Not open for further replies.

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Yo, k3v,

Personally, I don't boil the ceramic. I flush it out really well with warm water and then blast it with a torch real good before using. I'm sure that boiling will remove more particulates, but what could be left?

I posted my method of rolling the coil and whatnot in Dan's thread. Works for me with pretty much anything. Or did I post it here? Heck I don't remember. Sounds to me like you have one coil that's too loose. It is a bit tough to get all of the coils tight on these ceramics. That is one reason to get the wick as uniform and cylindrical as possible. I think some people are rushing it. I know I did when I got my TopFin, but it is still working a treat. I will be tweaking my first wick a bit and will try to duplicate it tomorrow. Dual wicks should prove to be interesting...

Yea I just got my first ceramic wick made.. I didn't boil only rinsed and fired to red with flame.. Thinking I need to boil it?? Coils getting red and I'm tasting kanthal.. What's the trick az? To coiling so it doesn't turn red and taste funky,, lol

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Oh, ya know, one thing I could have added, I always heat up the Kanthal or Nichrome to red with a lighter. That will take the initial metal taste out of it and also take a lot of the 'springiness' out of the wire. Just take your time and be gentle with the thing. Remember the finger on the tip of the wick thing while tightening the wire. You'll see what I mean.

Thanks az, I do have a bliss that is dual wicks, but won't do much with it until I get a solo wick down.. Hehee

Oh and I did use a metal cutting disc to cut off the ends of the bubbler, so I cut 1/4 in into the stone, it ate the disc up like it was nothing.. Definetly need diamond..

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
No proper fish stones at my local Pet Smart. Probably a good thing since I haven't had any free time for days now anyway.

In the meantime, I'm still vaping away on my one working inner coil and have lost count of how many times I've refilled it. Interestingly, even after many refills there is still zero darkening of juice in the tank.

Last edited:

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Same here Big D; I've tried quite a few different places, but no luck, either. I've been using your wick and it's working quite well. Tom sent me another piece of FQ (thanks, Tom!) but I have been rather busy, too. I have been battling a rusted wheel hub on my 4x4 for a couple of days now and I finally got it out. These New York winters are tough on vehicles, with the salt and all. Now I need to get a new dust plate for it, since I beat the hell out of it removing the hub; hopefully I'll have the new hub in tomorrow....

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Dsy do u need me to send you a piece of air stone to work on?

Thanks, Kevin but gdeal generously offered me a piece or two (?). Of course, there is aways the possibility of the clumbsy mail person...

Hopefully it will arrive intact - in the meantime, there are a couple more pet shops for me to check out, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
Thanks, Kevin but gdeal generously offered me a piece or two (?). Of course, there is aways the possibility of the clumbsy mail person...

Hopefully it will arrive intact - in the meantime, there are a couple more pet shops for me to check out, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Uh oh....now I feel like I should have sent more.....:facepalm: Let me know if you need another piece. I only sent enough for ~ 2 wicks. But your gonna like the crush proof tube it comes in.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Uh oh....now I feel like I should have sent more.....:facepalm: Let me know if you need another piece. I only sent enough for ~ 2 wicks. But your gonna like the crush proof tube it comes in.

Not a problem gdeal; I'll be as careful as I can when shaping it and wrapping - just to have a piece to try out is enough. I can only say that you guys are the greatest - always willing to help one another; that's what I like about this community. I hope this ceramic can make a difference. I really do enjoy these rebuildable attys; it's just the hassle of shorts and hot spots that takes all the fun out of them.

If only a fully sealable glass tube could be achieved (easily enough), I think we would have it licked. The tube inside the ceramic is an interesting thought; I think it was mentioned a long time ago when the thread started out. But getting a hole in there, and also maintaining a reasonable size for the atty wick hole to supply the wick, could be next to impossible for the DIYer...

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
Not a problem gdeal; I'll be as careful as I can when shaping it and wrapping - just to have a piece to try out is enough. I can only say that you guys are the greatest - always willing to help one another; that's what I like about this community. I hope this ceramic can make a difference. I really do enjoy these rebuildable attys; it's just the hassle of shorts and hot spots that takes all the fun out of them.

If only a fully sealable glass tube could be achieved (easily enough), I think we would have it licked. The tube inside the ceramic is an interesting thought; I think it was mentioned a long time ago when the thread started out. But getting a hole in there, and also maintaining a reasonable size for the atty wick hole to supply the wick, could be next to impossible for the DIYer...

Currently working on something like this... but all ceramic ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread