Question about rewicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I use 3 RBA/RTA tanks, 2 TFV8 RBA decks, and a Wotofo Troll RTA. I use standard macrocoils (generally 3 mm ID, 6 wrap, 24g Kanthal). From my understanding, the coils themselves should last at least a few weeks, if not longer. However, I generally have to change the wicks about once a week. This isn't a problem, but here's where I have issues. Everytime I go to change the wicks (I use organic Japanese cotton), I almost always seem to stretch and disfigure the coils. Is this an issue? If so, are there tricks to keep it from happening?

Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I use 3 RBA/RTA tanks, 2 TFV8 RBA decks, and a Wotofo Troll RTA. I use standard macrocoils (generally 3 mm ID, 6 wrap, 24g Kanthal). From my understanding, the coils themselves should last at least a few weeks, if not longer. However, I generally have to change the wicks about once a week. This isn't a problem, but here's where I have issues. Everytime I go to change the wicks (I use organic Japanese cotton), I almost always seem to stretch and disfigure the coils. Is this an issue? If so, are there tricks to keep it from happening?
I rewick about twice a week and rebuild twice a month. I use Japanese organic cotton the same as you. Mine comes in thin squares. I cut off strips, wet one end to make a point then roll the rest in my fingers to compress it so it won't drag on the coil as it being pulled through. Another reason to avoid drag is so the cotton is not distributed unevenly on either side of the coil. The cotton fibers have memory and tend to expand after the wiick is in the coil.

Don't go overboard with the compressing. you want the fibers to be in contact with the coil while leaving open spaces between the fibers so the wick can hold more liquid.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Those are some good suggestions, some of which I may implement. I have found (and I'm sure this isn't an approved method), that sometimes adding a few drops of e-liquid as a lubricant will help me as I'm rolling and pulling (rayon) through the wick if it's a spaced coil, but then I have to be careful not to overwick as rayon shrinks with liquid. I haven't encountered any leaking issues over this but there are times (or so I am told as given my rayon wicking life) I will have to be careful not to get it too tight in the coil. But, there are times with tricky coils that makes things easier... Your mileage may vary.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I run the coil under the sink tap and then twist it out while it's soaking wet. When I used cotton it was always so tight that I had to twist it to get it it the coil. Twisting to get it out works well if you twist it in the direction that the coils are wound. That way the coil imposes a screw action to assist in getting a tight wick out.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread