Quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

sociofobs

Dec 16, 2012
Latvia
This post has been posted in Veteran section as well, awaiting answer. Sorry for double post.
--------------------------

Good morning ECF,
I'm a 3-pack-a-day smoker & recently (a few days ago) switched to my 3rd ecig, which has become my favorite gadget to date. Now about analogs, I'm not really considering to quit smoking, I've been a smoker for 5 years, I like the physical process, I love having a smoke while waiting for the bus, having a smoke while drinking a beer, .. the list goes on endlessly. I'm a big extreme sports fan & I ride bmx myself, remembering how it was back when I just started riding (about 6 years ago) & how it is now, how I'm not capable anymore, how I get tired after a few jumps, that makes me think - ***** tobacco & cigarettes, no matter how much I like to smoke. I can't live without extreme lifestyle :)
Now, when I ordered my 3rd ecig a week ago, I thought - hell with it, I'll just smoke 1 pack a day instead of 3 packs, that was an optimistic thought cuz I tried to quit several times in the past - it was 3 days without smokes, maximum. Ofcourse, I tried it without any NRT or ecigs, what I did was - when I wanted a smoke, I took a chocolate & chewed it for 5 minutes. That took my mind off cigaretes a little, but my cravings were too huge to quit like that. I started to shake, felt terrible, got even speaking problems, couldn't concentrate on something other than cigarettes.
Now, a few days ago, my 3rc ecig kit arrived, which I ordered individually in parts, thanks to ECF members :) I got what I wanted & what I thought would satisfy me the most. I was right.
In the 1st day with my ecig, I smoked a pack of cigs in ~20 hours. Usually when I'm awake that long, it takes me atleast 3 packs of cigs, sometimes 4, sometimes 5. I was amazed how much it helps to have such a strong alternative which can keep me off of cigs. 2nd day - not even a pack, in 12 hours I smoked ~10 cigs or less, didn't even count. Ofcourse I had my moments when I forgot that I have a PV in my pocket, my hand went for a pack of cigs automatically, but at the same second, I thought '... am I doing?' & I was able to keep my cigs in my bag because of my ecig.
3rd day (this morning), I woke up & instead of having a smoke as I usually did, I took my PV & vaped for ~10 mins, maybe less. 24mg nic in my clearo, 11mg in my second one & 19mg in the 3rd one. I hate my 24mg liquid, it taste terrible, but it helps me to get my 'dosage' more than medium or low nic levels. vaping a 24mg nic ejuice for 10mins, I get this nic buzz going on, sometimes even a slight headache & when that happens, I don't even think about regular cigarettes. It's like smoking a pack of Marlborro reds - one after the other.
I want to get off of analogs for good, let's see how this day will go. This morning, as I just said, I vaped for 10 mins when I woke up. I woke up @ 5am, now it's 6.30am. My ego twist is charging, will take another 2-3 hours, but I don't really feel the need to have a regular smoke. Usually by now I would have smoked 3 - 6 cigs.

Now what do you people recommend, is it worth it to try & forget about analogs for good at this point, or is it better to have a cig now & then for a few days or weeks, & then get off them? As a heavy smoker, I know what to expect if I'll try to quit now, without having a few cigs throughout the day. The withdrawal process can be unbearable. I just want to know how it goes with vaping, atleast I can get my nicotine & physical process.

Kopfstimmen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2012
I don't think it's better to smoke them any longer than you have to. If you feel you can get by with vaping instead, then do that. If you do end up with terrible cravings and break down, don't beat yourself up about it though. Just make sure you always have a backup.

Having said that, I didn't follow my own advice in the first sentence. I waited until I was down to my last pack and a half, timed the half pack so that I smoked the last cigarette just before bed, then never opened the last pack. I still have that last pack, and pull it out and look at it once in a while, but I'll be damned if I'm going to open it. :)

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hi sociofobs - well congrats firstly on cutting down from being a heavy smoker. You will get advice both ways I expect. Truth is only you will know the answer. I haven't smoked for nearly 9 months. I was a heavy smoker, and for me, if I have one I am likely to follow it up with more until it tastes like how I remember. So I just don't go there. But others find they have one and it tastes awful and that's that.
I'd suggest you get a couple of back up batteries so you don't have to wait for one to charge. Always have back ups for your backups.
If slowly cutting down more works for you go that way. If you find you don't actually feel like a cig then that's good too.
And as you cut down vape instead. You will know.

Last edited:

sociofobs

Dec 16, 2012
Latvia
I find it helpful to think of 'why' rather 'why not' about smoking. I'm going to reduce my nicotine addiction slowly until I won't need it at all, hope it'll work out as easy as it sounds, sooner or later. If I can satisfy my nicotine addiction for now with vaping, why should I mess up my lungs with smokes. I feel way better when I don't smoke, even now. If I'll take a smoke, it will cause me to feel bad, ruin my mood :) so why should I do that. If cravings are too strong then one should keep his mind occupied with something else - hobby, work, conversations, whatever helps. Another thing is personality, mood, daylife. My mood changes rapidly & usually when I'm in a bad mood, I smoke 3x more than when I smile or laugh. It does not help to feel better, it does not help to get rid of stress, it's just a bad habit that makes you psychologically feel 'better'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread