Status
Not open for further replies.

spaky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Making cement boots
I ordered a bottle of PG from Animal Care Center and when I received it I noticed that it was not labeled USP grade. After looking at the bottle it was packaged by Gateway Products so I called them to ask. The person I was talking to wasn't sure and put me on hold to find out. When he came back he told me that when they buy it it is USP grade, but after they repackage it it is considered feed grade.

Now this doesn't really concern me since I smoked for 15 years and never cared about what I was putting in my lungs. Also I have been using it for over 2 months with no problems.

Now my question is a lot of suppliers sell VG and PG and claim that it is USP grade, but if what I have heard from Gateway Products is true wouldn't this be a misrepresentation? Now I'm not saying that any supplier is deliberately misrepresenting their products, just that they don't realize that when you repackage the USP grade stuff it no longer is USP grade. Also isn't this something that should be addressed by suppliers?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I ordered a bottle of PG from Animal Care Center and when I received it I noticed that it was not labeled USP grade. After looking at the bottle it was packaged by Gateway Products so I called them to ask. The person I was talking to wasn't sure and put me on hold to find out. When he came back he told me that when they buy it it is USP grade, but after they repackage it it is considered feed grade.

Now this doesn't really concern me since I smoked for 15 years and never cared about what I was putting in my lungs. Also I have been using it for over 2 months with no problems.

Now my question is a lot of suppliers sell VG and PG and claim that it is USP grade, but if what I have heard from Gateway Products is true wouldn't this be a misrepresentation? Now I'm not saying that any supplier is deliberately misrepresenting their products, just that they don't realize that when you repackage the USP grade stuff it no longer is USP grade. Also isn't this something that should be addressed by suppliers?

spaky, it the PG you got still 99+%? Or did they add anything? I don't know, but it could be that USP means it is packaged under particular conditions. Maybe the bottles in the repackaging do not need to be sterile for feed. I would think downgrading to a non-USP status would be worse for the seller, since USP grade would fetch more money. Upgrading a non-USP PG or VG to USP would be illegal, as the rules are tighter for USP products. If they were doing this they could get into serious trouble.

But personally, I would just get USP labeled stuff myself. There are very inexpensive sources on the internet, and unless you are intending to sell juices, even a liter will last a very long time.

spaky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Making cement boots
Well the bottle has stated on it that there is nothing added, and the way that the person I talked to handled it to get me the information I believe that.

However my concern isn't for the bottle that I have, but for the various suppliers on this forum the resell the stuff. What brought this to my attention was I bought a DIY kit from a very respected vendor on here. In it were a few bottles labeled USP VG and PG that were clearly repackaged. Now I don't know exactly what needs to be done to keep the USP grade in repackaging, but I'm willing to bet a lot, if not all the sites on here selling it don't either. I'm sure most think that if the bottle they have is USP grade that what they are selling is also. I'm just pointing out that this may not be the case.

Also I'm sure unless we the consumers make a case to them that none will change. I mean if you are going to buy PG from a vendor you're going to buy it from one that has the USP grade as opposed to one that doesn't. But do any of them actually conform to the standards that must be kept to retain that grade?

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I think what has happened here is that the vendor is acknowledging that once they repackage the PG, it technically no longer can be said to be USP grade. I.E., Since it's not in the original, unaltered USP packaging, it's not USP, even if repackaged to a absolutely clean container.. this means that the original USP packaging is part of the whole USP certification.

It's ultimately not all that hard to get PG in it's original USP packaging, so if you're concerned about possible shenanigans, that would be your best bet. Guess it all depends on how well you trust the re-packager.

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
Doesn't the USP also mean that the liquid itself is pure and free of contaminants and that sort of thing? That's more or less how I saw it when I purchased USP grade PG and VG. I don't care if it's been repackaged or not, as long as the product itself is clean and of high quality. I think it's a moot point that the product has been transferred to smaller containers. Unless it's been poured into un-sterile containers or mixing bottles, etc, what's the worry?

blueeyekelly

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
all ove the USA
A lot of things used in cosmetics and stuff have certifications but once it is repackaged it loses them, I can see this happening with the USP certification, I know it happens with color certifications for dyes used in cosmetics. However, are you sure the suppliers are repackaging the PG? Some of the places you can get USP PG online the bottles are..... well like some of the sellers here and I believe these sources are doing what ever it takes to keep the USP cert.

I hope that made sense... and if not I should really stop posting early in the morning...

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Doesn't the USP also mean that the liquid itself is pure and free of contaminants and that sort of thing? That's more or less how I saw it when I purchased USP grade PG and VG. I don't care if it's been repackaged or not, as long as the product itself is clean and of high quality. I think it's a moot point that the product has been transferred to smaller containers. Unless it's been poured into un-sterile containers or mixing bottles, etc, what's the worry?

The USP means that it meets the specifications of the USP monograph for the material. Nothing more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread