Provari or vmax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adarsh

Jul 13, 2012
Pune(India)
Hi all..I am using ego-c for some time now..it's good but I want to take my vaping experience higher..Have read about provari and smoktech vmax devices..I am confused as to which one to buy..both seem similar but provari is way expensive at around 225$ and vmax retails for around 100$..has anyone tried both and tell me which device is better and why?also,take into consideration the price factor..thanks

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
I actually just weighed those two this last week and went with the provari. My decision was almost solely based on the provari and provapes reputation. Its rare to see anything bad about the provari. Eh some ppl will complain about its menu system but I can get used to that like anything else. Either device is good in its own right though.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I would say the ProVari is hands down better build quality, and you have the customer service after the purchase there as well. With the VMAX, just the initial warranty if any, then trash can if it goes south and you can not fix it yourself.

However, if you get the VMAX for the lower price, you can see them dropping at some places, and can get a VMAX for under $70, I'd say its a good deal to try at least.

meros

Sep 20, 2011
Gloucester, NJ
I've used both at this point, and to be honest, I'm a fan of both. I personally prefer the Provari because I have an irrational fear of stacking batteries but, wow, the stacking and therefore the stepdown (as opposed to step up) make it hit like a truck.

If you want a strong, hot vape, even at lower voltages, I'd say go for the VMAX. (I know its on the short list for my next PV purchase)
If you want something rock solid dependable that will behave the way you expect at a given voltage, go with the Provari.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I had a friend in the same boat and decided on a Vmax. They had some issues with it and decided to send it back. They then got a Provari and have been Very Happy with it.

The thing I like about the Provari is it has a Rock Solid Feel.

Mine is a Satin Finish and is about 18 months old and it doesn't look much Different then the Day it arrived. And it has been dropped Many times.

Adarsh

Jul 13, 2012
Pune(India)
I've used both at this point, and to be honest, I'm a fan of both. I personally prefer the Provari because I have an irrational fear of stacking batteries but, wow, the stacking and therefore the stepdown (as opposed to step up) make it hit like a truck.

If you want a strong, hot vape, even at lower voltages, I'd say go for the VMAX. (I know its on the short list for my next PV purchase)
If you want something rock solid dependable that will behave the way you expect at a given voltage, go with the Provari.

I know that,provari is surely a better device build-wise and much more reliable,but which one is better performance wise?also,which is an overall better package,provari or vmax?and what about the amperage limiting difference and what does it mean?I mean provari has a 2.5 Or 3.5 amps limiting and vmax has 5 amps limit;can anyone tell me what does it imply in terms of performance?sorry,too many questions,aye?

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I may be biased as I own several but you just can't go wrong with a ProVari. It delivers the voltage it says it's going to deliver spot on, it doesn't use pulse modulation(not sure if the current version of the vmax does), and it's built to last forever.

I read these boards a lot during downtime and it's very hard to find a thread with people having ProVari problems. Especially ones that are not user error. The Vmax is a different story. Sure they CAN work flawlessly for years. Then again they may not. Seems like it's a bit iffy on the quality front. Again, with the newest revision some of it may have been addressed.

I'm also personally not a fan of stacking batteries. I won't tell others not to do it and I won't even say it's risky because statistically it's not. However, if things ever go bad it's in a stacked battery mod. I'm all about risk mitigation especially with an item I put close to my face a couple hundred times a day.

The Pbusardo reviews will give you a good idea of the general differences between the two devices even though some issues in the Vmax have apparently been addressed. There is also a huge post on this forum about general battery safety that talks about the incidents that have happend and been documented. They have all been on stacked battery mods. It wouldn't a bad idea to educate yourself on it and then make a rational decision based on what you are personally comfortable with.

Mikey-Mike

Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
australia
I too am on the same boat. I own a VMAX and on some of my LR gear, it just burns the hell out of it, even at 3.0V. on my STD gear at 4V it kicks so hard i feel like i went forward in time hahahahahaha. But not all LR stuff measures out to be 2.0 ohm. If my gear measures at 2.0-2.2 ohm i can use it on the VMAX at around 3.2-3.4 depending on flavour. Any higher and it will burn. Anything that is 1.9 or below, just burns regardless.

This is a good reason to get a provari i would suspect, since it has its 'accuset' technology, but can it handle the LR stuff due to amp limiting etc etc? im still pretty new to VV as all my prior devices have been mechanical mods (mainly GG).

anymore input to help us who are unsure decide would be awesome!

Cheers

MMM

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
If you r going to cape. Spend the money and buy something that will last. At least if you buy the provari then you bought made in the USA.

I'm not so sure about that one. When I started the Provari V1 was what there was. Then the DC cartos came out and they had to come out with the V2 and offer low cost upgrades for the V1. Many of the newer VVs like the Vmax and the not quite available VV Gripper have more amp capacity than the Provari. Something's liable to come out that takes advantage of that.

The point is, in this rapidly changing environment, I'm not so sure paying more for something that lasts forever is a good move.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
This is a good reason to get a provari i would suspect, since it has its 'accuset' technology, but can it handle the LR stuff due to amp limiting etc etc? im still pretty new to VV as all my prior devices have been mechanical mods (mainly GG).

anymore input to help us who are unsure decide would be awesome!

Cheers

MMM

Some versions of the Vmax are extremely inaccurate as demonstrated in the Pbusardo reviews with a voltmeter. The ProVari is extremely accurate and will provide the same current at a steady flow regardless of your battery life. It really is spot on consistent. It doesn't use pulse modulation and doesn't use any tricks. What you set is what you get.

I have used LR stuff on my ProVari's but there really isn't any point. You have variable voltage so use it. You can get the same vape on a 3ohm device as on a 2ohm device by cranking the voltage up a bit.

Something to consider about low voltage stuff. A 2ohm carto run at 3.9 volts is the same vape(wattage) as a 3ohm carto run at 4.8 volts. That being said your battery will last a lot longer on the 3ohm setup because there is less amp draw on the battery. The vape is basically the same because both devices in that example are running with 8 watts put through them.

I like my ProVari's a lot because as a lot of people know .1 of a volt can make the difference between a great vape and a burned juice. I really like having the accuracy that delivers all day long without fiddling. I set it at 4.8volts and that's it...it will vape the same all day.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I own both and have tried many other VV devices. Others have pointed out the distinctions between the two pretty well. The simple answer from me is that I have the VMAX with me while the Provari is at home on my desk, and that's pretty much the way it is every day. I just like the feel of the VMAX better and it hits harder and lasts longer. The Provari feels more substantial, but so far I have no quality issues with either device.

My only complaint on the VMAX is that its high amperage output and inexact voltage reading make it very easy to burn or completely destroy a cartomizer if you're not careful. The Provari doesn't produce enough amperage for me sometimes, but the flip side is that it'll give an error before frying a carto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread