Question about coils and ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Hello peeps....I was wondering about the whole ohms discussion I see in forums...
Some people ask me what ohms I like to vape and I was wondering...let's say I like vape at 1ohm that don't mean anything cause u can achieve that resistance with many different thickness of wires....also some say vaping mtl used to be over 1ohm but recently people tend to vape below 1ohm for mtl....Soo was thinking that for me all that matters is the total mass of wire if I say it correct....like since i don't use a mechanical mod I shouldn't really care the ohms my coil is but the mass and the heating surface area...right??
Am i missing something that has to do with ohms?
Also I wonder does the vg percent of juice has to do with the coil??? For example...to vape let's say mtl 70vg would it be better with thicker coil and higher wattage? Like maybe a very thin could would struggle a a bit? Or not be ideal? I know it's Soo many things involved in this last question just saying hahaha :p

• Optimistic
Reactions: HigherStateD

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Modern variable wattage devices can fire with coils in a specific range. The range of resistances that it can output maximum wattage at is, however, much smaller. The dc-dc converter in the mod is still limited to a maximum voltage. Just because a mod says it can hit 95 watts doesn't mean it can do that on the 3.5ohm maximum coil resistance, as that would require 18.23 volts.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
On a regulated device low mass and high surface area is the way to go.
More so on a mechanical device though.
A regulated device with a boost circuit might be more suited to fire up high mass coils than a simple mech.

@VG ratio
Larger ID coils might be counterproductive , because you need a lot more wick, which in turn can block up the juice flow in the wicking slots because of VG's higher viscosity.

VG's boiling point is about 100°C higher than PG's. That means you need indeed slightly more power to evaporate high VG-juice, but the difference is barely noticeable in actual use.
Coming back to VG's higher viscosity, cold juice/environments might even force you to actually lower the wattage to prevent dry hits. Mixing VG with H2O will solve that issue however.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
More so on a mechanical device though.
A regulated device with a boost circuit might be more suited to fire up high mass coils than a simple mech.

@VG ratio
Larger ID coils might be counterproductive , because you need a lot more wick, which in turn can block up the juice flow in the wicking slots because of VG's higher viscosity.

VG's boiling point is about 100°C higher than PG's. That means you need indeed slightly more power to evaporate high VG-juice, but the difference is barely noticeable in actual use.
Coming back to VG's higher viscosity, cold juice/environments might even force you to actually lower the wattage to prevent dry hits. Mixing VG with H2O will solve that issue however.
Agree on all counts, with a few additions. H20 can be used to thin VG, but the amount needed is minimal. 1% should be more than enough. Also, the wicking issue as it pertains to large ID coils and clogging juice channels can be easily remedied with the use of rayon, which requires substantial thinking the wick past the shoulders to properly wick, even on a simple rda deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread