Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Encapsulating the coil within a Pyrex tube with then surrounding the tube with #500 mesh creates a very clean and consistent vape. In this instance, the wick itself becomes source of the vaporized e-liquid, rather than the coil. Heat is more evenly distributed over a comparatively large area, producing tons of vapor with minimal lag time, and very good efficiency.

The movement of air directly over the vapor producing region of any coil/wick, as is well known by genesis users, is critical to pleasant vape creation. This method addresses this issue and works like any other atty in that the configuration allows for air passage directly over the vape producing area.

So how to do this? While still a work in progress, I now have this nailed well enough that it's worthy of a discussion of how to build these, and seek feedback from other tinkerers that want to run with this and optimize this type of build inspired by Scudatdan's hybrid wick.

The tubes are tiny. 1.5mm to 1.8mm OD with .2mm wall thickness. Kimax(r) Glass Capillary Tubes, Melting Point: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

So making and getting a coil inside is shall we say a challenge. You will need magnification glasses. You will also need 1mm crimping beads, crimping tool (Micheal's), a micro torch, scissors, and a set of helping hands is, well, helpful.

Measure off about 3" of 30ga Nichrome or 2.5" of Kanthal. Crimp 2" of no resistance wire to what will be the positive end, and 3" of NR wire to the negative side.
469641_110537342448321_133755429_o.jpg

Wrap the coil tightly around a small sewing needle leaving no space between coils. It'll be about 25 wraps and 1.5 oms.
325568_110925212409534_1206456886_o.jpg

Next measure the tube to be cut and make about the length you would normally cut the wick for your device. Heat both ends of the tube to flame polish with a micro torch. Don't melt the ends, just heat a second or two. This strengthens the ends a little and helps prevent cracking the tube when pushing the coil in. VERY TRICKY. Good thing the tubes come in packs off 100!

Next push the coil to the end that will be the negative side, which is also the end that will go down into the tank. Manipulate the wire that is sticking out of the other side such that the wire is centered in the tube. With the tube held straight up in the helping hands, use the micro torch to close the glass around the wire. Do this slowly and with the flame hitting down at the end of the tube from above. The glass will not make a bond to the wire. The object here is to minimize the opening.

Now slide the coil back up to the top until it stops against the now nearly closed glass. This is the top. This taper will help later on with sliding the wick over the tube as well.

Flip the tube over and put in a dab of JB Weld to seal the bottom end. Now what we have is a tube that is sealed at the bottom, with an ever so slight opening at the top. Juice must not be able to enter from the bottom!

So now what you have is this:
481838_110925329076189_1293094896_n.jpg

Before we get to the wick, in case you're wondering, the negative lead will come up inside the tank, through the fill hole, to the negative post.

DO NOT TEST FIRE!!! YOU WILL DEFORM THE TUBE!!!

Now the wick. Not much different than normal really.

Torch it unwrapped to add stiffness. Roll tightly around a large paper clip, or syringe needle. Then work it down over the tube from the tapered top end until about 1/8"-1/4" or the tube extends above the wick. Two reasons for this. One is so the hot lead doesn't short against the wick, and two when the wick bubbles up juice, it does no flow down into the tube. Again, we can not have any juice inside of the tube.

How much wick to use? Jury is still out on this one. In this case, I do believe less is more. Remember, the wick itself is what the liquid is primarily vaporizing on. This is clearly seen by vapor coming out from all sides, and not just the top of the wick. So to much, and more heat is needed to vaporize the juice. To little, and not enough. If vaped dry, the tube will deform, and need to be replaced. Been there done that as the old saying goes. 1" wide is what I've used. Next build I'm going to go with 1.5". Both fit without issue through my duds. 2.5mm hole.

This is what the final product should look like:
258555_110538039114918_1179421180_o.jpg

Last edited:

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Let us know how the 1" wick works out,,,
Be a couple of days before I build another one. The 3/4" works great, but tinkerers have to tinker.

I'd like to see how others that have some of the larger tubes and larger gennys make out with this. The only real issue with this set up is if I run it too hot, the tube deforms. Good news is if used normally, this is not a problem at all. Only takes 3.3-3.6 volts to produce tons of vapor.

mre777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Daytona Beach
So you ended up using the JB on the end farthest from the coil :) seals good and its away from the heat. My experiment didn't go to well because it was so close to the coil lol. Looks good man, I hope to turn a few of these out soon too. Ill leave feedback and my impressions when I get a chance. What are you using for the NR wire that can take the heat from the torch and not melt like the 99 silver does?

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Looks good. Have you had any issues with juice being drawn back into the top of the glass tube?

Not with JB sealing the bottom. I did with the first two that the ends were sealed only by melted glass. Can't use JB Weld at the top due to the heat. No problem at the bottom since it is much further away from the coil and is immersed in juice.

The semi closed glass at the top needs to be about 1/8" above the wick. This prevents juice from running down into the tube as it bubbles up at the end of the wick. Acts as an insulator as well for the positive lead.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
So you ended up using the JB on the end farthest from the coil :) seals good and its away from the heat. My experiment didn't go to well because it was so close to the coil lol. Looks good man, I hope to turn a few of these out soon too. Ill leave feedback and my impressions when I get a chance. What are you using for the NR wire that can take the heat from the torch and not melt like the 99 silver does?

Mystery steel. Commandeered from the inside of stripped bread wrappers. :facepalm:

I would think SS is the best bet. I need to order some. Needs to be probably no more than 34ga. Needs to be very flexible to avoid cracking the tube when bending.

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
Encapsulating the coil within a Pyrex tube with then surrounding the tube with #500 mesh creates a very clean and consistent vape.

BigSD, rock on! that looks great. I finally got some nickel NR wire, and am going to Michaels tomorrow to get some 1mm crimps (I'm going to sear close both ends). I'm building out a DID w/3.5mm wick hole so using 2.5OD/2.2ID. Don't you find 30awg to run too hot? What resistance does that coil read in at?

I've built some prototypes with my tubes (haven't closed the ends yet) that don't deform during dry burns.
F870F0BC-AA84-4BB6-8EBB-57B9DDE7CDF0-972-000000666810819D.jpg

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Question for you guys. I got a hold of some 2 x 1 fused quartz from a generous ECF'er sw9668 who donated it to our cause as a New Years gift. Have about 4' of it, but boy, it sure looks like a tight fit to me. I'm assuming that the capillary tubes have a little bit more leeway with the ID? So hard to tell from the picks Big Screen D. Going to dabble a bit in the next few days, but have my doubts that this is going to work for this kind of application. I have some 34g kanthal coming, but have yet to see if that will be thin enough.

mre777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Daytona Beach
Mystery steel. Commandeered from the inside of stripped bread wrappers. :facepalm:

I would think SS is the best bet. I need to order some. Needs to be probably no more than 34ga. Needs to be very flexible to avoid cracking the tube when bending.

there is a really flexible beading wire that they sell at Michaels and hobby lobby im not sure what its called now but back in the day we called it tiger tail like this its multi strand steal. It has a coat on it most of the time but im sure it can be burnt off, i almost got some last time i was there. Should be in the section where the beading and pliers are i think

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
BigSD, rock on! that looks great. I finally got some nickel NR wire, and am going to Michaels tomorrow to get some 1mm crimps (I'm going to sear close both ends). I'm building out a DID w/3.5mm wick hole so using 2.5OD/2.2ID. Don't you find 30awg to run too hot? What resistance does that coil read in at?

I've built some prototypes with my tubes (haven't closed the ends yet) that don't deform during dry burns.

Thanks CW.

Use JB weld at the bottom. You can't get a airtight seal against the wire by melting the glass...a least I can't.

The build in my pic reads 1.4ohms. 30Ga Nichrome. Been running it at 3.3v.

Built a high efficiency model tonight. 32ga Nichrome/3ohms. Going to put a 1.5 inch wide wick on this one. I calculate this will give 4 layers of wick. Is drying now, so we'll see tomorrow how it works.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
there is a really flexible beading wire that they sell at Michaels and hobby lobby im not sure what its called now but back in the day we called it tiger tail like this its multi strand steal. It has a coat on it most of the time but im sure it can be burnt off, i almost got some last time i was there. Should be in the section where the beading and pliers are i think

Cool. I look for some tomorrow!

I did find a way that silver can be used though. Use a piece of steel wire (such as in a bread tie:) ). Then with that wire in the tube, melt the glass into a tip as in my pics, then pull that wire out and shove the wick assembly from the bottom.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Question for you guys. I got a hold of some 2 x 1 fused quartz from a generous ECF'er sw9668 who donated it to our cause as a New Years gift. Have about 4' of it, but boy, it sure looks like a tight fit to me. I'm assuming that the capillary tubes have a little bit more leeway with the ID? So hard to tell from the picks Big Screen D. Going to dabble a bit in the next few days, but have my doubts that this is going to work for this kind of application. I have some 34g kanthal coming, but have yet to see if that will be thin enough.

The capillary tubes are just over 1 mm ID. Walls are .2mm thick. That what allows such efficient transfer of heat, but comes at the cost of fragility. In fact the stated use for these tubes is for testing the melting point of solids.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia

Looking forward to see the results with your larger/thicker tubes. The tubes I have wilted during a dry burn with the ends open. Not a problem with mesh and juice, but a long fire till wicking no longer keeps up will warp them. These little buggers are a royal PIA to work with, but they do work extremely well.

mre777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Daytona Beach
Cool. I look for some tomorrow!

I did find a way that silver can be used though. Use a piece of steel wire (such as in a bread tie:) ). Then with that wire in the tube, melt the glass into a tip as in my pics, then pull that wire out and shove the wick assembly from the bottom.

I get ya its an order of processes thing :D

k3vin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
OK USA
www.vaperstek.org
Ok I did one with fq... The first coil came out at 5.5 ohm.. Not low enough. So used half the wraps and when I checked ohms it was about 3.4 ok, I thought I can deal with that.. So when I hit it with 5.4v it melted my nr silver wire...
Using kanthal a1 32 ga...

I couldn't melt the fq tube so I was going to just jb the bottom and leave the top open but above the mesh wick..
Anyway pics below
utumu7er.jpg

juha9ape.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread