R wire cable - 'ghetto wick'

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
There isn't a lot of info around about this so I think it deserves a discussion and also wanted to ask a couple of questions. The ghetto wire is a home made cable that is similar to stainless steel cable that became popular lately for wicking in genesis atomizers and it consists of a number of thicker resistance wires twisted together by hand or with a drilling machine. If I didn't I describe it good enough you can also see it on video here , starts around 21 min.

So any SS cable vapers care to give any info on it's performance? Do they wick as fast as cable and are there other differences, good or worse that worth mentioning?

I haven't tried the cable nor the ghetto because I'm satisfied with the 500 mesh, although I have some 30awg ( .25mm ) kanthal and I'm thinking to give it a try.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I cannot see the gain, the resistance wire will heat up quickly and burn the juice in the tank is my suspicion and if it isn't oxidized properly the shorting would be the quickest route to a blown regulated system, battery, and/or harm to healthy nature of skin..

SS cable has great dissipation of heat as does resistance wire but resistance wire heats up very quickly unlike ss cable.. It may work IDK just guesstimating, but its not worth the penalty if you can get to a home depot or B&M and buy real SS cable..

BTW SS cable is amazing when set-up properly..

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
I'm convinced ss cable is a step forward, the reason why this wick made me curious is that although it quite rudimentary, if it's satisfactory, the same method could be applied and making nickel wick and one wouldn't need the piece of mesh under the coils, it would be just liquid, but that's just theory. I'm guessing it would be an improvement in vape quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread