Provari 24K Gold Plating Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
It looks great. You may find the gold layer starts to flake off after a few weeks/months of use, though. If you decide you want to do it again and make it last longer, a couple of tips:

-Deposit a few angstroms of nickel between the stainless and the gold. Nickel is a good intermediate layer for the two, and you'll get a longer lasting finish.
-Deposit a little thicker layer of gold on top of the nickel (just hold it in the solution longer).
-Use a separate tin for cleaning the ProVari. You dropped some dishwashing liquid into your gold plating solution, and that kind of contamination will lead to poor adhesion and/or pitting on the gold plate.

My company makes sensors for satellites (like the Hubble telescope) and we use a lot of gold plated hardware. We mandate a nickel layer under all gold plating, to increase the adhesion strength and make sure it doesn't flake off.

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
Use a separate tin for cleaning the ProVari. You dropped some dishwashing liquid into your gold plating solution, and that kind of contamination will lead to poor adhesion and/or pitting on the gold plate

hi mate,

i do normally use a separate container for the cleaning, but i was lazy in the vid plus i didn't have a lot of room from the camera to have much control over what i was doing, lol

cheers

scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread