• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Question about VG in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I went to Shoppers Drug Mart and asked the pharmacist for PG or VG, he pointed me to this.

It only says "Glycerin USP":

14u32p.jpg

My question is, is this stuff safe to use to dilute some of my juices? I diluted one, and it vapes fine and doesn't feel any different, then I got daring and vaped a drop of it right off a 306, and it tasted like nothing and sent a cloud of vapour.

I hope I'm not doomed, any help would be awesome.

P.S. I am aware of the stupidity of just vaping something I'm unsure about. I did a bit of research and it seems most VG is refined from Coconuts and used topically, which this is labeled for. It does say for external use only, but it is used in cough and cold syrups too.

Thanks,

~Charlie

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I don't think it matters much, but if it doesn't say vegetable glycerin, it means it's petroleum based and not "food grade." Chemical composition is the exact same, but the impurities (if any) will be different.

USP means it's approved for pharmaceutical use so there really shouldn't be much of a concern. That's my understanding anyways.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I didn't have any luck ordering PG from 2 shoppers drug mart. But I went to my local Independent grocery store and asked the pharmacist there. She said no problems and ordered me up a 500ml bottle of PG for like $7. She never asked what it was for, but I told her my girlfriend was making soaps and needed some PG.

Haha nice! I bought some from a DIY supplier for $6.99, but only 120ml. I think I'll try hitting up a local pharmacy or even Walmart. Good tip.

Do you normally cut with VG or PG?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I cut with both as I have 500ml of 36mg VG and PG nic juice. Depends what base I use.

Groovy stuff. I'm soon to have both too, will find what works for me.

On the ingredients list you should only see one thing, glycerin 99.5% (or higher), perhaps followed by the word "anhydrous". Most glycerin, at least in the US, is actually vegetable glycerin, since it comes from Humco (rebranded by chains). See http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/52669-pg-vg-labeling-purity-please-read.html for a good writeup on glycerin.

Its odd, this bottle has absolutely no % or ingredients list.

ardelleg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
I have gotten Wilton's glycerine at the craft store in the cake frosting section, it doesn't list any ingredients and says Glycerine USP like the brand the OP bought.

I assumed that since it is from Wilton and used for frosting it is considered food grade.

Thanks 'Old Chemist' for the clarification... so I am buying some water....:)

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Is there a way to get 100% or close to it Glycerin? Most recipes I found for DIY stuff that I want to try do not call for water. I don't see it affecting the nicotine absorption significantly (I could be off here), but it might sacrifice a bit of taste seeing as the glycerin has a very sweet taste to it, and certainly the consistency.

Any thoughts, Old Chemist?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Must be a Canada vs. US labeling thing, that you don't see an ingredients list. In the US I generally use RiteAid's USP Glycerin skin protectant. It does have an ingredients list, the only entry is "glycerin 99.5% anhydrous". It's a quite thick, clear, liquid. The couple of bottles of it that I've bought at Walmart, different label, are the same -- thick, clear, they've all said glycerin 99.5%. None of the US ones that were labeled Glycerin USP were 84%.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Must be a Canada vs. US labeling thing, that you don't see an ingredients list. In the US I generally use RiteAid's USP Glycerin skin protectant. It does have an ingredients list, the only entry is "glycerin 99.5% anhydrous". It's a quite thick, clear, liquid. The couple of bottles of it that I've bought at Walmart, different label, are the same -- thick, clear, they've all said glycerin 99.5%. None of the US ones that were labeled Glycerin USP were 84%.

Strange, I think I am going to hit up a Walmart this afternoon, they seem to have more US-Canadian consistency with products, and Shoppers Drug Mart is strictly Canadian as far as I know and sells their own brand of pharmaceuticals and supplies. I'll keep people posted and upload some pictures if I have any luck.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
At Walmart people say they've found Humco's own-labeled version, and that's what shows on their Web site, but the couple of times I've bought there it's been rebranded. It should be in the pharmacy section, near the bandaids, clear 6 ounce bottle, otherwise the pharmacist should have no problem finding it -- Glycerin USP Skin Protectant.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I went to our local Walmart store yesterday to hunt down some Glycerin and they looked at me like I was from Mars and didn't know what I was talking about. sighs I'm going to take my chances on Shoppers

I think you should be OK with Shoppers. I'm feelin fine and my juices are very vapoury :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread