wouldn't consider myself a high power vaper and i don't own a Subtank, but i do enjoy drippers at around 30W.
The argument around device safety seems to be centered around the Provari being able to use 18350s, and 20W is probably the most one can get out of those batteries. As far as health is concerned, i don't believe it is valid concern because it is quite possible to overheat a build at 10W, given a higher gauge wire with a lower amount of airflow.

It's true that there are plenty of higher powered devices out there, however short of some high-end devices that are near impossible to get a hold of, none even remotely comes close to the quality of a Provari.

So the question stands, if they made one, would you be interested/buy it?

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
I have said numerous times before both on here and IRL that I wish Provape would drop a good box. Something like the DNA40 or even a chip they create could power it. I would buy it in a heartbeat, my ProVaris and Provape 1s just don't do it for me anymore. I mostly either use a mech or 40w on a Lemo or 60-150w on my drippers.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
ProVape wouldn't want anything to do with the dna40 for the same reason Zen doesn't want anything to do with the dna 40. Its not reliable. I like the dna40 but I don't blame them. It comes with a boatload of potential issues and glitches. That's not what they're about.
They don't need it though. ProVape has proven they can build the most accurate, reliable board available. If they built a dual 18650 box capable of 50 watts or so, they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. I used ProVari mods for 2 years. I've never had one single problem with them. One was dropped out of a 5th floor window. The kayfun didn't survive but the provari did. A ProVape box mod would be awesome.

Libbydude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Idaho
I would LOVE to purchase a 100% made in the USA, with USA components, regulated dual 18650 box mod capable of 50 watts. Purpose built enclosure a must. No slant top project boxes. Clones deterred by low production costs. I would like this to be mass produced by a company that practices lean manufacturing with a well established quality control program.

"Boutiqe" (or, my dad and I make 10 a week and I need to get paid before the clones hit so you're gonna pay buddy!) is not the kind of thing I care to spend money on. The product value has to be based on materials and quality of construction rather than hype or rarity.

I can afford a provari but haven't been able to pull the trigger because it wouldn't suit all my needs. I really hope they can decide to keep up with what more and more vapers are finding enjoyable. Every successful company starts with a Niche. It's diversification that keeps them successful. The paradigm that existed when provape formulated their strategy has shifted. I sincerely hope they follow, for I would love to own what would surely be a very high quality product.

I appologize if this is disruptive or has drifted off topic. The thread topic just happened to catch me while I was contemplating some of these things.

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa

In the telecom world companies like Nokia and Blackberry that absolutely dominated the scene just a few short years ago, are pretty much has been because they refused to adapt, stubbornly sticking to a losing strategy.

In an industry like this one where things are changing fast, it really doesn't matter what kind of reputation Provape made for itself if they do nothing to keep their products relevant, if everyone gets so far ahead with other things the consumers want, they'll just be another footnote in the history of the industry.

Libbydude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Idaho
Most of the types who complain about ProVape making outdated products would never buy a high powered ProVape box, as they could get 5 PRC boxes or 'clones' for the same price...

So the provari suits your vaping style entirely. I like to hear success stories like that. It shows me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I may very well find a device that meets my requirements as well.

Libbydude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Idaho
Yes, even the ProVape-1. I vape not to smoke...

Well there's some common ground. I assure you that if I stopped vaping I would get a pack of cigs and a can of chew in the morning. I simply have to keep changing things up in order to stay on this path. I did not use tobacco begrudgingly. I loved everything about it.

I'm working really hard at loving vaping. I am sure that after enough time passes I will settle for tried and true. Until then...

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    I love my Provari V2 that I bought used here on the classies but I dont really use it anymore but will keep it forever as a back-up and I feel like I got my moneys worth out of it. I have dropped it more times that I care to count with the worst being 4 feet down to concrete. It hit hard enough to pop the pressed top cap half-way out and dented a Kayfun clone hard enough that the bottom fill screw still hangs when I remove it to re-fill. I unscrewed the Kayfun took a hammer and tapped the Provari cap back into place and it still works just fine, now that is quality!

alistairs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 3, 2014
    Castro Valley, CA, USA
    I'd be interested in a Provari for the legendary quality and durability. I don't even need a lot of power, and I don't really care if its a box or a tube. But right now I will not buy another device without temperature control. I think Provari needs to figure out how to move faster if they want to keep relevant.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 18, 2012
    Ontario
    As time goes by they are sure to have their market share eroded by "sticking to their guns".
    IMO they are outdone performance wise, by many less expensive devices.
    I've wrote provape asking for upgrades to allow me to continue using my "old friend"
    My 3 year old provari was and is still flawless and trouble free, but it sits retired on the shelf
    because I've chosen to move on to a more satisfying vape (imo) at resistance levels my "old friend"
    simply cannot support.

It owes me nothing, used it almost constantly for over 3 years, but times have changed.(for the better imo)
    I'll never go back, I'll never buy another provape product. It's not necessary. They've become irrelevent to my needs and desires.

If they come out with a new improved device at a reasonable price, I might consider it, but it ain't gonna happen. I'd be able to buy a slew of mechs or a handful of Isticks for the same price(likely).
    That ain't gonna happen either.

Sorry provape, you are dead to me. Your laurels will only get you so far(not far).
    Sad but true. (to me at least) Cheers.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    In the telecom world companies like Nokia and Blackberry that absolutely dominated the scene just a few short years ago, are pretty much has been because they refused to adapt, stubbornly sticking to a losing strategy.

In an industry like this one where things are changing fast, it really doesn't matter what kind of reputation Provape made for itself if they do nothing to keep their products relevant, if everyone gets so far ahead with other things the consumers want, they'll just be another footnote in the history of the industry.
    relevant to who? You and a hand full of people on a vaping forum?. Its a big world outside these walls. And many many people are quite satisfied with what provari and others make. Just the way it is. The fact seigali and vamo still sell well is testament to that.

In fact its opinions and people like you that have absolutely no effect on their sales or where they are headed. Every day more and more provari owners drop into the provari thread with many owning 2, 3 sometimes more.

If your paying attention rim is starting to regain traction in the business world where reliability and security and not apps matter and Microsoft owns Nokia. They are releasing a driod phone soon.

So by your analogies that's pretty much like provape being bought by joyetech or kanger. .

People been spouting the death of provari for years now. Yet they can't make them fast enough at $200+ a pop no less.

I'm sure many of DNA clone makers would love to have such problems

Oh and provari is the hummer of e cigs. Not the prettiest or feature rich, but tough as nails and dependable :D

And if ya want a bad a## box mod get a Kainos
    a09026e115b7.jpg
    f445f7767dd3.jpg

Last edited:

VictorC

ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2015
    Toronto, Ontario
    ecigs, like everything else in technology space, will continue to evolve at incredible pace. We'll see new groundbreaking technologies and better, smaller, safer devices every three months or so. But it doesn't make Provari or Kayfun obsolete, they can continue to offer fantastic craftsmanship and great "old school" vaping experience to connoisseurs. Like Leica in photography. Expensive, niche product and yet very desirable to own.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    relevant to who? You and a hand full of people on a vaping forum?. Its a big world outside these walls. And many many people are quite satisfied with what provari and others make. Just the way it is. The fact seigali and vamo still sell well is testament to that.

In fact its opinions and people like you that have absolutely no effect on their sales or where they are headed. Every day more and more provari owners drop into the provari thread with many owning 2, 3 sometimes more.

If your paying attention rim is starting to regain traction in the business world where reliability and security and not apps matter and Microsoft owns Nokia. They are releasing a driod phone soon.

So by your analogies that's pretty much like provape being bought by joyetech or kanger. .

People been spouting the death of provari for years now. Yet they can't make them fast enough at $200+ a pop no less.

I'm sure many of DNA clone makers would love to have such problems

Oh and provari is the hummer of e cigs. Not the prettiest or feature rich, but tough as nails and dependable :D

And if ya want a bad a## box mod get a Kainos
    View attachment 420332
    View attachment 420333

That's a slick lookin "shakey weight" !
    Lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread