Question: Is it good to rock a mech mod with a single coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
May I ask what draws you to that particular mod? I could think of a few features I'd want on a first mech that this doesn't have. A center pin 510, and a licking switch might be nice, for starters.
Oh, that's not actually my first mech mod, the Bonza mech mod was:
Bonza Mech Mod Kit
And to be honest, I just love the look of it, and I found the innovative firing button design just something I really liked, something short of genius.
But the Bonza mech mod has some real downsides to it, which is why I wanted to get a better one, one I can actually carry in my pocket safely, so I chose the Tauren, it looked safe and dependable.
And it's already been bought, I'm just waiting till it arrives on the 29th.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Oh, that's not actually my first mech mod, the Bonza mech mod was:
Bonza Mech Mod Kit
And to be honest, I just love the look of it, and I found the innovative firing button design just something I really liked, something short of genius.
But the Bonza mech mod has some real downsides to it, which is why I wanted to get a better one, one I can actually carry in my pocket safely, so I chose the Tauren, it looked safe and dependable.
May I ask what makes the Tauren a safer pocket friendly Mech?
I, personally do not pocket any of my Mechs for the possibility that anything could activate it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ShowMeTwice

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
The Orbtronics are rewraps. The Lg, Sony, and Samsung are original cells never meant to be used outside of a battery pack, so they weren't concerned about the durability of the wrap they used.

That make sense. I knew they were re-wraps (Panasonics, I believe?), but never thought about the other aspect. My pink Sammies don't seem to have the same issue as the LGs, nor have any of the other batteries I've ever used. The brownies are uniquely thin (to me), but I don't mind because I have a boatload of wraps (surprise, surprise).

Thanks, Bad. Insight is always a good thing. :):thumb:

But shame on you for making me use my brain this early on a Friday morning. ;)

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
I, personally do not pocket any of my Mechs for the possibility that anything could activate it.

Well, I'm saying safer than my Bonza, I've had the trigger come unscrewed a couple of times and make contact with the battery in a constant connection.
Luckily both times I was at my desk, but it scared me.
The Tauren's trigger just looks a lot safer to me, as in that won't happen.

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
See above two posts.
@vicsch admits her lack of knowledge on batteries, but seems willing to educate herself to gain knowledge and to gain respect and have less fear about batteries. I think we were all a bit like her at one point in time.
ty for that reply ..Baditude & u did give me grr8 in-site ..& ..Yes we did get carried away in the forum area, but that's where the topic of the conversation started about the batteries in 1st place !

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
May I ask what draws you to that particular mod? I could think of a few features I'd want on a first mech that this doesn't have. A center pin 510, and a locking switch might be nice, for starters.

I just love the look of it, and I found the innovative firing button design just something I really liked, something short of genius.

Well, I'm saying safer than my Bonza, I've had the trigger come unscrewed a couple of times and make contact with the battery in a constant connection.
Looks can be deceiving. I'm don't see how the Tauren's trigger is any safer than the Bonza's.

Arguably, the most important safety feature of a mech is ventilation holes. Ideally they should be located in the position where the positive end of the battery is, because batteries are designed to vent at the positive end. At the very least, any venting is better than none at all; otherwise the sealed metal tube becomes a pipe bomb if a battery vents.

68706802_2576686059264208_4178669039142305792_n.jpg

Ideal location for vent holes
I see no vent holes in the tube. No vent holes or vent space in the fire button. The fire button protrudes outward past the body tube, and unless you can manually lock the fire button the potential for an inadvertant firing of the switch appears to be a possibility.

22d215eb591bb3839b060f151f4d1052.jpg

The product description for this model shows the above two fire buttons. The one on the left shows what appears to be some vent holes on a protruding fire button. The pic on the right shows a fire button that is not protruding (flush), but it has no vent holes.

From a safety perspective, this looks like a poorly designed mod.

Last edited:

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    Talking about the Tauren Max? I want one of those white ones. Nice mech.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    All I can say 'bout that is Wow unreal, but can & does apparently happen !

A co-worker and I teamed up on a call in a customer's office once and his voltmeter battery had died. He took a new 9v Energizer from a package of two and tossed the other (new) one in his briefcase style tool case. A few minutes later we noticed smoke coming from the the tool case. He reached in and grabbed the 9v cell and received a nasty blister in a couple of seconds!

That was years before 9v batteries started being shipped with plastic snap on contact shields. A shorted 9V battery can produce enough heat to sear skin! His was wedged with the contacts shorted against a small wrench in the tool case.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Looks can be deceiving. I'm don't see how the Tauren's trigger is any safer than the Bonza's.

Arguably, the most important safety feature of a mech is ventilation holes. Ideally they should be located in the position where the positive end of the battery is, because batteries are designed to vent at the positive end. At the very least, any venting is better than none at all; otherwise the sealed metal tube becomes a pipe bomb if a battery vents.

I see no vent holes in the tube. No vent holes or vent space in the fire button. The fire button protrudes outward past the body tube, and unless you can manually lock the fire button the potential for an inadvertant firing of the switch appears to be a possibility.

The product description for this model shows the above two fire buttons. The one on the left shows what appears to be some vent holes on a protruding fire button. The pic on the right shows a fire button that is not protruding (flush), but it has no vent holes.

Abosolutly. I'd be a hypocrite if I said MY mech had a locking switch, or a 510 pin, but it does have massive venting, and I NEVER put it in my pocket with a battery.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2018
    Athens,Greece
    here is the mech mod that I'm getting, and I class myself as an intermediate when it comes to these things, but I was just trying to have some fun with words and be playful, I never realized that it would have this reaction and effect. :(
    Tauren Mod - Powered by Thunderhead Creations

Oh, that's not actually my first mech mod, the Bonza mech mod was
    Okey,so you are into hybrids.You probably know that but let me mention that they require atomizers with protruding 510 pin (rta/rda/rdta).Never put a sub ohm tank onto them.

What resistance do you run with your Bonza mech?
    What battery?(Model/Size).
    What alloy are the coils?

• Agree
    Reactions: HigherStateD

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    Okey,so you are into hybrids.You probably know that but let me mention that they require atomizers with protruding 510 pin (rta/rda/rdta).Never put a sub ohm tank onto them.

What resistance do you run with your Bonza mech?
    What battery?(Model/Size).
    What alloy are the coils?
    I am a hybrid fan, always with the protuding 510 pin.
    I run a 0.3ohm coil.
    I only ever use 20700's and 21700's, I have 2 Golisi 21700's S35's, 3.7V, 3750mAh, 30A, a Sanyo T40 21700's, 4000mAh, 45A, 2 Sanyo 20700B's, 3.7V, 4250mAh, 15A and an iJoy 20700, 3.7V, 3000mAh, 40A.
    I use them in various mods, but the Bonza only gets powered by the Golisi's and the Sanyo T40.
    And I use Ni80 for everything, I find it the easiest to build with and like the ramp up time.
    :vapor:

greek mule

Unresolved Status
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2018
    Athens,Greece
    I am a hybrid fan, always with the protuding 510 pin.
    I run a 0.3ohm coil.
    I only ever use 20700's and 21700's, I have 2 Golisi 21700's S35's, 3.7V, 3750mAh, 30A, a Sanyo T40 21700's, 4000mAh, 45A, 2 Sanyo 20700B's, 3.7V, 4250mAh, 15A and an iJoy 20700, 3.7V, 3000mAh, 40A.
    I use them in various mods, but the Bonza only gets powered by the Golisi's and the Sanyo T40.
    And I use Ni80 for everything, I find it the easiest to build with and like the ramp up time.
    :vapor:
    To find the real CDR of batteries check this list List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    So, I'm getting a kick @$$ mech mod at the end of the month and I'm also getting a RDA that takes single and dual coil builds.
    My question is this, is it advisable to put a single coil build on a mech mod, seeing they just pump out the power like no man's business?

The Tauren is a very nice looking mod @RaisedFist :thumb:

My preferred RDA builds on mech mods were dual coils for the first couple of years I used mechanicals. I ran them generally at 0.3 - 0.4 ohms, so on average between 30 - 40 watts. I found at those power levels for me I got a better vape with duals than with single coils. The people who were vaping at higher watts were also using dual coils.

Then I bought a Reo Grand squonker, a bottom feed mod with a bottom fed RDA on it, switched to a single coil at the same resistance and loved it. It was and still is a really good vape :) , th. About that time I also found a nice triple coil RDA for my tube mechs and that was also really good, though I eventually left that behind. Setting up three coils turned out to just not be worth it for me.

These days I vape almost exclusively regulated mods with single coil RTAs on them.

I don't know what RDA you are getting, but I would start out with a dual coil build in it. I suggest you get that to vape well for you, then vape it for a while and once you have a good feel for how it performs, experiment. Wire and cotton is cheap and you'll only know what works best for you after you've tried it. The Steam Engine coil building calculator is a great resource for build design, it has helped me a lot over the years and I still use it for my regulated mod builds.

Vape safe and best of luck with the new mod!

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
    Feb 24, 2018
    Brisbane, AU

68706802_2576686059264208_4178669039142305792_n.jpg

Ideal location for vent holes

Well said....also.....not a fan of Tauren's switch design. I noticed they haven't changed it.

Tauren and the auto-firing debacle

• Agree
    Reactions: greek mule
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread