Quick DIY question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
Flavor percentages are the hardest thing for new dyi artist to get. There is no rule. Each flavor from each company is different. Also, you will use the same flavor in different ways at different percentages to achieve the results you want. Check the flavor threads for a starting point on each flavor. Use your sense of smell and taste to guide you. Also remember to start LOW and move up. It's easier to add than subtract.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm new to DIY so I bought a big bottle of ore mix 18mg nic. I see most people using TFA flavors recommending 1-7% but on mt baker vapor they suggest up to 30% for their flavors. It has me confused, can someone explain the difference?
Thanks.

DIY Flavorings come in a Varity of Concentrations. If one is Very Concentrated, 2 or 3% may be enough. But another Brand which is Less Concentrated might need 25%.

It's a Factor of How Strong you want you e-liquids Also. I like Strong, Bold Favors. For all but TPA and FlaorArt Tobacco flavors, I use between 10 and 15% Flavoring.

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
+1 to everything DeeDee1234 typed.

Also, more flavoring does not always mean more flavor. Thus the reasoning/subject for my first blog...

That's a hard concept to grasp,until you see it for yourself and start thing maybe you didn't add 5% more like you thought you did. Then you remember Hoosiers rule and you get it!

Do yourself a favor and read hooiser flavoring blogs.. Twice

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Also, more flavoring does not always mean more flavor. ...

This was something I had to learn the Hard Way. There does seem to be a Tipping Point where adding More Flavoring just induces a Strong Chemical Overtone. Not more Flavor.

I also have found that the Same thing can happen with Some Sweeteners.

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
This was something I had to learn the Hard Way. There does seem to be a Tipping Point where adding More Flavoring just induces a Strong Chemical Overtone. Not more Flavor.

I also have found that the Same thing can happen with Some Sweeteners.

Me too.. I keep adding strawberry, and more strawberry and more then what the heck! I thought I added more...fubar

Moogle

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Portland, OR
Also your vaping device has a lot to do with it. My Terminator-C has a lot clearer flavor than a Protank, both using silica. The Term-C uses ceramic (I don't know how it produces better flavor, it just does). I also picked up a Genesis style rebuildable atty (AGA-T2) and got some Stainless Steel mesh. I'm still working on getting the Genesis rebuild right, but the flavor, OMG. I also did a Stainless mesh wick on my Protank (Tatroe aftermarket tank/base) and the flavor is definitely clearer and I perceive a "dry" taste to silica and the flavor drops off rapidly compared to SS necessitating a dry burn almost daily. SS also seems to wick better (I haven't used Elkwool before). Something to think about with flavor I'm finding out is the delivery. Also 501 drip atty's have a bit clearer flavor.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Me too.. I keep adding strawberry, and more strawberry and more then what the heck! I thought I added more...fubar

Been There... Done That!

Also something that used to Hang me Up was being Too Impatient.

I would mix and then try it Immediately. It didn't taste right. So I would try an Fix It by adding this or Diluting with That. I didn't understand that a New Mix had to sit for awhile.

I Ruined more Mixes by trying to make them Taste Good and the Mixing Stage only to have them Change in a few days of (I hate this Word but it has become Ubiquitous) Steeping.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I'm new to DIY so I bought a big bottle of ore mix 18mg nic. I see most people using TFA flavors recommending 1-7% but on mt baker vapor they suggest up to 30% for their flavors. It has me confused, can someone explain the difference?
Thanks.

MBV @12.5% is strong in 18mg 70/30
I've mixed over 40 Mt Baker and Flavor West flavors so far
Mt Baker uses Flavor West at the same percentage

30% would taste nothing like their juice in 80/20 - 60/40

Not my opinion, just my experience

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Everything said here is very true. The same flavor from different Manufacturers are not the same. Percentage of flavor that one person likes may not be what you like and that's where the saying that is used here often "Taste is very subjective" comes from. The best advice that can be given is start with the minimum recommended percentage and work up. Many things effect taste (Percentage, steeping, NIC ratio, pg/vg ratio) So make sure you understand this. Start with 1 flavor and perfect it then move on to more complex mixes. It's important to get the basics down first.

Moogle

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Portland, OR
Here's a really handy thread to subscribe to as well http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/336110-flavor-apprentice-flavoring-thread.html When I get home from work tonight I am going to start sampling flavors I set up to steep in a craft container. Basically it has 30 small round plastic containers in a clear plastic box. I labeled them with some cheap labels I picked up at Office Max. I went off of the TFA flavor thread for percentages and just made up some 50/50 base and put 2 ml in each container then as accurately as possible added each flavor by percentage. This is the best method I can think of to take out all the variables. Also all our taste buds are different so 5% of a particular flavor might be the sweet spot for me but taste horrible to you.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Also how do you guys do %? What measuring containers Are must haves?

eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

I use 25ml, 50ml & 100ml plastic graduated cylinders (plastic is hydrophobic so juice doesn't stick as much).
Fosters & Smith Vet supply has inexpensive & excellent Monoject luer-lock syringes.
I mix right in the bottles. Blue or amber glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread