Q: News articles that disappear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
If you're talking about Israel, the thread is gone, and was removed at the OP's request - quite likely because it was misleading.

A week ago, I picked up a story out of some Israeli wire service which indicuated that the Health Ministry was banning vaping around 1pm on Sunday - 8p in Israel. I didn't realize that they lacked the power to do so.

By US ET eve. there was obviously no hope of confirmation, so I ran it w/ the caveat that I only had one brief report. Some other ECF member started a separate thread just a few hours later w/ a link to a Hebrew outlet (which I couldn't read). He also was apparently confused about the Health Ministry's authority.

Next day, the (Jeru.) Post clarified that this was only a proposal for a Knesset vote which was many months away. So I corrected my roundup and suggested that the OP request removal of his thread, on the grounds that it was confusing.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
No I wasn't talking about that. Today there was a news article in the Flagstaff local paper saying the county had included ecigs into their "smoke free" policy. Then the article disappeared within a hour or so. I found links to it. I went to the county's website and found nothing about expanding their policy to include ecig's.

Then someone else said that they had seen other ecig articles disappear from local press' and it concerned them. Me too. I don't know what to make of it, if anything.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
You're probably talkking about this one. I had reviewed it earlier as part of the cumulative 4/3-4/6 summary that I'm about to post.

You're right - they pulled it.

Title: Coconino County added electronic cigarettes to existing smoking ban
(Flagstaff AZ US local paper) http://azdailysun.com/news/local/coconino-county-added-electronic-cigarettes-to-existing-smoking-ban/article_9ca88c06-bd5d-11e3-8303-0019bb2963f4
.html

Apparently the co. already passed an ord. that banned "electronic cigarettes," but the report says "And now Coconino County health officials want to add other electronic smoking devices to the existing ban as well - making it illegal to vape any substance in public." The report goes on to mention e-hookahs and vape pens. Frankly it's not at all clear what precisely the BOH is asking the board of supervisors to do, unless the goal is to ban nic-free vaping.
"'There have been some studies done on the products and 10 known agents have been found that are known to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity,' [Assistant Chief Health Officer for Coconino County] Oxtoby said. 'We think that is too big of a health risk to expose the population to.' [...] 'The toxins are less than a traditional cigarette, but they're still really high,' Oxtoby said. 'It goes back to the long-term studies and the lack of regulations by the FDA. No two e-cigs are made alike. It's really buyer beware. You don't know what you could be inhaling. That's attributed to the lack of regulation by the FDA.' [para breaks omitted, boldface added]"
Evidently the BOH already asked the advisory board last month to support a ban, but no hearing date before the Co. Bd. of Supervisors is set.

[ No legislative threats appear to exist at the statewide level in AZ. ]

I also found this link which appears to have been some kind of weird stub (has the same pic. as the earlier one, I recognize it -

http://azdailysun.com/e-cigs/
image_f71e0530-020f-5e42-9b9e-48e2acd91821.html

I have seen URLs changed before, but normally this reflects an update of some kind. In this case, they must have pulled the entire story - which was confusing and contradictory to begin with. Normally I dig up changed URLs in those rare situations where it comes up via a site-specific Google search. This is the first time that I've seen something completely removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread