Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
Or wannabe DIYer.

Been watching this vid about DIY, which seems excellent and pretty thorough--

My question's this-- To get a decent cigarette-like throat hit, should I go for PG or VG nicotine?
For me, vaping is strictly for smoking cessation (and it worked, which still amazes me as does the jihad against vaping which has helped so many). I just want a decent, Marlborough/Pall Mall type throat hit and a decent amount of vapor. I'm going to try to come as close to the type of 18 mg coffee flavor e-liquid I've been buying and which has gotten me off cigs. Problem with them is their company sucks (price, shipping, being out of stock, etc.). Time to do it myself. Looks like fun too. Once I have a base flavor down, I'll experiment with others.

Any help would be appreciated. Going to order everything I need today if possible. Got the scale for Christmas!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
"Throat hit" is primarily the result from the nicotine concentration, and secondarily from the Pg.

Much depends upon the juice delivery device (tank) used. Standard resistance (ohm) coils will need a little higher nic content; sub-ohm coils will generally require half the amount of nicotine.

Coffee flavors can be a little tricky for DIY in my opinion. Most need some "steep time" to reach their full flavor potential.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would say if you can buy your nic base in PG. I say that merely as someone who cannot tolerate much PG at all, I'm somewhat sensitive to it when inhaled in large quantities, so I have to use VG base nic and it is more of a pain to handle and manage as it's quite thick.

As to what VG/PG ratio you will use? That depends on a lot of factors, as has been stated. More PG does increase throat hit, as does a higher nicotine strength. However, if you are using sub0hm coils (resistance lower that 1.0 though it's typically a LOT lower than that these days, there will be limits on the amount of VG you want to use. If you are using a small MLT tank with coils of resistance of 1.0 or above, typically you may find a higher PG easier to manage.

Strength of nicotine will increase you throat hit as well.

Good luck, if you can provide details about your setup, we can probably be more precise. DIY is tons of fun!!! :)

Anna

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm just using ego twist 1300 mAh batteries, Aspire ET tanks and 1.8 ohm coil. This has been working great for me. The E-Liquid is V2's coffee flavor, 1.8 mgs. I want to try to come as close as I can to that.

Think I'm going to try combining Liquid Barn's Cappucino flavor with a little of their their cream flavor. Maybe a little sweetener too. From the replies, it looks like PG Nic is the way to go with about a 50/50 PG to VG ratio. Seems pretty straightforward, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. What seems straightforward sometimes isn't.

Thanks again!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm just using ego twist 1300 mAh batteries, Aspire ET tanks and 1.8 ohm coil. This has been working great for me. The E-Liquid is V2's coffee flavor, 1.8 mgs. I want to try to come as close as I can to that.

Think I'm going to try combining Liquid Barn's Cappucino flavor with a little of their their cream flavor. Maybe a little sweetener too. From the replies, it looks like PG Nic is the way to go with about a 50/50 PG to VG ratio. Seems pretty straightforward, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. What seems straightforward sometimes isn't.

Thanks again!
50/50 is a good ratio for your gear. Mix a small 15ml tester and if you want more th up the pg to 60 for the next 15ml tester.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
Maybe the cappucino,vienna cream and a touch of sweet cream if your going to try liquid barn only. If your going to try to get close to the V2 I think your going to have to venture out. FA's UP would be a good addition

What's "FA's UP"?? I'm not upon the abbreviations. I'd like to check them out though.

Thanks, dc.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread