FDA Public Health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepjazz

Mar 22, 2016
You might want to take a look at this.
The Great Nicotine Myth

Here is just one of the points from that link.

"Nicotine, by itself, has no observed potential for dependence. That is to say, pure nicotine administered to never-smokers or never-users of tobacco in clinical trials is not demonstrated to create dependence. Just to make this clear:
a) Not a single one of the many clinical trials of pure nicotine administered to never-smokers, for investigation of its potential benefits in multiple clinical areas, report that any subject ever exhibited any sign of reinforcement, dependence, withdrawal syndrome or continued use - despite subjects being given high doses for months.
b) Nicotine cannot be shown to create dependence; in every clinical trial published, no reinforcement or dependence was demonstrated.
c) Dependence on nicotine has never been demonstrated in those not exposed to tobacco use in some form.
d) There are no published clinical trials that report dependence is observed when nicotine is administered to never-smokers. All such trials for investigation of nicotine's nutritional and medical value report no observed measure of dependence, withdrawal symptoms, or continuation of use - no matter how much is administered or for how long."

nicotine is nicotine.. doesnt matter what source it comes from.. it's addictive.

what this test performed on vapers?.. they vaped nicotine eliquid for few months and didnt get addictive?

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
nicotine is nicotine.. doesnt matter what source it comes from.. it's addictive.

what this test performed on vapers?.. they vaped nicotine eliquid for few months and didnt get addictive?

More and more research is showing that nicotine is NOT the addictive monster that many are making it out to be.

Your facts (if they truly are facts) are woefully outdated.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014

Have you personally transitioned from smoking to vaping and found you had to quit an addiction in order to use only pure nicotine? Or then slashed your nicotine usage because frankly, compared to smoking whole tobacco, it's pretty much crap? True story.

Reactions: Endor

Semiretired

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    More and more research is showing that nicotine is NOT the addictive monster that many are making it out to be.

Your facts (if they truly are facts) are woefully outdated.

My daughter has had a few friends try vaping for maybe a few months - they were not smokers - they dropped it as easy as they picked it up...

Us with the years of smoking will find it harder to give up vaping - maybe not because of the nicotine, but because of the habit that was formed for years with smoking...

I know that I can leave my mod on the coffee table and go work in the yard, drive up to the store, take a walk around the block, etc. and not miss it - not possible when I smoked...

swampergene

ECF Veteran
    Mar 9, 2014
    Slatington, PA, USA
    Back to the OP...the reason "why"...

taxes.

Now technically "regulatory fees" aren't supposed to be revenue makers, but they DO create government jobs.

So there's a lot of it right there, good old MONEY.

But there are hidden things that look little or even nonexistent to many but are a huge deal to the Feds - of course money is at the core. I think that the truth is that they don't want a whole slew of us suddenly living longer. For starters, once you get a million or two of us living a little longer than expectations, it is going to start adding a significant burden to he SS system. Going further, the "living longer" dynamic has the potential to screw up a lot of things the government depends on with smokers dying earlier than normal. And while currently there are studies that can show that non smokers are more of a financial burden on the health system, that may change as ex smokers - still carrying higher risks of lingering smoking-related illnesses - start to live longer and longer. As smokers, we are a sort of commodity in the "government market" and they depend on the trends that THEY control. By vaping we take it back, and they can't deal with that.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    I would hope that our government does not track stats like that...

Are you aware of the NSA's slogan "Collect it All"? I recommend a Google search of "NSA collect it all", lemme know after a bit of reading if you think they aren't tracking such stats. This is a well documented axiom they operate on, evidenced by NSA internal documents.

Back to the OP...the reason "why"...

taxes.

Maybe, but the taxes are generally collected at the local/state level, so the FDA doesn't gain there. What they do gain on, is protecting their partners in BT....and let's face it, BT is a partner, just like BP. I also think it is an element of protecting their turf. The perception has been among some that the vaping industry is "getting away" with something.

Of course, unless a whistleblower with the FDA comes forward, we can only speculate as to the why. It is an interesting speculative question.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Maybe, but the taxes are generally collected at the local/state level, so the FDA doesn't gain there. What they do gain on, is protecting their partners in BT....and let's face it, BT is a partner, just like BP. I also think it is an element of protecting their turf. The perception has been among some that the vaping industry is "getting away" with something.
    Good to see YOU again.
    I see you've been back for a short time but mainly in the "stocking up" thread.

I don't go there, so I missed your return.
    But it's good to have you back.
    :toast:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    Good to see YOU again.
    I see you've been back for a short time but mainly in the "stocking up" thread.

I don't go there, so I missed your return.
    But it's good to have you back.
    :toast:
    The exquisite Ms Robin reeled me into that thread.

She probably knew I'd be looking around while I was in the neighborhood...but perhaps not.

Not surprisingly, I gravitated to these areas where this sort of thing is being discussed. I've already managed to break some rule by posting pictures. No surprise there, I suppose, but it wasn't scantily clad females as you might guess...it was motorcycle pics.

I blame zoiD.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    Of course, many of said critics also seem to believe the end of smoking is near, which is a fantasy.

Well, the panic in the governments all over the world give me the feeling they see this to. If not stopped and regulated, it could be the end of smoking!

I remember my cigarettes, especially the first of the day ones. A cup of coffee and a roll my own sigarette. And the first drag it gave me a rush over my body, as if I became inflated. A light spin in my head. I never had that with vaping.
    I vape almost 3 years now and after a year I was so low on nicotine that i tried to stop nicotine all tohgether. So I vaped about 3 months without nicotiine without any problems. Well just one, the throath hit, thats why i am back at 3mg. In my opinion, vaping is way less addictive as real cigarettes.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 14, 2016
    North Carolina
    My perspective: It's all about MONEY & POWER. The "public's health" is so far down the list, on page 2 actually & left in the copier... I don't think the FDA/Government wants to kill/ban vaping, I think they want to hand it over to their pals at BT & BP and in order to make that happen, most everyone else has to go away... BT & BP are more than happy to pay to play. All the big players get what they want. FDA = Control just as it is now with basically 2 entities & plenty of cash to line their pockets. Government: Fed/State = Tax revenue. BT/BP = An entire industry laid at their feet to manipulate as they see fit. God only knows what additives will eventually make up their juice... :eek:

Reactions: Darksand

ad356

ECF Veteran
    Jul 25, 2010
    north java, ny
    how about this.... this would fix everything. traditional cigarettes, reduce the nicotine content to ZERO. allow vaping to retain the nicotine delivery ability. leave vaping the way it is with adults having full access to vaping products. problem solved, cigarettes completely disappear big tobacco goes out of business.

if you remove the nicotine from cigarettes, a "kid" that picks up a cigarette for the first time wont get addicted. the adult that has been smoking for the last 20 some years suddenly isnt satisfied by cigarettes anymore and moves on to 95% safer vaping products...... hardly anyone smoking after a few years.

vapor products should be a tool to eliminate toxic cigarettes from our society.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    if you remove the nicotine from cigarettes, a "kid" that picks up a cigarette for the first time wont get addicted

What about the umpteen other chems in cigs beside nicotine - I think our cravings came as much from them as from nicotine...

ad356

ECF Veteran
    Jul 25, 2010
    north java, ny
    remove those chemicals..... regulate the stupid things. go to rj rynolds and tell them, they are no longer permitted to add ammonia or chocolate to their cigarettes. make them undesirable leaving the nasty taste but removing the things that make you want to smoke them. the problem is the government would never do this as they are really, really desperately addicted to tobacco money. money from the whole system. cigarette taxes, illness, ect ect

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
    Europe
    My perspective: It's all about MONEY & POWER. The "public's health" is so far down the list, on page 2 actually & left in the copier... I don't think the FDA/Government wants to kill/ban vaping, I think they want to hand it over to their pals at BT & BP and in order to make that happen, most everyone else has to go away... BT & BP are more than happy to pay to play. All the big players get what they want. FDA = Control just as it is now with basically 2 entities & plenty of cash to line their pockets. Government: Fed/State = Tax revenue. BT/BP = An entire industry laid at their feet to manipulate as they see fit. God only knows what additives will eventually make up their juice... :eek:

Absolutely, couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: dobroeutro

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
    Admin
    Verified Member
    how about this.... this would fix everything. traditional cigarettes, reduce the nicotine content to ZERO. allow vaping to retain the nicotine delivery ability. leave vaping the way it is with adults having full access to vaping products. problem solved, cigarettes completely disappear big tobacco goes out of business.

if you remove the nicotine from cigarettes, a "kid" that picks up a cigarette for the first time wont get addicted. the adult that has been smoking for the last 20 some years suddenly isnt satisfied by cigarettes anymore and moves on to 95% safer vaping products...... hardly anyone smoking after a few years.

vapor products should be a tool to eliminate toxic cigarettes from our society.

This is indeed in the works. Take a look at this company: 22nd Century Group, Inc. | Reducing the Harm Caused by Smoking

Many people in tobacco control pushing for this, but the science is not yet in. The FSPTCA allows FDA to reduce but not eliminate nicotine from cigarettes, and it's not clear what this effect will be at population level.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 14, 2016
    North Carolina
    This is indeed in the works. Take a look at this company: 22nd Century Group, Inc. | Reducing the Harm Caused by Smoking

Many people in tobacco control pushing for this, but the science is not yet in. The FSPTCA allows FDA to reduce but not eliminate nicotine from cigarettes, and it's not clear what this effect will be at population level.

Very interesting... My personal opinion is there are a lot of components more dangerous and contributory to addiction in tobacco cigarettes than nicotine... :cool:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread