Purple efest 18650 battery warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be okay with the 30A 2100mah purple Efest as it is a re wrap of a VTC4? I'm just on a tight budget and need a new set of 30a batteries not on the slow boat from china, and I found these on RTD Vapors website. I usually run a .4ohm coil, but in cloud comps I go as low as .2ohm max. Stupid VTC5 shortage... :facepalm:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be okay with the 30A 2100mah purple Efest as it is a re wrap of a VTC4? I'm just on a tight budget and need a new set of 30a batteries not on the slow boat from china, and I found these on RTD Vapors website. I usually run a .4ohm coil, but in cloud comps I go as low as .2ohm max. Stupid VTC5 shortage... :facepalm:

I'd say your not wrong

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012

Rsunderl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2014
Silver Spring, MD, USA
OK - quick question. I'm not interested in, nor will I probably ever be, in extreme sub-ohming. My interest is, however, somewhat piqued with some of the new regulated mods that can go lower than 1 ohm. I would likely be interested in trying somewhere around .8 ohms and never more than 20 watts. Actually, I currently do most of my vaping at 1.8 - 2.4 ohms at 8-11 watts. Just curious as to whether the lower ohms might give better flavor.

I ran some numbers, and as a theoretical premise, if I ran a .5 ohm coil at 20 watts (which currently is too strong of a TH for me), I would be putting about 6.3 amps through the system. At .8 ohms and 20 watts, it would be 5 amps. and at .8 ohms and 11 watts (my current max "comfortable" wattage) it would be 3.7 amps.

Am I correct in assuming that the purple Efest IMR 18650 3.7V LI-MN 2500mAh "35A" (really 20A continuous) batteries should be safe to use under such circumstances? This, of course assumes no physical damage to the battery or wrapper, using a properly safe charger, charging/discharging properly, etc.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
OK - quick question. I'm not interested in, nor will I probably ever be, in extreme sub-ohming. My interest is, however, somewhat piqued with some of the new regulated mods that can go lower than 1 ohm. I would likely be interested in trying somewhere around .8 ohms and never more than 20 watts. Actually, I currently do most of my vaping at 1.8 - 2.4 ohms at 8-11 watts. Just curious as to whether the lower ohms might give better flavor.

I ran some numbers, and as a theoretical premise, if I ran a .5 ohm coil at 20 watts (which currently is too strong of a TH for me), I would be putting about 6.3 amps through the system. At .8 ohms and 20 watts, it would be 5 amps. and at .8 ohms and 11 watts (my current max "comfortable" wattage) it would be 3.7 amps.

Am I correct in assuming that the purple Efest IMR 18650 3.7V LI-MN 2500mAh "35A" (really 20A continuous) batteries should be safe to use under such circumstances? This, of course assumes no physical damage to the battery or wrapper, using a properly safe charger, charging/discharging properly, etc.
With regulated mods resistance doesn't really matter. It's probably a better idea to use thinner wire/higher resistance to speed up the heat-up and maximize the surface area of the coil. The amp drain will be identical whatever the resistance is. With a fully charged battery the amp drain at 20 watts is 5.3 (assuming 90% efficiency at the chip) with both a 0.5 and a 0.8 ohm coil. Furthermore, with regulated mods the amp drain increases when the battery voltage drops (the battery needs to work harder to provide the same power). At 20 watts and a battery at 3.2v the amp drain is 7 (90% efficiency at the chip). In any case, the Efest will have no problem handling that.

Rsunderl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2014
Silver Spring, MD, USA
With regulated mods resistance doesn't really matter. It's probably a better idea to use thinner wire/higher resistance to speed up the heat-up and maximize the surface area of the coil. The amp drain will be identical whatever the resistance is. With a fully charged battery the amp drain at 20 watts is 5.3 (assuming 90% efficiency at the chip) with both a 0.5 and a 0.8 ohm coil. Furthermore, with regulated mods the amp drain increases when the battery voltage drops (the battery needs to work harder to provide the same power). At 20 watts and a battery at 3.2v the amp drain is 7 (90% efficiency at the chip). In any case, the Efest will have no problem handling that.

Thanks for the quick reply, Ken - nice to know I'll be as safe as possible.

KiltedHammer

Dec 26, 2014
Iowa, USA
After reading nearly this entire thread, I want to assume that the Efest Purple IMR 18650 3100mAh 20A battery will not be a problem for me with my (soon to be once mail arrives) current setup, but want to make sure as to be safe rather than sorry.

Setup: Tesla M2 mod, Aspire ET-S clearomizer tank with 1.8 ohm and 2.1 ohm BVC heads (will also be receiving a Kanger Aerotank Turbo with the Tesla, but will likely wait to get a 26650 mod to use with it on a daily basis due to it's sheer size)

Since I do not plan to go below 1.2-1.6 ohms for quite a while, I should be good to go with this battery, correct?

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks. I thought so but wanted to make sure.

off-topic, but Imperial Beach...... ahh I so miss San Diego. :2cool:

I was unable to come up with just what cell that Efest is using but I'm pretty sure that it is the Panasonic 2900 mah hybrid which is rated at 10 amps continuous.
The Efest 3100's and the Panisonic 2250's that I load tested (pulse only) came out about the same. You are good down to 0.4 ohms but I shall just put it as that's my opinion. That will keep you in the 10 amp range but the battery can produce over 30 amps pulsed.

Phassat

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2014
Planet Earth
It is strange... I have 2 Efest Purple and have 2 Sony VTC 4.

For sure the Efest is not performing as well as the VTC and in fact after 3 months, the two efest is dropping voltage too quick. Even after a full charge on both Efest and Sony, it performs differently. The Sony would fire full power for my RDA with Manhattan. After the Sony, I test Efest freshly charged and I can really tell cause the gap is quite huge.... the firing is far difference vs Sony. To begin with when I bought them, it was never the same quality.

I will dissect the label and update here when I am ready to throw them away.... I am not so sure that mine is Sony VTC 4.
I haven't tried other brand but willing to try them.

I have tried to buy VTC 5 several times but there are too many counterfeit. I just buy VTC 4 from my friend who can assure me that they are the genuine one otherwise there are too many counterfeit of VTC 4 as well....

This is old news to me.

I've been cautioning vapers for months here on ECF that Efest (and vendor resellers) has a history of exaggerating the specs of ohms and amps on their battery spec sheets. Much like the exaggerated specs that Trustfire, Ultrafire, and Surefire do for their batteries, once independent testers bench test the batteries or unwrap the batteries to see what is beneath the skin, the advertised specs are proven to be exaggerated.

I wasn't surprised to find out that the purple Efest 2100mah 30 amp battery was a re-wrapped Sony 2100mah 30 amp battery. Nothing wrong with that, as many manufacturers re-wrap cells made by other manufacturers (ie AW and Orbtronics).

View attachment 360524 Purple Efest 30 amp battery is same cell as Sony VTC4 30 amp battery

Purple Efest 30 & 35 amp batteries?

However, when Efest labels their purple 2600mah battery as being a 35 amp battery, and then we find out that it is a LG18650HE2 battery (which LG claims has only a 20 amp continuous amp rating), then that's being disreputable and deceiving in my mind. These batteries are being marketed to vapers who sub-ohm and there's a big difference in 20 and 35 amps; especially if someone is counting on those extra 15 amps as a safety cushion.

The EH brand 18650 2500mAh advertised at 35A are also rebranded LG18650HE2 20A.

Now the above revelation that the purple Efest 3100 mah advertised to have 20 amps is found to have only 4 - 6 amps continuous is even more appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread