Radio Ops that Vape ( or Folks wanting to)

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
Good vaping to all de n4oqk. Interests here include 20M SSB, rtty, aprs/ax.25, satellite, vhf/uhf dx.
Hello MarkyD, I used to do a lot with the RS satellites, they were a lot of fun. Wonder if you ever worked W1TY? He's a big RTTY operator in our area. Only RTTY I ever did was contesting...

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
Hello MarkyD, I used to do a lot with the RS satellites, they were a lot of fun. Wonder if you ever worked W1TY? He's a big RTTY operator in our area. Only RTTY I ever did was contesting...

RS-12/13 those were favorites here too 2m up/10m down. Dont have w1ty in my logs but dont have logs from my previous callsigns. I got my start in about 1975 after doing repair work in the days when CB was popular.

Reactions: MikeyConti

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
RS-12/13 those were favorites here too 2m up/10m down. Dont have w1ty in my logs but dont have logs from my previous callsigns. I got my start in about 1975 after doing repair work in the days when CB was popular.
Those satallites are what really got me back into CW. Pretty much dropped it after getting my General but I found I could work 5 - 6 people in CW per pass as apposed to maybe making 1 contact (maybe) using SSB.

I ran an old IC-211 on a Ringo for the uplink and an SB-102 with a Butternut vertical for the downlinks.

JoanJ

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
WV
W3LT here. Seems like I have been a ham forever. 80 cw is my favorite place. Never been really interested in phone... was licensed in the early 70's. Met husband on the novice bands... we were both on the message nets then started chatting and finally met at the Warren OH hamfest. He is just now putting a station back up. He is a DXer... so those antennas will be up and working before he thinks about my dipole :D His calls are KL7WV and W3YQ, he vapes too. Ragchewing is my thing... none of this 5nn wv tnx stuff... good long chats, see what the wx is, what they do, about their family...

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
I've always been interested in SW/CB radio stuff, but never really pursued it. My dad was big into both SW and CB when I was young, and I always found it really cool. I remember he would be talking with folks in the UK and I was mesmerized!

Where's a good place to start, if someone wanted to begin looking at something?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My first exposure to ham radio was back in the 1960s. My grandfather had one of those big wood cabinet standalone RCA multiband radios from the 1930s/1940s that I used to play with when I was at my grandparent's home. Later on when his health began to fail he gave that radio to me. I'd sit in my room at home for hours and scan the bands listening to ham radio stations and commercial broadcasts from all over the world. I learned Morse Code, but never became fluent in being able to copy anything but slow transmissions.

I never got into 2 meter or had a ham radio transmitter, but CB attracted me later on and my friends and I communicated on mobile CB, the forerunner of 2M mobile.

JoanJ

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
WV
I've always been interested in SW/CB radio stuff, but never really pursued it. My dad was big into both SW and CB when I was young, and I always found it really cool. I remember he would be talking with folks in the UK and I was mesmerized!

I think the Dayton Hamvention is next weekend.

Getting started was no problem for me as my uncle was a ham and so is my mom, I grew up around it.

Not sure where in KY you are but perhaps there is a ham radio club nearby, some even do a Field Day weekend... will be June 25 & 26 this year. They generally set up in a field somewhere on emergency power and operate a contest of sorts.

We have ham radio as a hobby because the FCC considers it a public service in case of an emergency.

Kentucky

I am sure that if you can find someone local that they will surely help you better than I can as so much has changed since I was licensed.
Getting Licensed

I know all this is vague and general but hopefully it will help you find a live body closeby that can help you out.

woodhippy

Master of Know Place
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2014
New Bloomfield MO

If you would like a study guide for the Tech license. I have a PDF I made up for folks to study by. And I can help find you a VE Testing place. Shoot me a pm with a email if ya need. And This offer stands for anyone else

JoanJ

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
WV
I was wrong on Dayton Hamvention dates... also looks like they will be doing a 1 day Tech class too.
Hamvention

When I was searching for licensing info, I found out they apparently did away with the Advanced class??? I was always happy being a General until married an Extra class and he kept on me about it. Took both Advanced and Extra same day at Warren OH hamfest and passed the Extra but failed the Advanced so didn't get an upgrade that day. Code has never been a problem for me, I copy faster than I can write or type and even after years of being away, seems it is all still there. I took the tests again a couple months later and passed both with flying colors. Was funny because while taking them, could see hubby outside pacing like an expectant father. I did them both with my trusty slide rule as I didn't like calculators :D

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
As a pre/early teen, my frends and I were into SWL'ing and CB. We would listen to DX on the SWL bands and spot what we were listening to on CB. We also "shot DX" in CH 16 SSB lol...

Back then I built my first Ham Rig, a HW-16 and HG-10b VFO. As my teen years advanced, radio fell to the wayside due to Girls :w00t:. It wasn't til I got married in my early 20's that I finally got my Novice and finally got on the air. We lived in a ground floor apartment that backed up to woods so I snuck a length of RG-58 out the window and put a fan dipole up in the woods for 40/15 meters lol. That was the summer of '82.

Made General shortly after when we bought a house and I could have real antennas. Didn't do much with radio until I joined our local DX club in '94 and went from General to Advanced, then Extra in about 2 months time. Became active on our VE Team and made many a new ham ;)

Now I'm divorced and back in an apartment since 2001. In 2007 I got tired of not being on the air and figured out how to have an effective indoor antenna. I put up an indoor folded wire loop of about 80 feet of #14 THHN fed with an SGC-230 auto coupler at it's base. Have about 3500 contacts logged here chasing DX and contesting and finally worked the remaining 75 countries for my first DXCC.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread