Question: Is it good to rock a mech mod with a single coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
He has a point actually.For a nurse she gets frightened too easy.
Having a battery potentially explode in your hand or face is something to be frightened of, don't you think? Especially if your only experience with batteries was in a TV remote control. Tough crowd. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
He has a point actually.For a nurse she gets frightened too easy.

Frightened by what? Injury by something that is deemed safe? Perhaps not a correct correlation, but given I am a fan of Formula 1, Ayrton Senna was frightened by the death of Roland Ratzenberger – so much so he did not want to race the San Marino GP – Senna crashed and died the next day. An F1 racer who understands the risks but yet is still scared to carry out his job due to a tragedy

I agree with @Baditude – through out our life we are conditioned to trust batteries. Who thinks twice about the batteries we use in our TV remote, or or other electronics? We don’t! But yet we NEED to pay attention to this vape device to ensure we are using it in a safe manor. There is a disconnect there – and without being properly educated we will never understand it

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Having a battery potentially explode in your hand or face is something to be frightened of, don't you think? Especially if your only experience with batteries was in a TV remote control. Tough crowd. :rolleyes:
Fear springs from ignorance, and fear makes people believe the worst. Batteries are not to be feared, but respected and understood. But we could be arguing semantics.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Boy u all sure make it scary with the battery talk & the ohms' law stuff (which I don't think I'll ever understand it but im trying) it makes me not want to vape on a mod. or any battery device. I guess I haven't heard about what all can happen with any type battery !

Lithium ion batteries are POWERFUL. Knowledge is POWER. The lack of knowledge is DANGEROUS. RESPECT the power that is lithium ion batteries and you'll be fine.

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Wow ... ty for the info ... I started watching ur video but I got lost in it after afew minutes ... but I see what ur saying & I just always thought the safer batteries were the ones built in guess I'm big-time wrong but I don't like the devices either that u have to put them in urself. So I dunno ... most of the devices I have are built in my vaporesso luxe nano mod. & I have an aspire zelos mod. & the rest of my devices are refillable pod devices. So i guess the next device I purchase I'll have to choose more wisely ...unless I wanna blow-up or catch-on-fire !
You need to be comfortable using whichever type of battery device you choose. If you're more comfortable using an internal battery mod, then use that.

But you can choose to educate yourself on the removeable batteries. They are a safeR battery, but you still need to use safe battery practices when using them because there are no "safe" batteries.

There are pro's and con's to each type. Internal Battery (Lipo) or External Batteries (18650)? Which type is right for you?

lipo-or-18650_large.jpg

I use both internal battery (not removeable) mods and external battery (removeable) mods. My preference is to use removeable batteries because I can pick and choose which model best fits my style of vaping from their battery specifications (amp rating and mAh rating). You can't do that with internal battery mods, because the manufacturer does the picking.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Ohhh yes i agree the education on most anything or even a little bit of it is better than not knowing about anything or something at all ! .... Ty both for some knowledge I received today !

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Fear springs from ignorance, and fear makes people believe the worst. Batteries are not to be feared, but respected and understood. But we could be arguing semantics.
See above two posts.
@vicsch admits her lack of knowledge on batteries, but seems willing to educate herself to gain knowledge and to gain respect and have less fear about batteries. I think we were all a bit like her at one point in time.

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'm a mechanic (and very into electronics) I learned a hard lesson about car batteries: always disconnect the Negative side first! Why? Because if you start with the positive side and your wrench accidentally touches anything metal 9ground) it will arc and actually weld itself to the metal! Lesson learned :shock:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
:thumb:

Just one of many... >

You made me get up and go check my 9v/AA/AAA and Nicad drawer. All cells are secured and the 9v's are either in factory packaging or have the plastic snap top insulators in place. Loose Nicad AA and AAA are in zip locks. :smokie:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I'm a mechanic (and very into electronics) I learned a hard lesson about car batteries: always disconnect the Negative side first! Why? Because if you start with the positive side and your wrench accidentally touches anything metal 9ground) it will arc and actually weld itself to the metal! Lesson learned :shock:
That's a lesson you will learn very quickly and will only make that mistake once. I'm also a journeyman mech.

• Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Don't forget to examine your batteries for knicks and tears. This goes for all batteries including ones in regulated devices! Diligence is required.

Ironically, the only batteries that I've never had to re-wrap are my oldest and the hardest pushed. Freaking Orbtronic 18650s. I don't know what kind of wraps they use but they hold up for years.

The LG brownies, as much as I like using them, are terrible. I usually have to re-wrap those within a few months.

They mysteries of vape continue...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ironically, the only batteries that I've never had to re-wrap are my oldest and the hardest pushed. Freaking Orbtronic 18650s. I don't know what kind of wraps they use but they hold up for years.

The LG brownies, as much as I like using them, are terrible. I usually have to re-wrap those within a few months.

They mysteries of vape continue...
The Orbtronics are rewraps. The Lg, Sony, and Samsung are original cells never meant to be used outside of a battery pack, so they weren't concerned about the durability of the wrap they used.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
OP I am very sorry for the hostile environment you came across.
Let's make a new start.Can you provide a link for this mechanical mod you are about to purchase?
Hey, was nice of you to say that, it was appreciated, here is the mech mod that I'm getting, and I class myself as an intermediate when it comes to these things, but I was just trying to have some fun with words and be playful, I never realized that it would have this reaction and effect. :(
Tauren Mod - Powered by Thunderhead Creations

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Hey, was nice of you to say that, it was appreciated, here is the mech mod that I'm getting, and I class myself as an intermediate when it comes to these things, but I was just trying to have some fun with words and be playful, I never realized that it would have this reaction and effect. :(
Tauren Mod - Powered by Thunderhead Creations
May I ask what draws you to that particular mod? I could think of a few features I'd want on a first mech that this doesn't have. A center pin 510, and a licking switch might be nice, for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread