The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Iatty

Discussion in 'The GG' started by imeothanasis, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Poppa D

Poppa D Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    Minnesota, USA
    To go wick and coiless one would need to be able to suspend the liquid in mist form, while its in an atmosphere hot enough to vaporize it. Sort of like an automated rapid spark in a bic lighter. Just a thought.

2. lorderos33

lorderos33 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    FL
    That just like what I did right after the iAtty was released ;). It does work extremely well though.

Here's the how to post :)

3. Mac_206

Mac_206 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 23, 2011
    Seattle
    i learned from the best eh hem cough cough lorderos33 lol

4. lorderos33

Mar 6, 2011
    FL
    HAHAHAHAHA I don't think I am the best, I just like to tinker with mesh wicks ;)

5. rwechsler

rwechsler Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used your guide as well lord, and I couldn't be happier with my iAtty. Been vaping consistently for a full month now, with no signs of stopping! Only thing is instead of bending mesh like you show, what I do is I run a strand of kanthal through the hole in the mesh, and the bend it, so the channel doesn't collapse from a weird bend.

6. lorderos33

Mar 6, 2011
    FL
    I got alot of practice making bent wicks from the Scubagen V3 :). The idea for using mesh the iAtty came from mesh wick replacements in the CE-2. I thought it would be great to get it working in a top tier mod instead of a disposable atty and it worked out great :)

A nice trick for keeping the channel open during the bend is to roll it around a single strand of wire from a CAT-5 cable and then bend it with the wire still in. Once it's bent you can pull the wire and then oxidize. This is wick making trick from Scubabatdan :).

7. rwechsler

Nov 2, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah, wire from a CAT-5 cable is much thicker than the kanthal I used, good idea. I tend to roll much fatter wicks in my iAtty than in my Katana, but I think a wick with less mesh and a wider channel might actually wick better. If my current coil ever burns out, I'll give that a try.

8. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    Maybe there is no reason to remove the wire from inside the mesh roll lord?

9. rwechsler

Nov 2, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know what sort of compounds the cat5 wire is treated with, so I wouldn't suggest leaving it in. The kanthal works well because you can leave it installed while oxidizing the wick, and even all the way up to securing the coil in the iAtty.

10. lorderos33

Mar 6, 2011
    FL
    You definitely need to remove it. If the channel is blocked like that it will not wick very nicely.

11. lorderos33

Mar 6, 2011
    FL
    You are 100% correct, wicking is much better on a thinner mesh with a wider inside "channel".

12. rwechsler

Nov 2, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know if you've tried it yet, but Mac and Urq have both had tremendous success with wicks that are totally solid, as in no channel, just mesh. Supposed to act as a pretty considerable juice reservoir, and I'm assuming is excellent with pure PG juices.

13. lorderos33

Mar 6, 2011
    FL
    Yes, the added juice is good to have at the coil, but you have to get the juice there too. I've been playing with rolling wicks that are thick at the coil and thin in the tank. So far it has been working very nicely. I have this setup in my hybrid mini and it has been working amazingly well.

14. rwechsler

Nov 2, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Can I get a pic of it? I'm basically a total amateur when it comes to more creative mesh wicks. So far, it's just been trial and error until I got something setup that I was happy with. Been using the same katana wick for like 3 weeks now though, and I just did a fresh juice burn on it and tightened up the roll by putting a paper clip through the channel and rolling it in my fingers, and it's vaping beautifully right now with 3 wraps of 32g kanthal-A1. I'm still a little bit sick, so my lungs are more sensitive than usual, but this coil is HOT! Gotta try something similar in iAtty...

15. SuperSonic

SuperSonic Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2012
    U.S.A.
  16. SuperSonic

SuperSonic Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2012
    U.S.A.
    Not really sure of an exact process or blueprint... but I would imagine going on the premise of an over simplified version of how a fuel injection system combustion chamber in a fuel engine works .... or a simple glow plug design.... from those small scale model gas powered engines.

Just a thought. Basically air / fuel compression = combustion or ignition. The venturi (or the channels which create the vacuum effect in the air box - carburetor / injection unit) is the key to channeling the mixture for ignition.

Just an idea for premise purposes.

Peace-

17. imeothanasis

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    I see lord. So the mesh needs a hole to be feeded properly. I thought that it was wicking only via its small holes. Thanks for the info:)

18. bluegenzel

bluegenzel Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Germany
    I use in my Iatty a wick without hole and it feeds very well. Without hole it's much easier to do.

19. lorderos33

Mar 6, 2011
    FL
    Sure, no problem. I'll make one up later and snap a pic of the mesh used so you can see what I am talking about. It is essentially the shape of a short capital "T" where the tail of the T is just wide enough to go past the ceramic on both sides so there is still room to bend the wick.

20. imeothanasis

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    very nice that this works for you blue:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.