Provari - A review for noobs by a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanthemachine

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
OKC, OK
Sorry if this doesn't go here, I am a noob and I wanted other noobs to see this.

Just got my Provari this week and wanted to give a review from a noob perspective. I started true mod vaping last Labor day weekend by buying a MVP 1.0. Fell in love and haven’t looked back. Got a VAMO V3 2 weeks later and again fell in love. Bit the bullet and got a Provari. Luckily I have an awesome wife and can justify by saving almost 200 bucks a month.

Here are my thoughts:

Quality of Workmanship/Appearance
Everything already said is absolutely true. This thing is amazingly built. It’s the Mac of E-cigs. Threads are smooth and amazing, feel incredible in my hand. It is incredibly rugged, but not as heavy as I feared after reading and watching reviews. The etching on it is top notch, but also functional as it provides a great grip. Lots of care and work went into designing this thing. Protank looks pretty BA on it.

Vape Experience
I now know what people mean when they say it’s a smooth, consistent vape. As Phil Busardo of youtube says 'Now I get it'. I really did try to be unbiased and the first night I unboxed it I wasn’t quite sure if it was all that better. After vaping all day today I can agree with everything said. It just really is awesome.

Button
This is where I disagree with Phil Busardo. While he admits he is nitpicking, he claims the button does not give him enough feedback that it is pressed, but I totally disagree and hope they do not change it. Yes it’s tighter and not as wobbly and doesn’t make a loud click when depressed like the VAMO, but It is a smooth, easy comfortable press, and it is quite obvious that the button is pressed. It fires every time, unlike my MVP which occasionally did not fire when pressed. The placement is perfect for how I naturally hold it while vaping. The VAMO button is too low for the way I hold it so I find my hand all the way down at the base when using it.

LED
This is probably my biggest issue with the Provari. I do not like that the LED is on the opposite side of the button as it is a little awkward for the way I hold it. I like using my thumb to press the button so the LED is facing the back palm of my hand. When I want to see it or make an adjustment I have to rotate it and click it with my index finger. However if I adjust my vape style and use my index finger to press the button then the LED is in a perfect place for easy access. This is obviously how they designed it and it is likely a personal preference that I might be in the minority on.

Menu System
Not as bad as I thought it would be after watching Grimm Green fumble around with it. Is a bit of a curve, but after a few times I got it and it’s not bad. Do I like it more than the 3 button VAMO? No, but it’s not as bad as I thought it might be.

[EDIT]Another thing that is kind of annoying to me is between each menu selection is essentially a non selection, a "- -" on the display. Not sure what this does other than make twice as many clicks. Still not a deal breaker because excessive clicking is good for my OCD ;) [/EDIT]

Misc
If you are device lover and love good packaging like Steve Jobs, you might be a bit disappointed here. It comes in a USPS box wrapped in bubble wrap. Incredibly fast shipping and handling. Said 3 to 5 days processing, but I ordered Sunday and got it Wednesday. Free 2 day shipping.

Conclusion
Nothing I am saying hasn’t been said before (except maybe the packaging), but I do recommend this even to beginners, and I am not sure why people don’t recommend these as a first or for beginners. Maybe its because beginners might not appreciate what they have here? Sure get a cheap disposable ecig or take some tokes off a friend’s mod to see if you will like vaping, but once you know you like it, this should be your first mod imo. Spend 30 minutes to an hour on youtube looking at variable voltage, resistance and the provari and you will learn quick and save some bucks buying starter mods. If money is your issue get an EGO and put the money you are saving not buying smokes in a jar and it a month or two you will have one. I love my VAMO and MVP and I am glad I have them and will still use them, but everyone should own one of these. Hope this helps someone like this site has helped me.

Last edited:

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Nice review. I bought one right after I tried an eGo twist as I knew I was going to be vaping for the long haul. I think one of the reasons it's not suggested to a noob is some haven't made the commitment yet and want to try vaping. It's way too expensive to "just" try it. I also think that lots of noob's buy one quite early in their vaping. They aren't complicated devices and just as easy to use as an eGo.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Great notes thanks! I keep looking, and will buy one any day now, LOL.
I fire with my thumb too, but I don't think that'll be a problem - the display's "far side" on my SVD, too.

I don't think anyone hesitates to recommend a ProVari to a noob, IF IT MEETS THEIR CRITERIA.
A lot of new vapers ask for "a kit under $50," or specify they want something that's cig-shaped (even then, people tend to push them towards an EGO - for their own good). If a new vaper says they want a really high quality mod, or has a budget ANYWHERE NEAR the cost of a ProVari - they invariably DO get advised to buy one!!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
but I do recommend this even to beginners, and I am not sure why people don’t recommend these as a first or for beginners

Because when we do we get hammered relentlessly for being fan boys or we must be biased against the cheap junk and that we have obviously been drinking the coolade because it's just a battery holder and cannot in no way actually be better then a vamo.

then everyone tells us how dare we recommend something so expensive to a person starting out when there are so many choices that are just as good if not better for less money, so after continuous insults and hater posts we (most provari owners) have given up. lol

sad but true.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Nice review. Agree with your assessment 100%. I honestly didn't buy my Provari(s) for a while, because the "Pros" all recommended it. And, when the Provarinati would come out in force, I really didn't like it. Still don't. However, after the first dozen APV's or so, there was no where left to go, so I bought a Provari, then a Mini later. They are my ADV's and my out and about vapes as well. I had to lose a couple of cheap China Mods to appreciate that durability was important to me, along with build quality, and surprisingly, a better vape. I have an APV that I think is better than the Provari, but that can be discussed in a different thread. I love the Provari, and would recommend them in a second to anyone. That being said, there's a lot of vapers trying to decide whether variable voltage egos are worth it or not, so a Provari recommendation would seem out of the question in that discussion. Also, everyone's VapeQuest is unique to them. It takes what it takes to grow and evolve in vaping, there's a learning curve and tons of choices today. When I started vaping in 2009, that was not the case. I think you're a quick study and just got there, the inevitable conclusion, much faster than most. Different strokes. The most important thing is that new vapers have quit smoking, saving not only some cigarette money, but possibly their lives as well. :toast:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Nice review man. I have been vaping for a while, and honestly never owned a high dollar device. Everyone swoons over the Provari, and I've always wondered why? What does it do that a mid priced mod doesn't? Built in USA (good but really $200?). I still push a button and inhale vapor the same way right?

Now you've got me curious. I also own an MVP, so reading a review from someone that has the same device I use exclusively now makes me think this is something I should look into. Honestly, I have always thought people praise the Provari the way they do because 'well I payed $200 for this device so it must be superior to everything else.'

If this site has taught me anything though, it's that I often have preconceptions that are totally wrong, and if the Provari blows what I'm using out of the water, I'd be crazy not to get one. I honestly have no complaints about the MVP, so I have to ask what I'm missing.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If this site has taught me anything though, it's that I often have preconceptions that are totally wrong, and if the Provari blows what I'm using out of the water, I'd be crazy not to get one. I honestly have no complaints about the MVP, so I have to ask what I'm missing.
I own two Provari's (standard & mini) and a MVP1. All three are great devices. I recommend the MVP to novices more than the Provari simply because of the price point. If they ask which between the two I prefer, I'll say the Provari because a Provari will last years with Provape's lifetime support. Once the warranty for the MVP runs out or that big battery dies, its a throwaway.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I have always thought people praise the Provari the way they do because 'well I payed $200 for this device so it must be superior to everything else.

and this is exactly what im referring too. no we arent drinking the coolade, it really is better made. comes with a 1 year warranty 2 if you want to extend it. they will always fix it for a fee if the warranty runs out, customer service is always willing to help and actually tries to answer the email.

a quick look through the sub forums for the different devices show there is a real difference, you dont see posts in the provari forum asking for help fixing something like the other forums. we talk about music, tanks, wraps, anything but problems with the provari. it is expensive but the fact you never think about it again or never worry about it stripping, button failing, pin shorting, ohms errors etc pays for itself fast. some people are going on well over 2 years now with no problems other then scratches. mine has broken 2 tiles at work now.

(and I know what bills talking about tee hee and its pretty awesome too)

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
e7n.gif

Although we are amused by yet another novitiate who failed to read the Ritual of Arrival.

Chapter One, Verse Two

Be aware:

The Holiest of Holies does not come in a fancy box, it is simply swaddled in bubble wrap. It is the way of the ProVarinati to be reminded of our humble beginnings and not to take for granted the amazing gift that is bestowed upon the worthy. You will also find our Blessed One to be smaller than you imagined and be filled with awe that such power could be contained in a bijou receptacle.

Last edited:

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
There is nothing wrong with using and having mid-priced devices. They do essentially the same thing, deliver a decent vape. But as Bad said, you have a piece of junk if it ever breaks which is more likely to happen than with a ProVari. You have to see one in person to see the differences. Once you hold one, you will know if it's worth it or not.

Nice review man. I have been vaping for a while, and honestly never owned a high dollar device. Everyone swoons over the Provari, and I've always wondered why? What does it do that a mid priced mod doesn't? Built in USA (good but really $200?). I still push a button and inhale vapor the same way right?

Now you've got me curious. I also own an MVP, so reading a review from someone that has the same device I use exclusively now makes me think this is something I should look into. Honestly, I have always thought people praise the Provari the way they do because 'well I payed $200 for this device so it must be superior to everything else.'

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
and this is exactly what im referring too. no we arent drinking the coolade, it really is better made. comes with a 1 year warranty 2 if you want to extend it. they will always fix it for a fee if the warranty runs out, customer service is always willing to help and actually tries to answer the email.

a quick look through the sub forums for the different devices show there is a real difference, you dont see posts in the provari forum asking for help fixing something like the other forums. we talk about music, tanks, wraps, anything but problems with the provari. it is expensive but the fact you never think about it again or never worry about it stripping, button failing, pin shorting, ohms errors etc pays for itself fast. some people are going on well over 2 years now with no problems other then scratches. mine has broken 2 tiles at work now.

Wasn't trying start anything, or jack a decent review thread. I was just trying to get some input from someone that has not only used the same device that I have, but now has one that I have been looking at. Never cared for the looks of a Provari until someone (can't remember who) posted pics of some solid black version. It looked awesome! Then I started wondering if I would gain any benefit from getting one, other than it looking so freaking cool.

I guess I could have just PM'd, but I'm sure a few other people may want to know as well.

Oh yeah, thanks for the info Bad.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Great review! I'm glad you like it. I too, went through a mod or two...or four before I pulled the trigger. My reasons were pretty simple and my expectations low. I was simply ruining $50 mods pretty fast...whether it be threads wearing out or all out failures. I didn't really think the performance would be any different but I knew the quality would. I figured I'd spend "$200"....(actually closer to $150) on cheap mods inside of 3 months. So I bought something I felt would last. Well I got that, as expected...what I didn't expect was the superior performance. Yes, I exhale vapor just like with any device...I guess I could use a match and a funnel to heat e-liquid up too. The draw is far smoother, no rattlesnakes in my face and I have the confidence in it to scale down what I take with me for the day. An extra battery, an extra carto/tank and thats about it for a regular day. It looks and performs as it did the day I got it. I hated hearing "ÿou won't know until you have one." But to the skeptics...you won't know until you have one!

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

"mine has already broken 2 tiles"....hahahahaaa
You're right. I'm not worried about the ProVari, I'm worried I might drop it on something expensive.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So, you don't mind what seems like a whole lot of clicking to navigate the menu? Haven't had one in hand to experience it yet.
Once you get it in your hand and begin to play with the menu system, you'll realize its not difficult at all. I learned it within 10 minutes.

Five quick clicks gets you into the menu system. First up will be Pu to increase voltage. If that's not what you want, two more quick clicks gets you to Pd to decrease voltage. Those are the two modes that you will use most, if at all.

Voltage and ohm meter are farther down the menu. I check ohm's once a week at most. I don't really need to check battery voltage because the fire button begins blinking to tell me of a low battery, and I know at that point I still have about 1/2 an hour to 1 hour more vape time before the battery dies.

deanthemachine

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
OKC, OK
pretty dang good review for a newb. i agree 100% about recomending these and other vv mods to newbies there the best and there going to get them eventually if they dont quit first because of batt troubles and poor tanks.

Thanks I guess I am a noob in practice but a novice in theory as I have learned a lot reading this site and watching youtube. I definitely recommend people make sure they like vaping before dropping this kind of money. Thanks everyone for the kind words. I edited to include my ignorance to the spacers between menu items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread