Quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

sociofobs

Dec 16, 2012
Latvia
Good morning ECF,
I'm a 3-pack-a-day smoker & recently (a few days ago) switched to my 3rd ecig, which has become my favorite gadget to date. Now about analogs, I'm not really considering to quit smoking, I've been a smoker for 5 years, I like the physical process, I love having a smoke while waiting for the bus, having a smoke while drinking a beer, .. the list goes on endlessly. I'm a big extreme sports fan & I ride bmx myself, remembering how it was back when I just started riding (about 6 years ago) & how it is now, how I'm not capable anymore, how I get tired after a few jumps, that makes me think - ***** tobacco & cigarettes, no matter how much I like to smoke. I can't live without extreme lifestyle :)
Now, when I ordered my 3rd ecig a week ago, I thought - hell with it, I'll just smoke 1 pack a day instead of 3 packs, that was an optimistic thought cuz I tried to quit several times in the past - it was 3 days without smokes, maximum. Ofcourse, I tried it without any NRT or ecigs, what I did was - when I wanted a smoke, I took a chocolate & chewed it for 5 minutes. That took my mind off cigaretes a little, but my cravings were too huge to quit like that. I started to shake, felt terrible, got even speaking problems, couldn't concentrate on something other than cigarettes.
Now, a few days ago, my 3rc ecig kit arrived, which I ordered individually in parts, thanks to ECF members :) I got what I wanted & what I thought would satisfy me the most. I was right.
In the 1st day with my ecig, I smoked a pack of cigs in ~20 hours. Usually when I'm awake that long, it takes me atleast 3 packs of cigs, sometimes 4, sometimes 5. I was amazed how much it helps to have such a strong alternative which can keep me off of cigs. 2nd day - not even a pack, in 12 hours I smoked ~10 cigs or less, didn't even count. Ofcourse I had my moments when I forgot that I have a PV in my pocket, my hand went for a pack of cigs automatically, but at the same second, I thought '... am I doing?' & I was able to keep my cigs in my bag because of my ecig.
3rd day (this morning), I woke up & instead of having a smoke as I usually did, I took my PV & vaped for ~10 mins, maybe less. 24mg nic in my clearo, 11mg in my second one & 19mg in the 3rd one. I hate my 24mg liquid, it taste terrible, but it helps me to get my 'dosage' more than medium or low nic levels. vaping a 24mg nic ejuice for 10mins, I get this nic buzz going on, sometimes even a slight headache & when that happens, I don't even think about regular cigarettes. It's like smoking a pack of Marlborro reds - one after the other.
I want to get off of analogs for good, let's see how this day will go. This morning, as I just said, I vaped for 10 mins when I woke up. I woke up @ 5am, now it's 6.30am. My ego twist is charging, will take another 2-3 hours, but I don't really feel the need to have a regular smoke. Usually by now I would have smoked 3 - 6 cigs.

Now what do you people recommend, is it worth it to try & forget about analogs for good at this point, or is it better to have a cig now & then for a few days or weeks, & then get off them? As a heavy smoker, I know what to expect if I'll try to quit now, without having a few cigs throughout the day. The withdrawal process can be unbearable. I just want to know how it goes with vaping, atleast I can get my nicotine & physical process.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
There's nothing wrong with having a few cigs throughout the day to supplement the ecigs. I think you will find that if you are committed to quit smoking you'll be smoking fewer cigs as time goes by and will eventually get to the point where you don't think about them anymore. That is providing you have a decent mod and the necessary nic level in your juice. A lot of people have quit this way.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Hey fobs!

tumblr_lzg80ntlgc1r8mn4eo1_400.gif

:D

I was also a 3 pack a day smoker and never intended to quit. Loved smoking. I heard about ecigs and got one - not a good one at first but came here and learned a bit more and got a 510 kit. I used it and thought, this could be a substitute. I did an experiment - when the urge hit, I'd take three hits on the ecig first, then IF I wanted a cigarette, then I'd have one. But once the nicotine hit the bloodstream, I was good. That was over three years ago and haven't had a cigarette since. I started with 24mg but soon went to 18mg. I get a high nic reaction at 24mg now - hiccups and a buzz - no headache though. I'm down to @8-12mgs.

It will vary with each individual, but from our now extensive experience we know that most people get their taste buds back at around a month or so, after around 3 to 4 months, I began to feel lighter in the upper respiratory track gaining more 'breath' and not feeling the heaviness or exhaustion.... again, ymmv, but many here have experienced the same. And it gets even better with more time.

All that said, some still smoke some cigarettes, even if it's just 4 to 6. My wife did that for a while now she's totally off cigs for 4 months without any urge to go back. It's the nicotine, mainly, and the 'smoke/vapor' factor. With ecigs you get both. If the nicotine patches or the nicoret gum smoked, they might work better for some. :laugh:

I use eGo's mainly with Tabac BCC clearomizers now. The trick is finding the right flavors you like and the wattage that suits the flavors best. Light flavors do better at lower wattages and stronger flavors are enhance by more wattage (in general - again, ymmv). Once you find the right flavors, it's easier and more enjoyable. Good luck. Keep on bikin'!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Without a doubt, if you feel you need a cig, have one! This is about how many cigs you DON'T smoke, not the ones you do smoke!
I take it you smoke inside your home, make it a bit harder. Clean your house, clean the walls and ceilings, get the smell out and put the ashtrays' outside. Now you have to go outside because you don't want your house to smell like that anymore! You can't sit in front of the computer, you have to go outside. You can't sit and watch TV, you have to go outside. This will change the habit for you and train your brain to vape because you CAN sit at the computer, watch TV etc. while you vape.
Anything you can do to re-train your brain to understand vaping is better, the easier it will come to you. But take your time and don't force it. The easier it comes to you the better it will stick with you.
Good luck!

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I smoked one cigarette a day for almost a year and didn't put any pressure on myself to stop (since I didn't want to give up smoking and no intention of giving up smoking). Kind of like cigar smoking maybe. Then it was one cig a week. Then after a time I hadn't smoked at all and that was that.

It took around a year but why worry.

As long as you get the right set-up, vaping can gradually take over even if it doesn't grab you 100% at first. Just make sure you have something that produces a lot of vapour, and that you like the refill liquids. To find refills you like may take a lot of experimentation.

Last edited:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I feel that being able to smoke while vaping is a very important incentive to try them. My experience was as I continued to smoke alongside the use of an e-cig I started realizing I enjoyed the e-cig as much, and then more than a cigarette. That was reason to further research this amazing little device to get the most out of it. After a bit it turned into a hobby I love.

Some people do better picking a quit date and sticking to it, and that's awesome for those that found a way that works for them. Many others, myself included, still loved smoking to a point that while sometimes I wanted to quit, my heart wasn't totally in it. I finally fell for vaping because it wasn't just an alternative nicotine delivery system, but for me a vastly superior one.

Most important in my case, I never beat myself up for indulging in a cigarette. I figured without vaping I would have had that one anyways, plus countless others. I still smoke an occasional one, sometimes they hit the spot, most other times they are kind of gross and when it's done I realize I would have been more satisfied with a vape.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread