Not open for further replies.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
It depends on the length... the extension is for the IMR AW 18650... some protected Li-ion 18650's will fit, but I would look for shorter; not sure of length spec; check out the length of the IMR and compare.
Of course you may have to leave some threads showing on the ext. cap.
Provape is coming out with a new Provari Power Li-ion 18650 that is being beta tested... they include a teflon sleeve to make up for extended length... it's a 2500 mah.
and lasts maybe 1/2 again (150%) of the batt use time of the IMR.
Read the thread on the new batt for some info; i.e. not all 18650 Li-ions are optimal.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
The Trustfire 18650s will fit with the extended cap, but there's about a 1/3mm gap at the seam where you can't tighten it down any further. Hardly worth worrying about, but if you're going to use the Trustfires, get yourself some Noalox (a good idea anyway) with your order or at your local hardware store to protect the threads from dust and crap getting in there and grinding the threads down.

Personally I'd just get a set of AW IMR 18650s. They're lower capacity, but made for high drain applications, and the power curve is much better even than the flamejacket Trustfires. Or wait for Provape to release their new branded 18650s which are supposed to be better still and have the same capacity as the Trustfires.

I have a pair of TFs at home, but use them mainly as backup.

bladebarrier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
CT
You don't really need the IMR 18650, because a regular 18650 has plenty of output capability (current wise). IMR's are rated for extreme current outputs (I believe the 18650 IMR is rated for 20+ amps), but have less overall longevity.

That said, I use the IMR's that are recommended, in mine, because quite frankly I don't usually need any longer lasting battery, the IMR's are cheap, and they fit perfectly.

I can't imagine a situation where a provari would try to draw more power than a regular li-on 18650 would be able to output, because it has a built in cut-off preventing you from going to an extreme.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
if you are having trouble getting them where you are (batts), i can understand, but one thing it's not wise to skimp on is batteries ... good batts are safe batts too.

i've heard the there are some fake batts with labels going around... make sure it's a reputable brand and dealer.
Thanks guys. the reason that I asked is because i found a supplier up here in Vancouver that is selling them cheap.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
if you are having trouble getting them where you are (batts), i can understand, but one thing it's not wise to skimp on is batteries ... good batts are safe batts too.

i've heard the there are some fake batts with labels going around... make sure it's a reputable brand and dealer.

Yeah, Cozzicon did a little YouTube expose' recently on fake batts. It's a good watch to give you some idea what to look for to make sure your batts are the real deal.

DJAndrada

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes. It's just a standard LiIon, it just has lower internal resistance.

thank you mindfield. i saved some money on the charger... that money will now go to the shipping cost....

will be ordering it when i wake up.... 2 mods down, 2 to go...

looking forward to finding a vv bottom feeder next

Last edited:

MiXoLoGiSt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
SoCal
thank you mindfield. i saved some money on the charger... that money will now go to the shipping cost....

will be ordering it when i wake up.... 2 mods down, 2 to go...

looking forward to finding a vv bottom feeder next

No shipping cost with a ProVari so you dont got to worry there. Personally i would stick with the batteries they recommend because the way i see it is they recommend them for a reason. The only other ones other than the AW IMR 18650s i will run in the ProVari are the newer 2600mah 18650 batteries that ProVape just came out with. I ordered my ProVari with 2 AW IMR 18650s though because i know for sure they perform well and I can trust those batteries. ProVapes new 2600mah 18650s haven't been out long enough for me to order those with my kit instead of the AWs. I will just order the 2600mah separately later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread