Questions about iAtty - practical use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
It looks like I'm going to try out an iAtty (once they're available) but first I had some questions that I haven't seen answers to...

-When creating the coil, is there a method that will let me target a specific resistance? I'm nto as high powered as it sounds like many of you are. At 3 ohms, I'm usually running around 4.8-5.0 volts. I'd like to stick in that range - is there a trick to making sure a new coil will be that resistance?

-Many have experimented with wicks, but the 116 ceramic mesh looked best to me. Any updates with longer term use? Is this still a good choice?

-What's the long term reliability like? Are there any replacement parts I should keep on hand? Ceramic cup? Plastic insulators?

-What are people using to connect the coil to the 0 resistance wire that runs down to connect to the power posts? Solder? ROHS compliant solder, or regular SN63? Something else?

-Any plans to make a body with a window to show the juice level? This seems like the ultimate in modular replacement, so (if you did come out with something) it would just replace the one part, wouldn't it? No need to buy a whole new setup?

Any information appreciated.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
When you make a coil best way to get the resistance you want is to measure it with a multimeter. Coil making videos can be found here. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/199864-iatty-assembling-video.html

For higher resistance coils it would probably be good to go with a smaller then stock heating wire but 3 ohms can be done with the stock heating wire.

I can't help with wick as both the stock with and the Nextel have to be cleaned/replaced every day for my juice apparently.

As for parts the ceramic cups can be scavaged from any Ce2 carto or you can buy them from COV. Imeo will be making more plastics but it is possible the stock plastics will last half of forever.

For connecting the wire I believe Para is soldering some people are using 1mm crimp beads and others like me use the twist method described in the coil making video.

I havn't heard anything about a clear body yet maybe Imeo can jump in on this one.

Hope this helped a little

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
-When creating the coil, is there a method that will let me target a specific resistance? I'm nto as high powered as it sounds like many of you are. At 3 ohms, I'm usually running around 4.8-5.0 volts. I'd like to stick in that range - is there a trick to making sure a new coil will be that resistance?

That's what I use and it's SWEEEEET. Other folks like 7v but that's way too harsh for me. After you make a few you know the length R wire to use. You get a feel for it. To achieve 3 - 3.5 ohm coils, get .13 and .16 mm wire. It creates 3 or 4 wraps which fits really well into the ceramic cup. If you use 116, which is incredible, you'll need to mod the ceramic cup so the wider wick will fit w/o tearing it. A simple task with a diamond wheel or drill.

If memory serves you like your Provari. The Iatty would be an awesome addition.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I love my ProVaris. I read where this can be a little airy on them, but also read about the o ring mod that cuts down on that. If I find I want more vapor and less air, I'll just get an o ring.

A word of caution......

Be VERY careful attaching the Iatty to any device because it's 510 connector is stainless steel and will chew up a PV receptacle if it gets cross threaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread