The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Question about rewicking

Discussion in 'Wick and Wire' started by dyanaprajna, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. dyanaprajna

dyanaprajna Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2017
    Indiana
    I use 3 RBA/RTA tanks, 2 TFV8 RBA decks, and a Wotofo Troll RTA. I use standard macrocoils (generally 3 mm ID, 6 wrap, 24g Kanthal). From my understanding, the coils themselves should last at least a few weeks, if not longer. However, I generally have to change the wicks about once a week. This isn't a problem, but here's where I have issues. Everytime I go to change the wicks (I use organic Japanese cotton), I almost always seem to stretch and disfigure the coils. Is this an issue? If so, are there tricks to keep it from happening?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Northernshrink

Northernshrink Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2012
    Bracebridge Ont Canada
    I always cut one end of the old wick as close to the coil as possible before trying to pull it out. I usually use a coil jig to get the coil back to where I want it if I disturb it much before re wicking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. mountaingal

mountaingal Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I suggest you wet the cotton BEFORE you re-wick. It helps it slide in easier.
    I have done this with good results on my lighter gauge wires and it works for me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Walee

Walee Super Member

Oct 6, 2017
    To great suggestions. You can also "twist" the cotton out with the direction of the twist in the coil after you perform the above mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
  5. dyanaprajna

dyanaprajna Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2017
    Indiana
    My problem isn't normally putting the new wick in, it's taking the old wick out. Some great suggestions, I'll have to try these.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    Might be trying to use too much cotton.
    The 24ga you are using is pretty stiff wire, shouldn't distort easily.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    I rewick about twice a week and rebuild twice a month. I use Japanese organic cotton the same as you. Mine comes in thin squares. I cut off strips, wet one end to make a point then roll the rest in my fingers to compress it so it won't drag on the coil as it being pulled through. Another reason to avoid drag is so the cotton is not distributed unevenly on either side of the coil. The cotton fibers have memory and tend to expand after the wiick is in the coil.

Don't go overboard with the compressing. you want the fibers to be in contact with the coil while leaving open spaces between the fibers so the wick can hold more liquid.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Try cutting the old wick flush to the edge of the coil then pulling it out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Dry fire the coil until the cotton burns up/is consumed.
    easy peasy!

cheers
    I

• Like Like x 2
  10. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Those are some good suggestions, some of which I may implement. I have found (and I'm sure this isn't an approved method), that sometimes adding a few drops of e-liquid as a lubricant will help me as I'm rolling and pulling (rayon) through the wick if it's a spaced coil, but then I have to be careful not to overwick as rayon shrinks with liquid. I haven't encountered any leaking issues over this but there are times (or so I am told as given my rayon wicking life) I will have to be careful not to get it too tight in the coil. But, there are times with tricky coils that makes things easier... Your mileage may vary.

Anna

• Like Like x 3
  11. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I run the coil under the sink tap and then twist it out while it's soaking wet. When I used cotton it was always so tight that I had to twist it to get it it the coil. Twisting to get it out works well if you twist it in the direction that the coils are wound. That way the coil imposes a screw action to assist in getting a tight wick out.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.