PVs and weight gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
My weight has been known to fluctuate over the last ten years or so but in the last six months (the last three months particularly), I've noticed some weight gain. As I've been vaping for six months, I wondered if there was a link?

Where with cigarettes, I could smoke to my heart's content and skip meals very readily, with vaping I just can't! I have been reducing my nicotine and I've decided to stick at 8mg for a little so I do wonder if that's having an impact too.

It's fair to say that with the issues with my housemates, I've been avoiding the kitchen and living on a diet of utter rubbish so is it more likely to be that instead of the lack of cigarettes? I'm sure there's an expert in here somewhere who can answer that!

In the meantime, I've replaced snacks with cereal. I'm also going to replace sugary snacks with chocolaty cereal bars (the healthier and more filling option) and try and eat proper meals... this has worked for me in the past and I'm not going to go crazy on the dieting as I have done in the past but I can't say I'm happy with this extra weight!x

El_tecolote

Moved On
Apr 10, 2013
Your taste buds have probably been coming back to life after giving up cigarettes, so you unconsciously crave certain foods that didn't bother you previously. Some people say they have little appetite for sweets with vaping. For me, it's the opposite, I crave more dessert tastes than anything since giving up smoking. I guess I've gained seven pounds over the last few years since I started vaping.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Its the nic thats the suppressant, even cutting down would increase your appetite. Do you feel like youve been eating more? Then that could be the case. Or are you eating about the same amount, just unhealthier? Then it would be diet to blame =) Or you could look at exercise. Did you do some sort of chore before that you dont know, or walk somewhere daily or something like that which has changed? So many things could account, even the change in metabolism from age =(

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Only weight I've gained is from carrying around a bunch of extra batteries, juices and clearo's !

Sorry, I know I'm being flippant - but nicotine is a known appetite suppressant. I don't want to say up your nic... only you know what is right for you.

There is a pretty complete description of the effects of nicotine on appetite on wikipedia. I also had this link saved to my favorites which is an academic paper on nicotine as a means to weight control.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/nicotine.htm

Last edited:

Scoop224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Cincinnati
I drink tea (a drop of milk and no sugar), juice (admittedly from concentrate) or cordial in water. The water round by me isn't very nice so it needs something like cordial added to it or its positively undrinkable! Also, there's no room in the fridge for a Britta water filter or i'd have one! lol!x

If you're counting on a Brita filter to give you good tasting water, you're going to be disappointed. Best water I've ever had (daily) comes out of a British Berkefeld (Berkey) water filter. Our tap water is NASTY but after it goes through the Berkey it tastes like Dasani.....no kidding. Look online and read about them, you'll thank me later.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
@Scoop224, wasn't Dasani the water that came from the Thames River in England (at least here in the UK)? I remember working in a supermarket and having to pour litres and litres of the stuff away because they found toxic chemicals in a sample, or something similar. I don't think they even sell it here any more! But I digress! A teeny tiny amount of cordial can't make that much difference can it? It's still got to be better than drinking juice from concentrate? Apple juice used to work though... but I was exchanging 2litres of full fat coca cola for it!

@jerzi, I'm totally gonna up my VG in the next batch I'm making! I've been using 80/20 as my boges were going funny on me really quickly so I'll go back to my regular 70/30 if you think it'll help. I'm reluctant to try butter flavour as what about 'popcorn lung'? I currently vape a blend of Virginia and Honey...it's a pity there aren't any really nice savoury flavours out there!x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread