Quick sources for rayon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I finally ran out of rayon, took a long but I am out. I bought some cotton bacon at a vape store and it was awful, I have probably lost the proper technique for cotton since all I have used in years has been rayon. I hated the cotton bacon and never want to use it again.

I need to find some rayon before I end up buying some stinkies, I can't wait for any to be shipped to me.

What kind of places am I likely to find vapable rayon in a place that does not have a place like Sally's?

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Stuffing from a bottle of Spring Valley melatonin from WalMart (maybe), possibly others. What you think is cotton may actually be rayon...have to check fibers and do a burn test. I think it's supposed to smell like burning paper, as opposed to what burnt cotton smells like. Either way, you would probably want to thoroughly wash/clean first.

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I finally ran out of rayon, took a long but I am out. I bought some cotton bacon at a vape store and it was awful, I have probably lost the proper technique for cotton since all I have used in years has been rayon. I hated the cotton bacon and never want to use it again.

I need to find some rayon before I end up buying some stinkies, I can't wait for any to be shipped to me.

What kind of places am I likely to find vapable rayon in a place that does not have a place like Sally's?

Got Prime?

Cheers
I

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Tampon rayon is annoying. Frankly. First you have to FIND the rayon tampons. That often requires a consultation with the pharmacy rep. You have to pretend you are allergic to cotton (extra hard as a guy.)

The rayon is somehow slippery. I don't care what anyone says. Then you have to disembowel the tampon and frankly that's hard and the whole time you are thinking "I am disemboweling a tampon what has my life COME TO."

Then, get all the fibers aligned and oh, forget it. Tampon rayon sucks.

Tampons suck if you ask me. There are very few things I want in that area, although tampons do not top the list. A BABY tops the list.

Still if the FDA banned rayon, I would do it.

Anna

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Tampon rayon is annoying. Frankly. First you have to FIND the rayon tampons. That often requires a consultation with the pharmacy rep. You have to pretend you are allergic to cotton (extra hard as a guy.)

The rayon is somehow slippery. I don't care what anyone says. Then you have to disembowel the tampon and frankly that's hard and the whole time you are thinking "I am disemboweling a tampon what has my life COME TO."

Tampons suck if you ask me. There are very few things I want in that area, although tampons do not top the list. A BABY tops the list.

Anna

Wait WHAT? Aren't rayon tampons suppose to suck?

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I did order more rayon but of course that did not help me now. Small remote communities often take an additional day to get packages and I am desperate. I read some super long threads and the search was on. I checked pill bottles...they did not pass the rayon test.

I am seriously thinking about dismembering at tampon. It is either that or wait until Wednesday unless I can find another source.

I do find it odd that before I started using rayon quite sometime ago cotton was OK to use, after rayon I was no longer interested in cotton at all. Now in a vape emergency I cannot get cotton to work at all even though I should be able to. Even though I like rayon better I should be able to get cotton working.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA

Anna

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I found a list of tampons that are supposedly safe to use in one of the threads. I maybe learning soon how hard it is to do.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I understand exactly what you mean with cotton, seems way too variable.

So one wick works, fifty don't and annoy the hell out of you.

Only just started using Rayon myself recently and going through a bit of a learning curve with it, but it's so much more uniform in wicking than cotton.

Just trying to get the tightness through the coil right.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Only just started using Rayon myself recently and going through a bit of a learning curve with it, but it's so much more uniform in wicking than cotton.
Same here, had to pay AUS$60 to Amazon to get 40ft of Graham rayon sent to Australia. My first attempts failed due to shrinkage of the rayon. I read online a method for the Profile is to use a tread of shoelace cotton under a rope of rayon with the cotton over the spring cap and the rayon under the mesh...seems to work well.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
2 pieces of Rayon for the Profile works fine. 1 piece is too little. Never tried the shoelace/rayon
I’m getting the impression that all rayon puff is not created equal.
I got some rayon sent to me by another member and one “piece” was just about exactly right. I mentioned this in an earlier post though and was told that this was not true and other people had to split it in half or nearly in half to get a good amount.
There’s a pretty good chance it comes in various thicknesses much like toilet paper. If length is the only measurement used, cheaping out on the various other dimensions seems like a forgone conclusion.
Perhaps we’ve been spoiled by the consistency of Japanese cotton where one brand always has a consistent size and thickness for a given pad. Perhaps we need to start thinking of rayon the same way. What brand of rayon? Which “type”? With paper there are several considerations: fiber type, thickness of paper, density of paper, and width. Long ago they started grading paper by weight to avoid these problems. That’s why you see paper with pound markings. “ 110lb bond” means it’s a bond type paper and a ream (144 sheets) weighs 110lb. 110lb bond is thin cardstock btw. Typing paper is usually 60-80lb bond. The sheer size is also standardized btw and is a good deal bigger than a standard sheet of paper which is why a ream of typing paper doesn’t weigh 60lb.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I’m getting the impression that all rayon puff is not created equal.
I got some rayon sent to me by another member and one “piece” was just about exactly right. I mentioned this in an earlier post though and was told that this was not true and other people had to split it in half or nearly in half to get a good amount.
There’s a pretty good chance it comes in various thicknesses much like toilet paper. If length is the only measurement used, cheaping out on the various other dimensions seems like a forgone conclusion.
Perhaps we’ve been spoiled by the consistency of Japanese cotton where one brand always has a consistent size and thickness for a given pad. Perhaps we need to start thinking of rayon the same way. What brand of rayon? Which “type”? With paper there are several considerations: fiber type, thickness of paper, density of paper, and width. Long ago they started grading paper by weight to avoid these problems. That’s why you see paper with pound markings. “ 110lb bond” means it’s a bond type paper and a ream (144 sheets) weighs 110lb. 110lb bond is thin cardstock btw. Typing paper is usually 60-80lb bond. The sheer size is also standardized btw and is a good deal bigger than a standard sheet of paper which is why a ream of typing paper doesn’t weigh 60lb.

I don’t know if there is anything to identify one Rayon rope over the next outside the manufactures name on the box, should that be present. As for the Japanese cotton, there are differences. The stuff that is branded as Muji, along with a small handful of others come from the same OEM. Koh Gen Do, although I have been informed by a good friend who works in the cosmetic industry is made out of the same factory, is packed differently – larger and thicker pad. But there are other brands that we identify as Muji or Koh Gen that are not the same in thickness and size. Plus the dozens we tend to avoid due to rounded dimensions or being quilted.

I thought my post could have been beneficial to those Profile users who prefer Rayon over cotton for it demonstrates that 2 pieces of rope can be used successfully. Although not a great expense, shoelace cotton does have a higher price per use – you pay for that aglet pre cut package. It is up to the individual to find any value in that package. As for using 2 different types of wicking within the Profile, how successful is that transfer of fluid from one type of wick to the other in comparison to just using one of the same wick? Cotton does have a different absorption rate than Rayon. Is it retaining juice, or allowing for a successful transfer over to the Rayon? I don’t know but something to think about.

Reactions: bombastinator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread