Provari 3 battery life indicator inaccurate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I told you the information needed. But you're right.

I missed the wattage that is 10 watts (4V) and the resistance that is 1.7 ohms.

Now we are making progress...

How long does it continue to vape?

Battery age?

Last edited:

MrVP

Oct 17, 2014
Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul
What my authorized dealer said:

"The problem is not the p3 ... if he is saying 69 % is 69 % .... It is a calculation base ... And the P3 makes this calculation perfectly ....

Being AW Batteries or not , has a shelf life ... And sometimes even new can happen not handle the load as well ... But that does not mean they are defective ...

As I said there is a calculation that the P3 is ... Based in charge of the Battery, On the volt Wattage or you selected and Resistance q ... And you're using the P3 informs that to deliver the amount of Volts / Watts you want your battery is the equivalent of many % load ... And yes ... it goes down every puff .... If you decrease the amount of Volts / Watts using this consequently will raise the percentage load the battery .

Batteries has the ability to deliver 4.2V but controlled by the chip as the P3 , mods were able to increase this discharge , which decreased the autonomy of the battery .

If I put 8W in p3 it will remain for a long time above 90 % . but if you put up the p 15w Watts goes down in a few puffs."

Yeah, i used Google Translator.

I hope it helps.

Reactions: TFL!

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
No he really didn't... But thats fine.

If I fill my car with gas, get on the highway and drive a 100 mph and then say... Man my gas is going quickly. I think I should contact the carmaker and say... Hey your mpg ratings are wack or my car is broken.

All parameters have to be looked at.

He said this happened after one puff, so unless it was one hell of a puff, I don't think your analogy applies. That being said, I know you're just trying to help.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I dont know if this has any bearing but the original Provari would flash when the battery was low. Unscrewing the cap then reinserting the battery would get you another 10-20 minutes before going completely dead. Found this very handy on the drive home from work on a few occasions.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Do you know what your c ratings are for all three batteries. How about state of charge? SOC?
Discharge curves are dependent on the above. Contact battery manufacturer To find out.
My assumption is that Provape is using an algorhytHm to predict remaining battery life puff by puff.
Not rocket science, but a bit beyond arithmatic..

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
Seriously guys? This is an issue that all mods made of SS suffer and is nothing new. SS oxidizes and it is pretty much invisible. This oxidation isn't very good at conducting electricity. Clean your threads and apply naolox to threads and your issues will vanish. It takes 5 minutes once a month to keep it from being an issue which IMO is a small price to pay for such a durable mod.

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Do you know what your c ratings are for all three batteries. How about state of charge? SOC?
Discharge curves are dependent on the above. Contact battery manufacturer To find out.
My assumption is that Provape is using an algorhytHm to predict remaining battery life puff by puff.
Not rocket science, but a bit beyond arithmatic..
Your assumption is correct.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Seriously guys? This is an issue that all mods made of SS suffer and is nothing new. SS oxidizes and it is pretty much invisible. This oxidation isn't very good at conducting electricity. Clean your threads and apply naolox to threads and your issues will vanish. It takes 5 minutes once a month to keep it from being an issue which IMO is a small price to pay for such a durable mod.

These are brand new, I don't think there's going to be enough oxidation to account for a fresh battery reading 75% after one puff.

bimmer88

Oct 9, 2013
Sacramento
Still having same issues... sometimes, I'll put a freshly charged VTC5 in, vape about a quarter tank from my Aerotank, then it would show battery empty. Popped it back on the charger and the charger is reading 4.0v... I bought 2 Efest purple 18500 batteries and it does the same thing... I find myself constantly have to unscrew the bottom cap and rescrew it to get it to work. Getting really frustrated... paid about $250 for this unit because i read so many glowing reviews about it... Thought it would be the only mod i would need but it's proving to be a very frustrating mod to use. My cousin bought some kind of ZNA clone for $60 and it works perfect. Not very happy with my purchase so far....:(

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Still having same issues... sometimes, I'll put a freshly charged VTC5 in, vape about a quarter tank from my Aerotank, then it would show battery empty. Popped it back on the charger and the charger is reading 4.0v... I bought 2 Efest purple 18500 batteries and it does the same thing... I find myself constantly have to unscrew the bottom cap and rescrew it to get it to work. Getting really frustrated... paid about $250 for this unit because i read so many glowing reviews about it... Thought it would be the only mod i would need but it's proving to be a very frustrating mod to use. My cousin bought some kind of ZNA clone for $60 and it works perfect. Not very happy with my purchase so far....:(

Perhaps you could trade your cousin...

Or you could contact your mod manufacturer and see if they can help.

Or I could trade you a lightly used VTR.

Hum?!? Choices.

Keep us posted, Jim

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
The accuracy of the battery meter on the ProVari 3 depends upon the quality of the battery and connections. Select either A up or A down from the menu and watch the results. The last one will be input quality (IQ), and with new high-quality batteries, it should be reading in the nineties. ProVape ships the P3 with No-Ox A Special on the threads, which they sell, and they recommend it over No-Alox now.

To improve connectivity and IQ, unscrew the extension tubes and reinstall them one at a time. As you screw each tight, pull it back away from the mod, and finish the tightening with a "snap"of the wrist to seat it firmly. Install the end cap the same way, pulling it back from the mod as you do the finally screwing with a snap..

Before you do the end cap, check how the spring is sitting in it. Mine wasn't all the way in and was cockeyed. I "screwed" the spring into the cap clockwise and it worked its way down.

More info on IQ quoted from the owners manual:
Straight from the manual... It tells us when to worry about it.

My advice, keep an eye, but don't sweat it.

Jim

The IQTM (Input Quality) monitor provides feedback on the condition of your battery and connections. IQ monitors the battery installed in the device and alerts the user if there is a problem with the battery or the connections along the way. If you have a bad spring, this will cause the IQ value to drop. If you use a poor quality battery, your input quality value will drop. A safe range is anything above 61. If you find your battery is not showing higher than 61, replace the battery with a new high drain battery. These are available on the ProVape website if you do not have a local source for them. The IQ value will vary a little but generally if it’s 61 or above you are ok to use that battery. In addition to a value, the P3 will also tell you if the battery is great, good, ok, poor or bad. These readings are often caused by a weak connection, oxidation build-up where the spring is or a dirty contact pin. If you get a bad reading, try turning the spring a few times. This will remove oxidation build-up and you should get a better reading. This is a very sensitive and accurate reading so little changes can affect the value. Getting a low reading with a new battery does not mean you have a bad device. It just means you might have some adjustments to make on the spring or cleaning your contact pin. This numeric number is from 100 (best) to 0 (worst). If you get a IQ warning the best fix is to remove the bottom cap, wiggle the spring a little, and try reinstalling the bottom cap to see if that improves the IQ value. It's very normal for the IQ to bounce around. This is due to the IQ reading being a real-time monitor of the internal resistance. The IQ value mainly comes into play when you are vaping at above 15 watts. This is when we are most concerned about the quality of the connections to ensure the device is safe to use at the higher power levels.
1) Great (81 to 100 inclusive)
2) Good (72 to 80 inclusive)
3) OK (61 to 71 inclusive)
4) Poor (36 to 60 inclusive) - Power limited to 15 watts when your input quality is poor or bad
5) Bad (0 to 35 inclusive) - Power limited to 15 watts when your input quality is poor or bad

Last edited:

Tangaroav

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
QC & FL
Thanks to the op for this thread.

I am debating, ( with my wallet), about spending a lot of money to buy a regulated, trouble free, top of the line vaporizer . The provari is a candidate for my 300$. This thread has added a check mark on the 'Against' column of my Pro-Against listing.

Reliable battery life indication is an important aspect of my list as is customer service. Both are being questionned here by Provari owners. (I must point out that the 'Pro' column is still quite interesting).

Maybe this is just one of those things that you only buy once the initial problems of a new model are resolved. ???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread