ProVape is coming back ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If they really have bought the name.....

I foresee whatever happens, there will be great confusion on Ebay and a fair bit of gnashing of teeth. If the owners really put the name up for sale, well in my opinion they shouldn't have, although of course a) I don't really know and b) I don't know them so I don't quite see what business I have like, judging them. Etc.

Anna

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Does the name need buying, this long after they closed? Wouldn't provape need to have maintained some thing for that to happen? If it lapsed, anyone could have at it, without buying, right?
    All domain names need to be bought, whether from a registrar, or a webhost that gives it to somebody (usually for a year, after which they start adding the renewal fee) when an account is bought. Domain names are not free. One can buy a domain name and keep renewing it until someone else wants that name. Domain name sitters/parkers can make A LOT if someone really wants a name that has become popular or something. I remember quite a while ago someone paying the domain owner several million dollars so that domain name (that only costs about 10 bucks a year) could be transferred to them.

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    All domain names need to be bought, whether from a registrar, or a webhost that gives it to somebody (usually for a year, after which they start adding the renewal fee) when an account is bought. Domain names are not free. One can buy a domain name and keep renewing it until someone else wants that name. Domain name sitters/parkers can make A LOT if someone really wants a name that has become popular or something. I remember quite a while ago someone paying the domain owner several million dollars so that domain name (that only costs about 10 bucks a year) could be transferred to them.
    I meant the business name.

But was although thinking domain would be bought off godaddy etc after it had lapsed 6 months. Not bought off provari people

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Well if someone snatched up a companies name as a domain name before someone in that company does, things could get yucky. Pretty much whoever can afford more lawyers. Think madonna DOT com. Think she paid the original owner a boatload for that domain name? Nope, she involved the courts and lawyers.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I had not read that before.
    Honestly I cannot remember where I read it so I cannot source it. If it were a crappy source I usually let those go in one eye and out the other but I remembered it so I felt the source had at least some credibility. Doesn't mean I would plunk a tidy sum on it at the gambling parlor, however.

tearose50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Tennessee :-)
    @Baditude @Bronze

I recall that most of the details came from an Interview with Zen, who was seriously working (perhaps with a couple others?) to buy the whole works, but financing fell through when the deeming came out.

None of the data came out until after ProVape announced they were closing and I think the interview was shortly after the doors closed.

Sorry, but I don't follow the "talk shows" and I don't recall who the interview was with -- though I did listen to this lengthy one.

I'm sure there is discussion in the early part of the ProVi chat thread.

SeaburyNorton

ECF Veteran
    Oct 6, 2009
    New York
    seaburynorton.com
    I've been away for quite a while. I revved up my P3 today for the first time in forever. Still works wonderfully (with an aspire nautilus at 10w). I've been curious what to do if I need to replace this thing, as the market seems overwhelming these days. If Provari came back the problem might be solved for me...

oplholik

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 22, 2011
    San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
    I have more than a few Provaris, and if I ever had to replace one, I'd go with a Ehpro Mod 101 as long as they were available. The one I have is a great tube mod and works really well, and it's very reasonably priced at less than $26.00.Just my :2c:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I think I saw a review on that one recently, and if so, it did look to be of nice quality. Fortunately, I don't NEED more tube mods (or really any more mods generally if I'm being totally honest, LOL) but if I did, I might be inclined to pick that one, it looked of nice quality and I like Ephro and there is something I just LOVE about tube mods (in part, their ability to double as weapons, I think) which is why I love the fact I have some Procyons, those have some HEFT to them. I know some folks think they're too heavy but in my personal opinion NOTHING is "too heavy" when it comes to self defense, and if it's longer, so much the better. I bet you anything that using one in such a fashion (although I remain doubtful I will ever need to, LOL) is safer and more effective than accidentally spraying yourself in the face with mace. I so never got the mace thing, but under pressure I do much better with simple things than complicated things where you have to aim and spray.

I guess excepting guns, but you should not have a gun unless you a) know how to use it and b) are prepared to use it. But, I'm also not going to obtain a concealed carry and tote on everywhere so tube mod it is. LOL

Anna

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Kind of odd, to me anyway, that the registration is through Godaddy but it's hosted someplace else.

Anyone who hosts through GoDaddy should have their credentials permanently removed. One of the worst hosting companies you could ever hope to deal with.

I've dealt with 1and1 in the past. They're decent, and have quite a few data centers in the US and Europe.

Since the domain registration info is masked, it definitely smells like a Chinese company. Regardless of who purchased the domain, masking the info is definitely at the top of my "do not buy from them, ever" list.

Oh, and let's keep it on topic please.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    I found that post for you tearose,

@Baditude @Bronze

I recall that most of the details came from an Interview with Zen, who was seriously working (perhaps with a couple others?) to buy the whole works, but financing fell through when the deeming came out.

None of the data came out until after ProVape announced they were closing and I think the interview was shortly after the doors closed.

Sorry, but I don't follow the "talk shows" and I don't recall who the interview was with -- though I did listen to this lengthy one.

I'm sure there is discussion in the early part of the ProVi chat thread.

This entire endless video summarized: It is Zen (Mike Morgan) talking about the closing of ProVape. The summary below encapsulates his rambling video talk and presents opinions and facts, which may or may not be 100% correct, but are an accurate summary of what Zen says here (over 2 hours to listen to, which I just couldn't deal with, everything below is said within the first 15 minutes):

ProVari (the company) was for sale, for over a year. They knew they were going to sell it or shut it down for quite a while.

Zen tried to arrange financing to buy it, and simply cease all sales within the US, because the worldwide market would still carry it. This did not work out.

They (David and Phil, the founders of ProVape) ultimately shut it down because... they're just sick and tired of running it and being in the vape business and the concept of dealing with the vape industry under the FDA. Also, ProVape got sued and settled. It freaked them out and made them realize they have a lot to lose. Your ability to sue a company in China = nonexistent.

The bottom line for the founders (David and Phil) amounts to: they had a good run. Both founders are under 50. Both founders are worth many millions of dollars. Both founders have retired. Pretty much, they lived out the American Dream®. Yes their costs were higher due to being in the US, yes they gave money to charities, yes they were a good company to work for, but yes, they sure had big margins and made money on their products :) And they sold 450,000+ of those products :)

If Trump gets rid of the insane FDA regs tomorrow, ProVape is still not going to be coming back. They have sold their building (which they owned), all of their equipment (which they owned), and much of their intellectual property. Staff who knew what was happening and quit to find other jobs over the past year+ were not replaced. There is basically nothing and nobody left to "rise from the ashes" and restart ProVape. It's done. ProVari is now officially a piece of Vape History/Americana.

To reiterate, this is not an official statement by the founders of ProVape, it's Zen (Mike Morgan) saying all this.

SunshinePete

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 24, 2014
    Bedfordshire, England
    I think I saw a review on that one recently, and if so, it did look to be of nice quality. Fortunately, I don't NEED more tube mods (or really any more mods generally if I'm being totally honest, LOL) but if I did, I might be inclined to pick that one, it looked of nice quality and I like Ephro and there is something I just LOVE about tube mods (in part, their ability to double as weapons, I think) which is why I love the fact I have some Procyons, those have some HEFT to them. I know some folks think they're too heavy but in my personal opinion NOTHING is "too heavy" when it comes to self defense, and if it's longer, so much the better. I bet you anything that using one in such a fashion (although I remain doubtful I will ever need to, LOL) is safer and more effective than accidentally spraying yourself in the face with mace. I so never got the mace thing, but under pressure I do much better with simple things than complicated things where you have to aim and spray.

I guess excepting guns, but you should not have a gun unless you a) know how to use it and b) are prepared to use it. But, I'm also not going to obtain a concealed carry and tote on everywhere so tube mod it is. LOL

Anna

It would be a dark and desperate day that you used a tube mod as an impromptu baton. I certainly hope it never happens.

Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    I've dealt with 1and1 in the past. They're decent
    Are they the same as 1&1 here in Germany? Didn't have internet or telephone for more than two months and it took them another two months to hand over the line to a different operator (it was entirely their fault, no "higher power" construction site or anything like that). The customer support was condescending and brazen all the way and did nothing at all except charge money for the call (which could take 20 minutes of waiting until you actually speak to a human). The German consumer protection association also seems to not be particularly fond of them.

Last edited:
    • Informative
    Reactions: DavidOck

WillyZee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 23, 2013
    Toronto
    ProVape is not coming back... someone bought the elapsed domain name.
    Last time I heard... this here was still the real ProVape :blink:
    ProVariBeach.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    ProVape will never be back. Someone can buy the tech, equipment and/or name, but ProVape will NEVER, EVER be back!
    :2c::cool:
    I agree. The previous owners are rich and retired. The factory and machinery was sold. Under the current state of FDA regulations, no company is going to be able to find financial sponsors to back a new vaping company in the USA. If Zen couldn't pull it off, no one could.

60558587-that-ship-has-sailed-english-saying-illustrated.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread