Provari 24K Gold Plating Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
IDK about in the UK, but the US has some ridiculously strict laws regulating chrome plating because of the chemicals/acids needed.

Still, it's always awesome to see HOW stuff like this is done. How do you know how long to have the metal in the gold solution?

hi mate,

ive got chrome solution too and it basically just requires nickel plating the item prior to the chrome plating.........but its definitely more tricky to achieve a decent finish with chrome compared to plating with gold!

cheers

scott

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
hi mate,

the chrome solution and chemicals required are freely sold over here and it actually all came with the kit i got from Ebay, lol

with regards to how long you need to keep the metal in the gold, according to the instructions its around 10 seconds, then turn the item 180 degrees and do another 10 seconds.......but i just do it until i can see that everything has been fully covered ;)

cheers

scott

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
How did you remove the plating from the first Provari? :?:

hi mate,

i didnt! :D

i went over the gold with a nickel plate and then followed it up with a chrome plate........it didnt come out a shiny chrome like the one in the vid, but looks pretty nice none the less.......slightly more metallic looking and shinier than the original satin finish ;)

cheers

scott

Skyway

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2009
NC - USA
www.bsvoboda.com
Hopefully I do not come off as a complete idiot here but this was done in a way I would have never thought. One thing I do not quite understand. This kind of gold plating is either not real gold or you get some amount of gold in that purple gold solution? How much was the solution? I have never bothered to research gold plating so I am lost.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
Don't quote me, but I think the way it works is that there are gold ions in the solution. Then it works like a lead-acid battery. The part you are plating acts like an electrode, and the ions collect on it and bond to it, like the lead plates in a battery.

Hopefully I do not come off as a complete idiot here but this was done in a way I would have never thought. One thing I do not quite understand. This kind of gold plating is either not real gold or you get some amount of gold in that purple gold solution? How much was the solution? I have never bothered to research gold plating so I am lost.

Last edited:

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com

hi mate,

Dalton63841 has pretty much got it spot on with his explanation

it is 100% real gold, its just that the gold particles or ions (not sure what the actual correct term is) are suspended in the fluid.........a lot of people are thinking that the process is actually making gold by simply mixing some chemicals together, but then that would be alchemy! lol

cheers

scott

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
I personally don't know anything about this process and am curious... Is it possible and/or simple to white-gold plate brass?

To my knowledge you cannot do "white gold plating". The electroplating process involves using electrolysis to bond ions to the surface of a metallic object. The problem is that there is no such thing as a white gold ion. White gold is an alloy of regular gold and either nickel, silver, or platinum. In fact, white gold is usually plated with Rhodium, so that it will maintain its look, and be more "white", as pure white gold still has a yellowish color.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread