Pulse 24 gets super hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Hi everyone,

I've started experimenting with clapton builds on my Pulse 24 and Dead Rabbit SQ, and one thing I've noticed is that the Pulse 24 gets hot much faster than the DR SQ, and cools down very slowly, even when running it single coil. It was not much of a bother with a single coil, very much noticeable, but it rarely went to the point that it felt uncomfortable to the lips. Dual coils, however, if I chain vape for merely 5 minutes, it's already too hot for me, when I vape on it my lips sometimes slightly touch the top cap, and it becomes problematic...
Are you guys facing the same issue?

I'm also wondering how the Drop and Bonza RDAs handle heat compared to the Pulse (those are two RDAs that I'm struggling not to buy). I believe the Bonza's chamber is pretty much the same size, but the Pulse really has a lot of metal, the airflow piece is really thick, I'm assuming it doesn't help heat dissipation (although I could be very wrong)

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I don't think there's any rda that'll let you chain vape for 5 mins without it getting hot.....

Although it depends on what build you got there but i use dual coils in my drop all the time and at 80+ watts i barely take a couple big hits before the top cap gets hot.

NB: i build anywhere from .18 to .3
Every build had about the same effect
Although higher builds let me take more hits before getting too hot.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Atm the coils are 3mm ID 5 half wraps clapton wire (2*26G+34G Ni80), so quite a lot of mass, coming out at .16ohm.
The build I had before was a single 3.5mm ID 4 half wraps with the same wire, and it got hot considerably faster than the DR SQ. I can chain vape on the DR SQ with the same coil, around 40W (for a .24ohm), pulling 2-3 seconds draws, and obviously it gets a bit warm, but really not that much, it never get so hot that I can't keep my fingers on the barrel. The Pulse, even with a single coil, gets too hot for that, it's a pain to unscrew from the 521 Tab when I'm building on it, I have to put the airflow cap piece on it to unscrew it, and even that piece quickly absorbs the heat from the deck (even though I don't pulse it after I put the airflow piece).

I was hoping the Drop would be cooler :/ good thing for my wallet though, I was really about to buy one. My Pulse is my go-to RDA for now, it vapes fantastic on my squonker, but I may end up using the DR SQ, just because of the heat

Reactions: stols001

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
When I say chain vaping I'm not talking no break between puffs, it's like 2-3 seconds draw, then maybe 20 seconds rest, then another draw, and so on. This is how I usually vape, then I'll let the vape down for 15-30 minutes, then do it again.
As I said though, it's not an issue I have with the DR SQ, it stays reasonably "cold" (really not cold per se, but not too warm), I can easily touch the barrel without thinking to myself "Oh, it got warm". I have this "Damn it's warm" with my pulse after maybe 5 or 6 chained puffs, the 5 minutes is when it gets really too hot for it to be comfortable to use...

Anyway, my Ammit RTA arrived yesterday, so I'm gonna be using it as my all-day-out-and-about atty for a while, I guess I'll use the Pulse at home now, when I can just put it down if it gets too hot, and use something else while it cools down.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I did set them pretty close to the airflow, so kinda low. I'll try setting them higher and a bit more centered, to stay within the air's course.
I had best luck with the airflow striking the bottom of the coils, it gave better flavor and keep the entire coil cool.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
IMG_20180706_114917.jpg

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
So, I rebuilt it higher and more centered (went with fresh coils because I cut the previous ones quite too short). And unfortunately, the problem remains unchanged. I just chained 6 or 7 puffs, let it rest a minute or so, took 2 more puffs, and it's hot as f...

Here are pictures of my build. These are two 5 half wraps 3mm ID coils with 2*26AWG + 34AWG Ni80 fused clapton wire. Coming out at roughly .15ohm (.14 before pulsing, .16 after it, I found that Ni80 clapton tends to rise up a bit when getting pulsed a bit hard, then settles back a little).
Running it with a Sony VTC5A charged at 3.95V when I put it in the mod, so accounting for voltage sag and drop, this is roughly 80W getting fed to the coils. Pretty warm vape also, a bit too much for me, but another wrap would be a LOT of mass, I may end up trying it some time, but not feeling like it for now.

IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0608.jpg

PS: Before anyone gets upset with that build on a single 18650, I do know my ohm's law, battery safety, etc. I know I'm at the high limit of the cell's CDC, rest assured I don't intend to build lower, and I've waited to get this particular cell before trying a build this low. I would not run this build with my Samsung 25R, for instance.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Alright, a few days passed and I just got the Drop. I just put the same build in it, and it gets quite hot too. It takes longer for it to be as warm as the Pulse, but still, the heat problem is there.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the problem actual comes from the mod : as it's plastic (nylon I think) the heat only dissipates through the 510, contrary to most mods containing much more metal acting as heat sink. I think I recall the DR SQ also getting warm faster on the Pulse than on my regulated mod.
I'll just make do with this setup for now (the Drop being much better than the Pulse 24 anyway imo), and wait to get a more standard mod (my regulated is limited to 60W, which is quite not enough for my dual coil build)

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Alright, a few days passed and I just got the Drop. I just put the same build in it, and it gets quite hot too. It takes longer for it to be as warm as the Pulse, but still, the heat problem is there.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the problem actual comes from the mod : as it's plastic (nylon I think) the heat only dissipates through the 510, contrary to most mods containing much more metal acting as heat sink. I think I recall the DR SQ also getting warm faster on the Pulse than on my regulated mod.
I'll just make do with this setup for now (the Drop being much better than the Pulse 24 anyway imo), and wait to get a more standard mod (my regulated is limited to 60W, which is quite not enough for my dual coil build)
I use a lot of primarily plastic mods, I even 3d print some, and none of them have this problem. I have been using one all day today and not had any heat issues.

I would say it has to do with your build, or your style of vaping if it is happening across multiple atomizers.

• Informative
Reactions: Kazuko

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
I would say it has to do with your build, or your style of vaping if it is happening across multiple atomizers.

I don't think I have the craziest build, fused clapton with 2 core strands, 5 wraps, 3mm ID... the wrap sure is a bit thick (34AWG), but there's worse and people seem to be fine with alien wire wrapped with 32AWG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread