Question: Is it good to rock a mech mod with a single coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
So, I'm getting a kick @$$ mech mod at the end of the month and I'm also getting a RDA that takes single and dual coil builds.
My question is this, is it advisable to put a single coil build on a mech mod, seeing they just pump out the power like no man's business?

Many use single coils with their mechanical devices. It’s not how many coils, but their resistance that dictates the output of a mechanical device. Know your ohms law!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My question is this, ... seeing they (mech mod) just pump out the power like no man's business?
I'm wondering where this myth comes from? :blink:

Yes, before there were high wattage regulated mods the only way you could put out massive wattage was to use a super sub-ohm coil on a mech mod. And there were inherent risks in doing so, like venting a battery or pushing it into thermal runaway. With a 30 amp cdr battery and using a 0.1 ohm coil the most powerful output you can get from a mech mod is 176 watts. Do the math with an Ohms Law Calculator.

:danger: A 0.1 ohm coil will have an "amp draw" of 42 amps. That's 12 amps over the amp limit of a 30 amp battery. Dangerous and NOT RECOMMENDED. Using a 0.14 ohm coil lowers the amp draw to 30 amps and puts out 126 watts. "Safer" but still not recommended. Allow yourself a bit higher margin of safety by using a higher ohm coil build.

Today we have high wattage regulated mods capable of putting out as much as 180 watts with dual 30 amp batteries or 270 watts with three 30 amp batteries. Plus you get layers of protection circuitry that you don't get with a mechanical mod. With regulated mods, coil resistance is irrelevant. If its absolute power or wattage you are looking for, go with a regulated mod -- not a mech.

Remember, the only two confirmed deaths from vaping were two individuals who were using a mechanical mod which exploded in their face. One had his atomizer propelled into his skull, the second one had the atomizer propel itself into his carotid artery and he bled to death. First vape related death

I don't have anything against using a mech mod safely, but using one requires knowing battery safety, battery specification knowledge, and knowing how to use Ohm's Law calculations.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@Baditude nailed it. There is nothing inherent to a mech that makes it "more powerful" than today's regulated mods. I almost exclusively use single coil builds in mech squonks. This is not a criticism of you, but to state that about mechs strongly suggests you don't have nearly enough understanding to be using one in the first place. Please read up on Ohms law and how mechs actually function, their strengths and weaknesses (and no, more power is not a strength at all), and safe use so you don't end up another vape injury in the ER and make the news.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
So, I'm getting a kick @$$ mech mod at the end of the month
Sorry can you tell us what is the model of this mechanical mod?I need to know if this is "hybrid" or not.
Mechanical mods require education before starting to use them.
Battery safety,Ohm's Law,electrical conductivity.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
What's the difference between a kick @$$ mech mod and a regular mech mod ?
Or is it called 'kick @$$' ?
Your question makes me worried about your knowledge - why would you think it wouldn't be safe to use a single coil ?
What makes you believe that it will be powerful ? - the device will output 4.2v on a fully charged battery rapidly tapering off as it is used.

I've used mechs for a while (before the advent of devices that have made mechanical devices all-but obsolete) and i can assure you that running one with a 3 ohm coil doesn't feel particularly 'powerful'.
My advice to you would be - always remember the 3 E's - Education, education & education.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Boy u all sure make it scary with the battery talk & the ohms' law stuff (which I don't think I'll ever understand it but im trying) it makes me not want to vape on a mod. or any battery device. I guess I haven't heard about what all can happen with any type battery !

It's the other way round. Not understanding the basics is when scary stuff can happen. These batteries are safe if handled, and used properly. Like driving a car though there is a learning process required or scary can be the outcome.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Boy u all sure make it scary with the battery talk & the ohms' law stuff (which I don't think I'll ever understand it but im trying) it makes me not want to vape on a mod. or any battery device. I guess I haven't heard about what all can happen with any type battery !

Don't be scared, this thread is about a mechanical mod/power device's.

Mechanicals have no protection circuitry or features other than the users skill & knowledge.
They require a way to accurately measure resistance of the coils used and test for shorts, understanding of various wire types, wicking materials & techniques, a firm understanding of ohm's law, advanced battery selection, use & handling knowledge to use/vape safely.

Semi decent regulated power devices/mod have built in protection features & circuitry, built in ohm's meter, ability to adjust power output by pressing a button, usually a display screen to show info and safety warnings if any occur.
Basic battery safety & selection and reading the owners manual keeps you as safe as it gets.

I have no idea why someone would start a thread in the section dedicated to ' tanks, clearomizers and drop in coils ' when having questions about mechanical & RBA use.
Clearly stating the OP intends to use an RDA which is a completely different method of vaping and has nothing to do with tanks, clearomizers and drop in coils.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

You'd be surprised at the heat and smoke that a typical 9v battery we use in personal electronics can produce when shorted.

A shorted Lithium cell quickly turns into a small blowtorch and can create a small explosion (more like a loud pop). If it's in your hand or even worse, your pocket, it can cause 3rd degree burns quickly. That's why we caution everyone to never put a lithium cell in a pocket or purse unless it's in a plastic battery box/case.

Handled correctly and with forethought about lithium cell safety lithium cells don't present a danger. It's when they are allowed to come in contact with metal across the terminals that they become dangerous. They are definitely something to be respected and handled safely.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's the other way round. Not understanding the basics is when scary stuff can happen. These batteries are safe if handled, and used properly. Like driving a car though there is a learning process required or scary can be the outcome.
DaveP said:
Handled correctly and with forethought about lithium cell safety lithium cells don't present a danger. It's when they are allowed to come in contact with metal across the terminals that they become dangerous. They are definitely something to be respected and handled safely.
Lithium ion batteries are POWERFUL. Knowledge is POWER. The lack of knowledge is DANGEROUS. RESPECT the power that is lithium ion batteries and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
It is scary if you are careless.
th
th

th

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
I hope his true dumb thing i did keeps someone else from doing the same thing or maybe 1or more has done the same thing..i dunno ! .... When I purchased my other mod. it is an aspire zelos I put it on the shelf & didn't do anything more with it until 1 day I opened the box & I said self lets put together 1 of the tanks I have & check this mod. out well I put the tank together & screwed it onto the 510 on the mod. & turned it on & I was messing around with the buttons on it or controls & before I knew it I smelled something burning which I for sure didn't think it was anything I was doing (I thought my neighbor was burning leaves or something outside) well I kept smelling it & I said ohhhh chit it's my tank or the 0.4 coil was burning, I didn't put any e liquid in the tank when I had put it on the mod. & u talk about scared as chit I was & quickly took that tank off & threw it outside, after awhile I went & got it & the coil was burnt almost to a crisp. I'll never ever do that again it scared the-mess-outta-me ! ... I know my mistake & what i did wrong which was really careless & knew better & to be more careful in the future.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have no idea why someone would start a thread in the section dedicated to ' tanks, clearomizers and drop in coils ' when having questions about mechanical & RBA use.
Clearly stating the OP intends to use an RDA which is a completely different method of vaping and has nothing to do with tanks, clearomizers and drop in coils.
That was my first question... why are they posting to this forum?
Second question... why do I get the idea the OP is an idiot?
Final thought... what the heck is so hard about understanding Ohm's Law? Only three things... voltage, resistance, and current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread