Mech vs Mech Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    I am underwhelmed with the performance of my mech mods. I have an rda with dual coil, 24 g, 6 wraps each, 3 mm ID. I get better performance if I throw this rda on a regulated box at 55 watts. Would a mech box give me the performance I am looking for? They allow you to build at lower resistances than a single 18650 mech, correct? Should I just stick with regulated mods for my RDAs?

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 19, 2013
    Sinking Spring, PA, USA
    I assume you mean a dual 18650 mech box...

Dual mech will allow you to make lower resistance builds, but there are other advantages.
    One is battery life. Since the load is shared between two batteries, you'll get more vape time.
    Also, since the load is shared, the voltage drop/sag is dramatically reduced. Ramp up time will be much quicker with duals.

Can't tell you if you should stick to regulated mods. Only way to know is for you to try it:D

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    I get better performance if I throw this RDA on a regulated box at 55 watts.
    You are pulling only 40W-50W (assuming a 0.3 build). A regulated box at 55W would ramp faster and hit harder with greater consistency.

Would a mech box give me the performance I am looking for?
    It would hit slightly harder than a single-cell mech (a handful of extra watts owing to reduced sag), but may not satisfy you either.

They allow you to build at lower resistances than a single 18650 mech, correct?
    That is the key. For example, going dual 22g KA1 6 wrap @ 0.2 would give you 60W-80W of power. Or move to Ni80 or Ti1.

Last edited:

Smellybelly

Sep 29, 2015
    Your not giving a lot of info though. I mean what's the mech mod your using is it a clone? What's the resistance of the build. I'm guessing around .25 to .3 ohms but its your build so I don't know exactly. What batteries are you using. Some more info could help explain why your not getting the performance out of it.

I havery a vanilla clone and the contacts weren't flat so I lapped them using high grit sandpaper and now that they're flat and I have a good battery and build on it. The performance is awesome. I'm probably getting about 90 watts out of the build. I compared it to my snow wolf set at 90 watts and it feels about the same.

Of course a dual battery mech will give you more power than a single.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Note that there's a huge difference between parallel and series boxes. With the former the amp load is shared between the batteries and you can build lower, with latter the amp load isn't shared and the voltage is doubled so you must build higher.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
    Oct 17, 2015
    With a mech mod, the coil build is key to performance. KenD is spot on with his advice regarding mech boxes.

The alternate is to build low and use a 26650 mech mod. They are not as big as a mech box but hit harder than a single 18650 mech mod and the battery lasts much longer.

In my opinion, if you like mech boxes then consider going with a vw mech box the DNA 200s are much smaller in comparison but you are paying more for the box, but will be getting a more consistent vape for the duration of the battery life.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
    Oct 17, 2015
    My Scorpion x mod is a beast, but still fits in the palm of my hand.
    image.jpg

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    The alternate is to build low and use a 26650 mech mod. They are not as big as a mech box but hit harder than a single 18650 mech mod and the battery lasts much longer.
    Thanks, man! A 26650 looks like it's just what I need. It's an upgrade from the 18650 mechs I have, but not too much as a mech box would be. Do you recommend the 26650 Trinity - Alumibronze? It's $49.95 at my local B&M.

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    26650 mechs have higher capacity(mah) so lasts longer, but also have higher internal battery resistance, meaning it hits slightly lower... I read once one here stating e.g. a 0.2 build on a 18650 vtc4 would run at about 3.7v, and with a good 26650 cell at about 3.6 because of that internal resistance difference... Not really much of a difference per say, but just at least dosen't hit harder, just longer...

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    26650 mechs have higher capacity(mah) so lasts longer, but also have higher internal battery resistance, meaning it hits slightly lower... I read once one here stating e.g. a 0.2 build on a 18650 vtc4 would run at about 3.7v, and with a good 26650 cell at about 3.6 because of that internal resistance difference... Not really much of a difference per say, but just at least dosen't hit harder, just longer...
    That sucks. I guess I read false info in a thread saying they could go as low as .1 ohms. :(
    There is an Efest 26650 battery rated for 64 amps. Doesn't that indicate it can be built lower than an 18650?

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    I don't know the general amp limit on 26650 cells, sorry, but you probably can... I just meant they don't hit harder for the same load...

And for the record, you can also do that on select 18650 cells if wanted; e.g. the samsung 25r support 50amps at 5sec pulses, 30 sec breaks, and 100amps in 1sec pulses according to the producer... Not that I recommend pushing 50amps through it though!

Last edited:

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    I don't know the general amp limit on 26650 cells, sorry, but you probably can... I just meant they don't hit harder for the same load...

And for the record, you can also do that on select 18650 cells if wanted; e.g. the samsung 25r support 50amps at 5sec pulses, 30 sec breaks, and 100amps in 1sec pulses according to the producer... Not that I recommend pushing 50amps through it though!
    Okay cool! So now I'm excited again. They have a Panzer for $20. Would that be a better beginner's 26650 than the Trinity?

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Apalachicola, FL, United States
    There is an Efest 26650 battery rated for 64 amps. Doesn't that indicate it can be built lower than an 18650?

Maybe just my opinion, but pulse ratings shouldn't really be considered the safe current rating for a battery. Much safer to run based on continuous discharge ratings. The MNKE 26650 allows builds down conservatively to 0.4 ohm; supposedly the Sony 26650VT is good to 0.1 ohm. Also, battery diameter has little effect on current ratings, some 26650's have higher discharge ratings than some 18650's, and vice-versa.

For a super solid and economical set up look at the Cartel Boss mod clone. I have one I run with a Magma 30 mM RDA, a Fat Buddha 30 mM RDA, and a Big Buddha 30 mM RTA. All run nice on the Boss mod.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread