Question about tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

friedbob

Verified Member
You can get a 5 pack of boge cartos for about $6 unpunch upward to $10 prepunched. Starting out I would say go for prepunched. Boge is usually the defacto no hassle carto but I know some people swear by smoketech cartos, always an issue of preference. The nice thing is that at the price you can buy some of each and test it out for super cheap.

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
First of all, thank you for all the help and I apologize for asking so many questions.

So I watched videos about carto-tanks and I get the idea. So let's say I bought a ibtanked tank and I didn't like the default carto. Could I try cartos from other brands on that tank? I ask this because the individual price of cartos doesn't seem very high.

Yes you can. Just make sure they are the right size. You can get standard or XL. Of course, you can put an XL in a standard tank and it will just look funny poking out of the top, but the other way around won't work at all. The 2 most popular brands, Smok and Boge, are both offered by IBTanked, though they were out of Boge last I checked.
I'd say the 19mm tanks are the perfect size for most mods, including the Provari. I got a 25mm and its wider than I'd expected.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
First of all, thank you for all the help and I apologize for asking so many questions.

So I watched videos about carto-tanks and I get the idea. So let's say I bought a ibtanked tank and I didn't like the default carto. Could I try cartos from other brands on that tank? I ask this because the individual price of cartos doesn't seem very high.

Absolutely! The IBTank is just a glass tube with caps. You can put any brand of carto you like in it, as long at is it punched (a hole it either comes with or you punch yourself) and it's the correct length.

ETA: Baditude likes IKenVape, but they are often out of stock.

In my XL IBTanks I use Smok/Smoktech (they are the same brand, but vendors sometimes use different names): http://www.smoktek.com/Single-Coil-XL-Tank-Cartomizer-for-the-SmokTank-XL_p_211.html

The last time I bought the standard size I got them from IBTanked. Boge is also a popular brand. Standard length is 35mm, XL is 45mm.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
tank lengths.jpg

The above graphic can help you figure out which cartomizers go with which tank. It's simple really: 35mm cartos (standard) for 35mm length tanks; 45mm cartos (XL) for 45mm length tanks. This graphic appears a couple of times in a couple of my blog articles.

• Boge - filler material is more densely packed. Can prolong or complicate time to fill with e-liquid depending upon the fill method used. Not as likely to flood.

• Smoktech - filler material is less densely packed. Fill easier, but some people find that they flood more easily.

• Ikenvape - premium quality cartomizer from just one vendor who because of issues beyond his control can not keep supply up to demand. Better flavor and last somewhat longer in a tank.

As Ocelot said, my favorite are Ikenvape if I can get them. My back up carto are the Smoktek that Ocelot linked to. I've never been a big fan of Boges mainly because with the method I use to fill cartos it takes too long. I'd try at least a few of each brand to see which work best for you.

2 laser-drilled pre-punched holes seems perfectly adequate for the majority of juices.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
A carto-tank is you best option unless you like frustration, inconsistency, high maintanence and an airy draw. If so, then stick with a clearomizer.

Blanket statements like that will always be FALSE, no matter which way you lean. My experience has been quite the opposite. I started off on Boge Carto's. Had lots of defective units straight out of the box, many more had extremely short lifespan, and only about 25-33% were a good experience. My EVOD on the other had has never leaked, never gurgled, never dry hit, and never disappointed.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Blanket statements like that will always be FALSE, no matter which way you lean. My experience has been quite the opposite. I started off on Boge Carto's. Had lots of defective units straight out of the box, many more had extremely short lifespan, and only about 25-33% were a good experience. My EVOD on the other had has never leaked, never gurgled, never dry hit, and never disappointed.

Excellent points. Although my experience with cartotanks has been much more satisfying, I have also recently been enjoying the latest generation of clearomizers, which have marked improvements from just a year ago.

I believe the key is to do your research either here or viewing videos on You Tube. Find what looks applicable to your setup and give it a decent shot after learning some knowledge first.

Had I only used Boge cartos myself, I never would have enjoyed my cartotanks like I do now. There are other cartomizers available which give a different vaping experience. I found that I preferred Smoktech and Ikenvape cartos over the Boge.

Everyone will have personal preferences. What works for them is the "best".

Last edited:

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Whenever I try to post helpful explanations, just wait till morning and Ocelot and/or Baditude will come along and do it better. Cause I'm a bad teacher. lol
I've only used Smok thus far. I'm gonna order some Boge soon and I suppose I must now investigate Ikenvape as well. Although, Ikenvape is gonna be hard.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
Whenever I try to post helpful explanations, just wait till morning and Ocelot and/or Baditude will come along and do it better. Cause I'm a bad teacher. lol
I've only used Smok thus far. I'm gonna order some Boge soon and I suppose I must now investigate Ikenvape as well. Although, Ikenvape is gonna be hard.

We sell a lot of the Boge 1.6 ohm dual coil carto-tanks. The people that use them seem to like them quite a bit.
Though admittedly, I personally don't do cartos unless I really have to. I just hate the taste of filler material in my juice!

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
We sell a lot of the Boge 1.6 ohm dual coil carto-tanks. The people that use them seem to like them quite a bit.
Though admittedly, I personally don't do cartos unless I really have to. I just hate the taste of filler material in my juice!

I hear a lot of people talk about the "carto-flavor" but much like Grimm, I've never come across that, unless I burned it dry. I tend to get more "clearo-flavor" issues. I taste the wicks in my clearos a lot. I also chain vape so I get dry hits much more often on clearos, but I still use them for certain flavors. My green apple for example tastes better in my Protank than my carto tank. It seems the rule of thumb is that I like darker juices in carto tanks and more clear juices in my clearos.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
I hear a lot of people talk about the "carto-flavor" but much like Grimm, I've never come across that, unless I burned it dry. I tend to get more "clearo-flavor" issues. I taste the wicks in my clearos a lot. I also chain vape so I get dry hits much more often on clearos, but I still use them for certain flavors. My green apple for example tastes better in my Protank than my carto tank. It seems the rule of thumb is that I like darker juices in carto tanks and more clear juices in my clearos.

I've re-coiled a few Vivi Novas with Long U-Bent SS wicks, and got good results for the 1st half tank, then wicking issues due to gravity took over and I started getting to many dry hits... So I'd have to top off at 1/2 a tank...

I'm currently having real good results with bottom coil clearos with VERY short wicks...

Still My absolute preference is dripping a Low Res 510 atty.
For years that's all I would do, and I removed the bridge and bridge mesh from every one so I could drip on bare coil.

The new L-Rider LR 510 attys are the first ones I've ever found that I LOVE to drip straight out of the wrapper with no modifications.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
so when you put it on the ego it tastes nice but when you put it on the provari it tastes terrible? Seems like it has to be a voltage issue since the ego is a 3.? device & the provari can be changed. Have you tried the same voltage on the provari (sorry if this was already asked and answered. I didn't read the entire thread)?

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
A carto-tank is you best option unless you like frustration, inconsistency, high maintanence and an airy draw. If so, then stick with a clearomizer.

This is funny cuz I had more inconstancy & high maintenance with cartos than I have ever had with a vivi nova tank. There are certain annoyances with the Vivi. And I never have a airy draw with a Vivi. I do have issues sometimes so I won't way they're perfect. But personally I can't stand cartos.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
so when you put it on the ego it tastes nice but when you put it on the provari it tastes terrible? Seems like it has to be a voltage issue since the ego is a 3.? device & the provari can be changed. Have you tried the same voltage on the provari (sorry if this was already asked and answered. I didn't read the entire thread)?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... crank it down to 3.4 or 3.5 volts and slowly increase by .1 volt at a time till you hit the sweet spot.
Probably burnt the wick already, so I'd change the head, dump the juice and start fresh though...

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

Based on the hundreds+ posts on the issues with clearos on various vaping sites vs carto issues, I would say that my statement is not too far off. And I specifically recommended TANK-cartos, not just cartos. And with a tank-carto there is no maintenance required. Can't make that comment about clearos.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
This is funny cuz I had more inconstancy & high maintenance with cartos than I have ever had with a vivi nova tank. There are certain annoyances with the Vivi. And I never have a airy draw with a Vivi. I do have issues sometimes so I won't way they're perfect. But personally I can't stand cartos.

What was the inconsistency and maintenance required with a tank-carto???? Please explain. I specifically stated a carto in a tank. I would really like to know what maintenance is required on a tank-carto. I'm sure you were not comparing a plain carto to a clearo since that was not the comparison I was making.

Diogopm

Jun 26, 2013
Portugal
Hello. I apologize for bumping the post but I have a question: I am going to order a standard sized tank from ibtanked. When making the config they give me a couple of cartomizer options, they offer: Smok 2.0 ohm Single Coil 2 Hole XL, Smok 3.2 ohm Single Coil 2 Hole XL and Smok 3.2 ohm Single Coil Mini 19.8mm. Which ones should I pick? I am not asking your opinion on quality, but how can I know if they fit in this tank? From what I've read there are different cartomizer sizes for different tank sizes.

Thank you and sorry for the bump.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Based on the hundreds+ posts on the issues with clearos on various vaping sites vs carto issues, I would say that my statement is not too far off. And I specifically recommended TANK-cartos, not just cartos. And with a tank-carto there is no maintenance required. Can't make that comment about clearos.

If the carto is clogged or will not fire straight out of the box then it's not going to matter if it's in a tank or not. The difference between a defective carto out of the box and a defective clearo head out of the box is that I can fix the clearo head instead of just having to toss it.

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
Hello. I apologize for bumping the post but I have a question: I am going to order a standard sized tank from ibtanked. When making the config they give me a couple of cartomizer options, they offer: Smok 2.0 ohm Single Coil 2 Hole XL, Smok 3.2 ohm Single Coil 2 Hole XL and Smok 3.2 ohm Single Coil Mini 19.8mm. Which ones should I pick? I am not asking your opinion on quality, but how can I know if they fit in this tank? From what I've read there are different cartomizer sizes for different tank sizes.

Thank you and sorry for the bump.

It seems like they are out of standard size cartomizers that's why you don't have the option to select it, in-stock they have xl or mini so get a xl tank if you want it now, if not then you have to wait until they restock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread