Public Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just ordered my first vaporizer, recently took up smoking again after a year and a half without. After a few weeks I decided that it was absolutely stupid to start killing myself all over again and decided I'd make the smart choice and go for the healthy alternative. I'm assuming that most people on here are ex-smokers and thus know what its like smoking in public these days, all the dirty looks and whatnot, not to mention the constant shaming by friends and family about how unhealthy/disgusting it is. I'm curious as to what, if any difference, people have found about being seen vaping. So share away! Also, first post! :D

Broncbox

Verified Member
Feb 3, 2013
Tx
The responses I have gotten have been mixed but most people are curious yet after I get done explaining vaping the consensus is basically "good for you getting off cigarettes ... now when are you going to quit that thing" I really wish the term e-cig had never been coined because vaping is not smoking but by many that I have spoken too vaping is almost at bad as smoking.

KerryK

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2012
Madtown, WI
I flipped 2 smokers at work, and working on 2 more right now trying it.

I truly believe in this approach, I vape sticks with smokers, I talk to them and I give them the business cards from the vendors I use. My enthusiasm motivates them to look further, and it's working.

I see your point about the paradox, we have to entice smokers over to vaping but the devices look too much like cigs but that's what the smokers mostly want (or need) to make the transition.

My head hurts:facepalm:

I'm a person who hates to be dependent upon any chemicals, stay away from caffeine, don't drink alcohol, no addicting drugs, and yet even people who knew that would harp on me for the cigarettes, so I'm kind of envisioning the same thing happening, the "good for you, but you should quit with the vaping" which I imagine is going to be incredibly frustrating as it seems to be for you. Being Canadian, Health Canada has really screwed over vapers up here too, according to them its pretty much worse then cigarettes, which clearly couldn't be further from the truth.

I have to admit, I chose the Joyetech eRoll (on its way :D) and a large part of that choice was how very cigarette like it was, I'm even trying a couple of 0nic formulas (which being Canada is the only thing we are SUPPOSED to get. Stupid Health Canada.) because a large part of it for me is the hand to mouth action, I mean between when I quit a year and a half ago I've gained 40 pounds because I replaced it with gum and food. Seeing as I started at 165, that was quite the not enjoyable jump, and I think it has had an effect on me slipping back into smoking too unfortunately.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
My daughter gained 80 pounds quitting smoking. She lost it with weight watchers in about a year or more abd maintained for years but slipped back a little and she started smoking because of it. Sent her eRoll kit at her request! So far shes vaping and its lower nic. Have fun with the learning curve! Lots of great suggestions on a few eRoll threads. It has the potential to be flawless. Love hands free vaping

Yeah that's the thing about getting the tar out of your system, it becomes possible to actually do cardio again XD Hopefully by the time six months rolls around and I have a need to upgrade the government will pull their heads out and make it easier to vape up here, because it's pretty stupid at the moment. From reading about on the forums it seemed as though the Joyetech eRoll was a good starter, unlike others from Greensmoke and whatnot, hopefully the forums weren't lying haha

countryjoe

May 19, 2013
lakewood,oh,usa
yeah i get lots of funny looks mainly when i got my vamo vv mod people are curios though and ask i never say its a ecig i say its a personal nicotine delivery system so i could quit smoking lol but they say well u are still somking though then ya gotta go into the whole story of course but i like telling it and i didnt gain weight i lost i have been more energetic since quitting smoking food taste better and i get to order new toys all the time lol But what ever ya do dont let the world influence u its your life live it they way u want

VAPE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee Fay, I wish my mother was supportive like that, the most I ever got was a lecture every time she saw me haha, but yeah being that I just started slipping into it again I'm going purely low nic (assuming I can bloody well get some here) and some 0nic, hoping that I will be able to go straight 0nic and just keep it that way.

Living in a smaller town I'm not sure quite how well a larger unit would go over either, I highly doubt many people around here have even heard of vaporizers and I think walking around with a big unit puffing out great big clouds of "smoke" people would think I was wandering around hitting some kind of futuristic .... or something (not that there is anything wrong with that, but law enforcement would likely think otherwise) and that could lead to all kinds of uncomfortable conversations.

markent

Jun 1, 2013
Samoens France
Only been vaping a week, great to have been cigarette free for seven days, but every single person who has asked about has asked when i will quit vaping, think most of them dont undstand just how happy your a re to be free from cigarettes, and that moving to vaping is possibly the best thing you could have done for yourself, particularly if you are one of the 70 percent of people who smoke (d) analogues and would not otherwise have stopped.

Maggiemw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Middle East
My friends think it is absolutely wonderful that I've been able to stop using combustibles, so there is a lot of support for me here. The problem is that in Israel, it has become excessively difficult to find e-liquid with nicotine, but so far I have managed to track down and acquire a small supply. I'm determined to keep going, though, because this is the FIRST time in I don't know how many years that I have been combustible free for nearly a week (I've only been vaping since May 19th). Nobody has asked me yet so far when I'll stop vaping, thank goodness.

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Living in a smaller town I'm not sure quite how well a larger unit would go over either, I highly doubt many people around here have even heard of vaporizers and I think walking around with a big unit puffing out great big clouds of "smoke" people would think I was wandering around hitting some kind of futuristic .... or something (not that there is anything wrong with that, but law enforcement would likely think otherwise) and that could lead to all kinds of uncomfortable conversations.

I am also in a small town and I did get pulled over by a cop after he saw me vaping my vamo/protank combo while driving. He was actually very nice about the whole thing as I was obviously not intoxicated. Asked me what it was. Ran a routine test with a kit they carry on the liquid. We discussed vaping a bit and how it works. Then he sent me on my way with best wishes on my continued smoke free life.

Now I admit after that experience I tend to take my cigalike when running errands now. As that cop told me they are used to seeing those. His words "Big Rigs like yours are just plain new to us."

The only uncomfortable thing was the rest of the day continually getting phone calls from neighbors and family who "heard" I had gotten pulled over and wanting to get the gossip on it. Yeah small towns are interesting. Which is why I use the cigalike now when out and about. LOL

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I started with the stick batteries, too, but within a month I had ordered my first mods. I vape them everywhere, and although they look nothing like a cigarette I rarely get any stares or special attention. This may be because of where I live, but my city is not exactly known as a liberal or forward-thinking city. Maybe people just figure an upper 50's age guy is not going to be using an illegal smoking device out in public. My friends jokingly call my Provari's my "blank" pipe or hookah pipe. Even my physician calls it my water pipe.

Having said that, since being introduced to vaping by seeing me with my mods, three co-workers have switched or are in the process of switching over from cigarettes to vaping.

I got a similar response to my announcement of being successful quitting cigarettes and switching to e-cigarettes by family and friends as others have here. All are happy about the switch. However, a couple people warned that they had read about an e-cig that had exploded and blown someone's face off. Another person asked didn't the liquid contain anti-freeze.

Even the doctors and medical people that I work with ask when I'm going to stop the e-cigs because of the nicotine. I tell them I haven't decided yet, but really have no plans to ever stop vaping. I've cut my nicotine strength down by half. Besides, the nicotine likely is no worse than the caffeine that most of them consume in huge quantities in their cola or coffee.

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Hi and welcome to ECF. Recently there have been a few new vapers from North Bay joining ECF. As for the Police haven't had any hassles and in fact have converted 12 of them.
Now that you have enuff posts you can request a Vendors list via pm:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...w-nic-supplier-list-via-pm-only-part-2-a.html
You could also post a Shout Out to North Bay Vapers in the Canada Forum
I use my Variable Volt/ VV Spinner when I'm out and about and my Vamo Mod when at home.
As for what people think...first and foremost I'm doing this for myself and my family. You'll find most are quite curious and once they discover what I'm using are always VERY supportive and congratulatory. Most people have a family member or friend that smokes so they generally are quite positive about vaping. I carry spare starter kits in my car and have converted a number of smokers on the spot.
Cheers and the Best of Luck.

I started with the automatic battery because it looked and felt like a cigarette. Went to ego battery and went from prefilled cartomizers to filling my own to tanks/clearomizers. Now i've got over 200 flavors and mix about half my own liquids. If your social and get around lots, like I do, you'll get many people asking questions. I've gotten into the habit of carrying a home made business card with about 10 websites listed on them. I just print it off my printer and keep it in my ecig goody bag. ECF is the first link and my web blog is the last.w I find I get more curious people that are smokers that want to quite, family of someone they that is a smoker or someone that has seen only the Blu GreenSmokes and not the newest things. I do run into a few that say " so when are you going to stop smoking". I will never make them happy. I explain I'm vaping and I can't see giving this up.
It's a risk reduction. I describe it as changing from sky diving to bungie jumping. Still risky, but less. Haters will always be there. I vape where I would have formally smoked so I'm not looking to change the social norms. No vaping indoor in Ohio, for me. I go to where the "smokers" are and I've converted a few :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread