Question regarding long term E juice storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal Vapist

Nov 21, 2020
Hi,

I just bought a litre of 100mg/ml unflavoured PG E juice.

I calculated that if it doesn't go off it should last me 10 years. It came in a sealed plastic bottle.

I bought a dark amber glass bottle (which I have sterilized) to put it in but I was wondering if it would be better to leave it in the original sealed plastic bottle rather than breaking the seal to put it in the glass bottle? I took the lid off and it has a proper seal over the rim of the bottle like a Gatorade.

Also the glass bottle I bought came with a plastic lid but I doubt it will be 100% airtight.

Thanks for your advice, any other tips would be much appreciated.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    For long-term storage you should use glass and keep in the freezer.

Vapers typically use brown boston round glass bottles with a phenolic cone cap. The cone in the cap wedges into the bottle and creates a decent seal, sort of like a cork. It's not 100% air-tight, of course, but better than a regular gasketed cap.

If all you're storing is 1 liter then it may be best to use small bottles than one big bottle. Probably 4 ounce or even 2 ounce bottles. Just made sure you buy the right size cape for whatever size bottle you decide on.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi,

I calculated that if it doesn't go off it should last me 10 years. It came in a sealed plastic bottle.

I bought a dark amber glass bottle (which I have sterilized) to put it in but I was wondering if it would be better to leave it in the original sealed plastic bottle rather than breaking the seal to put it in the glass bottle? I took the lid off and it has a proper seal over the rim of the bottle like a Gatorade.

Also the glass bottle I bought came with a plastic lid but I doubt it will be 100% airtight.

@UncleJunkle nailed it :cool:. Glass bottle(s), a good seal and use smaller bottles. I have a little over a liter here and use 1/2 liter glass bottles for what fills each of them to within about 1/2 inch from the top, with the rest in 125 ml bottles. When I open a 500 ml bottle the first time, my 4 125 ml glass bottles are empty and I decant the whole 1/2 liter into them, filling them. This way I'm not opening the 1/2 liter bottles many times, and after a while leaving a large air space on the top. I also decant from the 125 ml bottles into little 25 ml glass bottles.

The nic base I'm using now is at least three years old and as far as I can tell it vapes just as good as the day I bought it and has no discoloration I can see. I am using the ordinary white bottle caps that came with my bottles and it has all been living in my fridge freezer.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Agree, and IMO fill those smaller bottles all the way to the top with as little air trapped in them as possible.
    I like to keep a little bit of head-space. PG or VG based liquids won't freeze solid at any temperature achievable in a residential freezer, nor will they expand with decreasing temperature, but I still want a little bit of room for expansion. Say you bottle the stuff in a 68°F room in the winter, and then you have a power-outage when it's 95°F in the middle of summer. Under these circumstances the liquid will expand and cause an astronomical rise in pressure if there's no head space at all. Hence my preference is to fill them to the base of the neck.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    My 100mg nic lives in the freezer in the box my Boston Rounds bottles were shipped in. As I fill them, I put them back in the box, so there's empty and full bottles in the fridge at any given time. My working nic bottle goes back in the box in the fridge after a DIY session.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hi,

The preferred Long Term Storage method is a Boston Round Glass Bottle with a Polycone Cap.

F36658~p.eps-650.jpg

They work MUCH Better than the Wafer Style Foam Disk to seals that come in most caps.

You should also make a Label that looks something like this...

Nicotine 100mg/ml in 100% PG Solution
    OEM:_____________________
    Date of Purchase:__________

You can Print Labels using something like a Avery Label. Or from a TXT Document. Or even a Clear Handwritten Label is fine. Just be sure to cover the Label with Clear Packing Tape and it should be fine.

Animal Vapist

Nov 21, 2020
    Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated.

I've already got the amber glass bottles with the crappy lids that I have sterilized, do you think i should just use them and store them in a tub in my freezer or would it be worth waiting a month for shipping and get one of those Boston bottles?

If so, can someone recommend a place to purchase them?

I was just going to store them in my garage but I'll put them in the freezer after reading this.

Thanks again!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated.

I've already got the amber glass bottles with the crappy lids that I have sterilized, do you think i should just use them and store them in a tub in my freezer or would it be worth waiting a month for shipping and get one of those Boston bottles?

If so, can someone recommend a place to purchase them?

I was just going to store them in my garage but I'll put them in the freezer after reading this.

Thanks again!

If I was doing it, I would go with New 4oz (120ml) Bottles with Polycone Caps.

I have bought from this company before. And they Ship Quick and their stuff always came in One Piece.

4 oz. Amber Boston Round with Black Cone Lined Cap (22/400) (V4) (V3)

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    The last batch i took from the freezer (stored in original 1 litre plastic bottle) was dated 2014 and was as clear as the day it arrived.... But it stank like an old ashtray filled with petrol (gas to you lot)..
    Tasted fine though once diluted down to vapable strength.
    I don't know if there's a lesson to be learnt from that anecdote - make of it what you will. o_O

Max Power

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2009
    Hi,

I really don't know, however I buy my nic from Carolina Xtraction Technologies and they address this on their faq page --> https://www.carolinaxtract.com/cxtc-faq

Should I store Nicotine Products in the freezer?
    IF you know that your freezer will maintain temperature below 30F or -1C, then yes. Otherwise, no. Damage can occur to100MG/ML nicotine products when oxides form during near-freeze/thaw cycles caused by temperature fluctuations of some freezer units (but not all). Such fluctuations are typically caused by opening the freezer door and outside weather affecting the efficiency of the unit. Typical refrigeration temperatures, or even room temperatures are a much safer storage range because they are well away from freeze/thaw potential.

I store mine in a clear bottle that I vacuum seal with a food saver vacuum and store in my refrigerator. Hope this helps, thanks.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I have a dozen unused brown glass Boston Rounds, but I use clear Boston Rounds instead. I like to check for color change from time to time and clear glass makes it easy. I keep all my nic bottles in sealed cardboard boxes to protect from light intrusion.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hi guys, I got the bottles you suggested from Glass Bottle Outlet.

Just a quick question, should I clean them before use? They already appear to be clean and I'm worried that if I clean and dry them they will end up dirtier and more contaminated.

What do you think?

Thanks

I'd give them a Quick Warm Water Rinse.

Or you could put them Alone on a Prong in your Dishwasher and do a Quick Cycle.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Just a quick question, should I clean them before use? They already appear to be clean and I'm worried that if I clean and dry them they will end up dirtier and more contaminated.

What do you think?

Thanks

When you buy plates, bowls, glasses, utensils, etc at the store, do you wash them first before you use them?

Reactions: stols001

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I order mine in dark glass bottles. They remain there until I need one. At that point I pour a 1 liter bottle out into 8 Boston Round 125ml bottles. I then refreeze all but one small one, and use them up before I open the next liter.

I also buy nic with no VG (I add the VG later). I don't know if that makes any difference.

My oldest nic is 6 or 7 years old, and is the one I'm currently vaping. If anything's wrong with it (or any of the ones I've used previously), I haven't noticed.

I have no idea if this is "correct", but it's been working for me for quite some time now.

I'm not an expert, just a vaper. :vapor:

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada

What do you think?

Thanks

I'd say wash. You have no idea what they might have on them from manufacturing, storage and transport. To me, dust, grease, oils or other chemicals seem a higher risk than the occasional germ (which probably can't grow in PG/VG and nicotine) you might pick up during a household wash.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread