May 13, 2013
Illinois, United States

Topdogie01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Illinois, United States
see, thats what i was thinking. but wouldnt a higher quality be better? trying to decide if i want to use it to vape or let wife use it for her homemade soaps and lotions.

but thinking that if acs grade is higher than usp, wouldnt it still be fine to use and possibly better than usp as its a higher grade?

(tired, lack of sleep due to insomnia and acid reflux)

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
ok. wasnt sure how the acs compared to usp grades for vaping. since it seems acs is a higher purity from what i have read.

Mix up 5ml batch and give to somebody you don't like. As long as they don't fall out and start foaming at the mouth it's probably ok.

Seriously, wonder if it tastes different. You sampled it? Finger-Tongue test?

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
1. A.C.S.

A chemical grade of highest purity and meets or exceeds purity standards set by American Chemical Society (ACS).

2. Reagent

High purity generally equal to A.C.S. grade and suitable for use in many laboratory and analytical applications.

3. U.S.P.

A chemical grade of sufficient purity to meet or exceed requirements of the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP); acceptable for food, drug, or medicinal use; may be used for most laboratory purposes.

Reagent A.C.S. - This designates a high quality chemical for laboratory use. The abbreviation "A.C.S.," means the chemical meets the specifications of the American Chemical Society. A Certificate of Analysis is available upon request.

Reagent - The highest quality commercially available for this chemical. The American Chemical Society has not officially set any specifications for this material.

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
ive tasted a small drop of it and cant tell any difference to walco glycerin. was just wanting to check with more experienced users to see if they knew anything. guess i may be the first one to use it on the forms who is posting about it. didnt see any other threads on its use.

Way I read all that mumbo jumbo is this stuff is better quality than USP. It is as high quality as can be made(ACS). USP just meets the standards ACS exceeds them. You got my attention.

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
Glycerin, Natural, USP, EP, BP, JP
Synonymns: Glycerol| 1,2,3-Propanetriol
Chemical Formula: C3H8O3
Formula Weight: F.W. 92.10
Chemical Specifications
Assay (Anhydrous Basis)
99.0-101.0% Specific Gravity @ 25°C
Min. 1.249 Specific Gravity @ 20°C
Min. 1.258 Appearance of Solution
To pass test Refractive Index
1.470-1.475 Identification: Identification A (USP)
To pass test Identification B (USP)
To pass test Identification C (USP)
To pass test MAXIMUM LIMITS Color
To pass test Residue on Ignition (Sulphated Ash)
0.01% Chloride (Cl)
0.001% Sulfate (SO4)
0.002% Heavy Metals (as Pb)
5 µg/g Chlorinated Compounds (Halogenated Compounds as Cl)
30 ppm Water
2.0% Fatty Acids and Esters
To pass test Related Compounds (USP)
To pass test Impurity A and related substances
To pass test Acidity or Alkalinity
To pass test Aldehydes
10 ppm Sugars
To pass test Ammonium
To pass test Calcium
To pass test Arsenic
2 ppm Acrolein, Glucose or other Reducing Substances
To pass test Readily Carbonizable Substances
To pass test Esters
To pass test Residual Solvents
To pass test

Glycerin, Reagent, ACS
Synonymns: Glycerol| 1,2,3-Propanetriol
Chemical Formula: C3H8O3
Formula Weight: F.W. 92.10
Chemical Specifications
Assay
Min. 99.5% Neutrality
To pass test MAXIMUM LIMITS Color (APHA)
10 Residue after Ignition
0.005% Chlorinated Compounds (as Cl)
0.003% Sulfate (SO4)
0.001% Acrolein and Glucose
To pass test Fatty Acid Esters (as Butyric Acid)
0.05% Substances Darkened by Sulfuric Acid
To pass test Heavy Metals (as Pb)
2 ppm Water (H2O)
0.5%

HeHe. Confused now for sure! Just testing differences from what I'm finding. Don't know what those are. No doubt we know USP is ok but somebody that knows what they are looking for in each test is needed to explain the difference in the standards. May already be known at the ACS standard it's not necessary to test the same as USP because it's already included? Don't know.
Call the buddha.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
0.01% Chloride (Cl)
0.001% Sulfate (SO4)

0.005% Chlorinated Compounds (as Cl)
0.003% Sulfate (SO4)

...May already be known at the ACS standard it's not necessary to test the same as USP because it's already included? Don't know.
Call the buddha.

Nope, they are different standards. USP allows more chlorinated compounds than ACS while ACS allows more sulfate compounds than USP. They differ slightly with lead too, very slightly. Both have good purity and the ACS is better overall, but there are differences with specifics. (The differences are fairly small though.)

I know USP also has standards for packaging, environment of the packaging area, handling, and expiration. I don't know enough about ACS to know if it covers factors other than purity. I don't see anything wrong with ACS, but I'm not sure the difference is worth the extra $. Now if the flavor is more neutral for the ACS, then I would be more likely to try the ACS myself.

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
I know USP also has standards for packaging, environment of the packaging area, handling, and expiration. I don't know enough about ACS to know if it covers factors other than purity. I don't see anything wrong with ACS, but I'm not sure the difference is worth the extra $. Now if the flavor is more neutral for the ACS, then I would be more likely to try the ACS myself.

My thoughts also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread