Question: Is it good to rock a mech mod with a single coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Although perhaps executed in the wrong way, I applaud the OP for posing the question. It shows they have concerns and would like to know what is best. I always thought one of the benefits of these forums was to seek advice from more experienced users. Does that make a person an idiot?

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
What's the difference between a kick @$$ mech mod and a regular mech mod ?
Or is it called 'kick @$$' ?
Your question makes me worried about your knowledge - why would you think it wouldn't be safe to use a single coil ?
What makes you believe that it will be powerful ? - the device will output 4.2v on a fully charged battery rapidly tapering off as it is used.

I've used mechs for a while (before the advent of devices that have made mechanical devices all-but obsolete) and i can assure you that running one with a 3 ohm coil doesn't feel particularly 'powerful'.
My advice to you would be - always remember the 3 E's - Education, education & education.
Wow, what a .....y comment, I was trying to be friendly and upbeat with the whole 'kick @$$' thing, make it more fun and playful, but you had to go and just be a dick about it.
Look, the reason I'm here is to gain 'education, education, education', I ask questions here like this one to gain a better understanding of what my vape knowledge is, and I'm sorry that it worries you so, but if this is the caliber of non-helpful and just down right nasty comments is all you have to offer, please, do me a favor and refrain from commenting on any of my future threads.
Seriously, I'm here to have fun and learn from all these eloquent and helpful people, not to be judged by the likes of you and be pulled into your drama.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
That was my first question... why are they posting to this forum?
Second question... why do I get the idea the OP is an idiot?
Final thought... what the heck is so hard about understanding Ohm's Law? Only three things... voltage, resistance, and current.
OP?
Is that me?
I'm new to these forums and don't know the lingo

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Bad, Eskie, Somd, Elvis, DaveP.....

InBeforeTheLock1105.jpg

Reactions: DaveP

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
OP?
Is that me?
I'm new to these forums and don't know the lingo

Yeah that's you, Original Poster! Now me, I have an issue with that in the sense that I try to compare this to a real life conversation. Feels odd to suddenly instead of talking to someone there, start talking about the person that initiated the conversation:D

Perfectly safe to use single coils on a mech. Just use a coil over 0.4 ohms and over 4 wraps for safety (make it 0.5 and 5 if you want, just an arbitrary number well above the dangerous 0.1) and check your build on a (regulated mod with) ohm meter.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Wow, what a .....y comment, I was trying to be friendly and upbeat with the whole 'kick @$$' thing, make it more fun and playful, but you had to go and just be a dick about it.....

And yet you didn't answer any of the questions.
Using the term 'kick @$$' is meaningless unless you qualify why you believe a device is other than normal.
Using any coil - be it single, dual or quad is wholly dependent on the total resistance and the type of battery being used. What coil were you suggesting ? What battery ?
'Powerful', in the context of your post, means what ?

It's a shame you found my post confrontational and felt you needed to respond in such an uncouth way. Most people who use this site would caution you against using a mechanical device unless you were fully conversant with battery safety and Ohms law. Your initial post suggested (rightly or wrongly) that your knowledge base was minimal.
My response was designed to encourage feedback - just not the sort that happened. Bye.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Wow, what a .....y comment, I was trying to be friendly and upbeat with the whole 'kick @$$' thing, make it more fun and playful, but you had to go and just be a dick about it.
Look, the reason I'm here is to gain 'education, education, education', I ask questions here like this one to gain a better understanding of what my vape knowledge is, and I'm sorry that it worries you so, but if this is the caliber of non-helpful and just down right nasty comments is all you have to offer, please, do me a favor and refrain from commenting on any of my future threads.
Seriously, I'm here to have fun and learn from all these eloquent and helpful people, not to be judged by the likes of you and be pulled into your drama.

Yes, OP = original poster / the person that started the thread.

We can't guess what information you need to use a mechanical & RDA setup safely, without your input. That means answering the questions you are asked.

When someone uses terms about mechanicals such as " pumps out the power like no mans business " those with experience automatically know the person asking has very little to no understanding of the in's & out's of mechanical usage or is trying to be funny/silly.
Considering mechanicals can become dangerous in the blink of an eye with no warning in the hands of the inexperienced or uninformed seems the better way to respond is to err on the side of caution even if that means it might be interpreted as rude or condescending.

When a person starts a thread in a sub forum completely unrelated to the questions & advice he or she seeks it furthers the impression the OP has little to no understanding or knowledge on the topic.
The above statement isn't meant to be judgmental, rude or unhelpful in any way.
An analogy would be;
Asking a tire salesman behind the counter of a tire shop questions about how best to construct, maintain & grow a vegetable garden.
Then getting flustered/irritated about the questions, answers & reactions you receive.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
RaisedFist, A mech mod is able to provide power equal to that of a regulated mod. There's nothing magic in a mech mod. Trying to vape at high wattage without the electronic protection of a regulated mod is a recipe for disaster. You can quickly exceed the current (amp) limit of a cell without knowing you did so. A single 18650 pushing a .1 ohm coil on a fully charged cell can create 176 watts, but you'll be pushing that single cell to 42 amps. That's pretty much a guaranteed battery failure that results in severe burns to the hand if you are lucky. If it explodes violently, you could lose parts of your anatomy, especially if it's in front of your face during a vape.

Be careful and learn about Ohm's Law before using a mech mod. Baditude's Blog is a good place to start. Ask around in ECF forums for some suggestions about regulated mods that would be best for your vaping style.

(14) Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers | E-Cigarette Forum

Ohms Law Calculator

Last edited:

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
Ironically (perhaps), I use mechs exclusively because I don't need much power. I use a single coil @ 1.0 ohms in my RTA, using a 25 amp battery. It draws about 4.2 amps and puts out a whopping 17-18 watts lol. Many have said already what needs to be said and read and understood about battery safety and mechs.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Please get over it and tell us some details... maybe we can help without criticizing. Normally people here are friendly and very helpful. You kinda set yourself up for some of the responses (can't we all just get along?) I am trying to apologoze... my bad for using that word... even others reminded me that was wrong.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
upload_2019-8-15_13-23-30.png

Boy u all sure make it scary with the battery talk & the ohms' law stuff (which I don't think I'll ever understand it but im trying) it makes me not want to vape on a mod. or any battery device. I guess I haven't heard about what all can happen with any type battery !

U tryin'hard to give me night-mares hun !! ..... But u have gotten the point-across ....after the 1st gorry-pics !!! ... ty tho !

I'm going to write & tell u a dumb really dumb thing I did & it was I admit a truly careless thing I did !

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Please get over it and tell us some details... maybe we can help without criticizing. Normally people here are friendly and very helpful. You kinda set yourself up for some of the responses (can't we all just get along?) I am trying to apologoze... my bad for using that word... even others reminded me that was wrong.

I am that other! And I applaud you for apologizing – honestly! But what extra details are needed? The OP asked a specific question…he received his answer, several times! Along with a ton of extra information for him to consume should he choose to do so. Do we really need to know what his kick @$$ mech is?

Perhaps he was misinformed by the many so called elitist experts in this industry about the power output on a mech – but I think his error has been set straight!

This dead horse has been flogged enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread