Questions regarding Voltage and ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmack00

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Texas
I'm seriously considering a buzzpro and intend on vaping in The 4.4 -5.0 range as that is apparently a sweet spot for many but I'm confused about the resistance carto's to use.

1. Ive seen a website that suggests a general rule is higher voltage with higher ohm and lower voltage with lower ohm carto's. Why? Is it concern over sending too much power through low resistance burning too hot and ruining the carto?

2. Can you describe the effects of ohm and voltage combinations and how they affect the vape experience? What's hotter or colder or creates more or less vapor?

3. I was using mega 1.7 single coil carto's for my riva, but then told the 1.7's are only for 3.7 to 4 volts. It was suggested to me that if I intend on vaping at 4 to 5 volts a 1.5 dual coil would work.. Doesn't that contradict if the resistance is lower and I'm using Higher voltage? Does it have to do with each coil being 3 ohm perhaps (honestly I don't know if each coil is 3 ohm)

Thanks!!!!!

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
The DC 1.5 ohm does have 2 3.0 ohm coils in parallel. So heat of a 3.0, but vapor and batt drain of a 1.5.

Your question #3 is correct, it does sound contradictory.

A good equation to know if for Power = watts.

watts = Volts*Volts/ohms where the Volts are "volts under load", meaning many batts regulate the voltage the coil actually gets. For example, the orginal 510 batt is technically a 3.7V batt, and might get as high as 4.2 fresh off the charger. But there is a regulator inside that sets the voltage to about 3.2 ohm, and this is the "voltage under load". The SE Riva does not regulate, so it can get as high as 4.2 V. Same with the KGO. Regular Riva is regulated to 3.2 V, I believe, as the eGo is.

With a single coil, watts are straight forward. If we assume a 2.0 ohm carto, then the Riva will vape at

watts = 3.2^2/2.0 = 5.1 W. We can think of it as heat and also batt drain, roughly. I like the heat and vapor of around 5-6 W myself.

With a dual coil, its a little trickier. We'll assume a 1.5 ohm DC carto, so two 3.0 ohm coils. EACH coil on the Riva is giving

watts = 3.2^2/3.0 = 3.4 W.

But there are two of these in parallel, so the total watts is 6.8 W. The HEAT will be of a single coil 3.4W, but the DRAIN will be that of a 6.8 W. If you vaped a single-coil 3.0 ohm carto on a fresh Riva batt, it will take some amount of time foor the batt to go dead. And you will get some amount of watts/heat from that coil. The dual coil with two 3.0 ohm coils will drain that batt in about 1/2 the time, but each coil will give the same amount of heat as the 3.0 ohm single coil.

If you had a 1.5 ohm single coil, you would drain the batt is the same time as a 1.5 ohm DC, but the heat would be 6.8W level, not 3.4W.

Hope this makes sense. My guess is you will want your VV to be at around 4V. 5V with a 1.5 ohm DC will not likely be too hot, but it will be LOTS of vapor. And there will be less chance of burning the filler than if you used a single-coil 1.5 ohm carto. This depends on how heat-resistant the filler is, and this varies some between makes, so keep an eye on that, of course.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
[My answer (composed offline when I didn't have Internet access and before seeing the above) overlaps Kurt's answer. Hopefully, between the two of us, this will all make sense.]

Vapers used to think entirely in terms of volts as determining the intensity (e.g., TH and vapor) of the vape, e.g., 3.2V eGo and 510 batteries, 3.7V Kr8 and mods, 5V and 6V mods, and now variable voltage. Then came the LR attys and cartos, which were perceived as delivering a "simulated 5V" experience. [LR = low-resistance, measured in ohms.]

In fact, what determines the intensity of the vape is the power (measured in watts) of the hardware ... and we all really should be thinking in those terms. Power is the result of the battery voltage and atomizer/cartomizer resistance (ohms), per this formula:

Watts = Volts X Volts / Ohms

So, the higher the volts, the higher the watts and the more intense the vape. Equally true, the lower the ohms, the the higher the watts and vape intensity. Many vapers consider 6-8 watts to be the "sweet spot." This is why 5V was so popular, particularly with 3+ ohm 801 and 901 atomizers. 5V X 5V / 3 ohms = 8.3 watts.

The popularity of the 3.2V eGo (and many other fat batts) gave rise to the explosion in use of LR attys and cartos. The standard resistance 2.3 ohm 510 atomizer on 3.2V yields only 4.5 watts. [I was always amazed at how much vapor was eked out of that fairly low power. For me, at least, it came at the cost of poor TH.]

One of the most popular cartomizers today is the Boge 2.0 ohm. But primarily for use on 3.7V batteries, where it yields 6.8 watts. On a 3.2V eGo, it's only 5.1 watts (which is sufficient for some vapers).

On 3.2V, that 1.7 ohm single coil you mentioned yields 6 watts. Thus its nickname: "The Resurrector." But if you try to use it at 4+V, you'd get over 9 watts of power: too intense for most of us. [You'd also get atty-damaging high amps current, a discussion of which is better left for another day ... and is explored briefly in this article.]

For vaping at 4.4 to 5V, you'll want to use standard resistance or HV cartomizers. [HV = high-voltage, i.e., intended for use on HV mods, but the cartos actually are high-resistance.] For example, a 2.3 ohm carto on 4.4V yields 8.4 watts: a very intense vape that you might enjoy. A 3.5 ohm HV carto on 5V yields 7.1 watts: very nice. And these days, there are many resistances between 2.3 and 3.5 ohms that are available.

Dual coil cartomizers are unique. Calling them 1.5 or 1.6 ohms really is misleading. They are two 3.2 ohm coils and perform well at a wide range of voltages. I enjoy them on my 3.7V batteries ... some vapers find them sufficient on 3.2V ... and others like them even at 5V. Because of that flexibility, they are super for use on a VV mod like the Buzz Pro. [I'm using them with great success on my Ego Boostered eGo.] You can tweak the voltage to just that intensity that is good for you ... and vary it depending on the e-liquid and time of day. [I crave higher intensity as the day wears on.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread