Rage Squonk Mod Bad Taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmayer29

Aug 5, 2012
FL
Hi all. Been years since I've been on here. Hope everyone is doing great.
Have a weird thing that's been happening with my Rage mod. I actually had the first Rage I bought replaced, but the replacement is giving me the same issue. I've tried the mod with different rda's, different juices, different squonk bottles...All of which have worked fine on other mods... and after about a day of vaping on the Rage, I start getting this awful flavor from it. It's hard to describe, but I guess it's like a weird plastic-y kind of taste? I've tried cleaning the squonk bottle, gotten new ones, and no matter what I try, it keeps happening. It stinks, bc the mod totally rules other than this. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I haven't seen anything online about it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Perhaps you have a sensitivity to what ever silicone is used for the Rage bottles. I don’t find the Rage bottles to be a problem, but do find the coloured Vandy Vape bottles to be an issue. The white seems to be fine. Have also read that the dye’s used to colour silicone can be detected by some which seems to shadow my experience. Are you using the coloured bottles or the clear/white ones?

• Useful

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It's happened like 3 RDA's. Goon 1.5, Hermetic, and Pulse X
Hmm. Well that knocks that on the head. The juice flow in a squonk goes from the bottle, through the tube, then the tube fitting, to the 510 connector, to the atty. one would assume that one of these points is the culprit

kmayer29

Aug 5, 2012
FL
Perhaps you have a sensitivity to what ever silicone is used for the Rage bottles. I don’t find the Rage bottles to be a problem, but do find the coloured Vandy Vape bottles to be an issue. The white seems to be fine. Have also read that the dye’s used to colour silicone can be detected by some which seems to shadow my experience. Are you using the coloured bottles or the clear/white ones?
I've used white and a darker colored one. I just switched to a new white one, as well as a new RDA & new juice. So far, it tastes fine, but that's normal. The weird taste tends to creep in at the end of the first day using it. Will update from here.

• Optimistic

kmayer29

Aug 5, 2012
FL
Oh, BTW... Very sweet kitty. I have that looks just like that :)

kmayer29

Aug 5, 2012
FL
Hmm. Well that knocks that on the head. The juice flow in a squonk goes from the bottle, through the tube, then the tube fitting, to the 510 connector, to the atty. one would assume that one of these points is the culprit
Unfortunately, I'm not the most handy person ever. I don't think I'm competent enough to replace those parts of the mod lol. Thanks so much for the help tho. All of you folks... really appreciate it :)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Unfortunately, I'm not the most handy person ever. I don't think I'm competent enough to replace those parts of the mod lol. Thanks so much for the help tho. All of you folks... really appreciate it :)
I guess what I was asking is are there any points I mentioned that you haven’t checked?

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
You recently switched to a new bottle (you said you did) and it started off fine, right?

Then you get the 'plasitcy' taste after it sits for a while?

I would suspect that maybe once of the chemicals used in making the bottle is leaching out into the juice over time perhaps. Once the bottle is exposed to juice for a while, it starts to make the juice taste funny?

Maybe clean the bottles well, let them air for a few days and try them again. Or if you have a clear bottle you haven't used in a while, go back and try it now if it's sat out in the air (cap off too) for a while.

Chemicals slowly leach out of plastics and materials and will probably dissipate over time. You may just be particularly sensitive or able to taste somehing used in the manufacture of the bottles.

This of course assumes it's the bottles since you say it's fine when first using a new bottle, but then the taste comes back over time. Sometimes processed materials can smell for a bit until they have time to age. Washing alone won't fix this since you are just washing the surface. The substances can leach out from beneath the surface of the silicone itself for a while.

I can't remember which mod it was, but I had some bottles that even after washing, still smelled strongly. It may have been the colored Pulse bottles. I left them sit out and air with the caps off for a week before using them. It took about a week for the smell to go away.

• Useful

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I've used white and a darker colored one. I just switched to a new white one, as well as a new RDA & new juice. So far, it tastes fine, but that's normal. The weird taste tends to creep in at the end of the first day using it. Will update from here.

I am pretty much the same with the Vandy Vape squonk bottles. I get about a week or 2 of use out of them then they start to smell and add to the flavour – which is not nice to say the least. But have found this only happens with the black coloured bottle – I own a white (clear) one that so far seems to be fine. Looks you have tried pretty much everything but have you flushed out the Rage? Fill the bottle full of warm water, turn the mod upside down over the sink and squeeze to wash out the 510 interface. Doubt this will rectify your problem but worth a try.

I have also tried leaving the bottle in a bowl of baking soda for a few days – it helped a bit but not enough. Worth a try but just make sure you give the bottle a good wash afterwards. I have since moved onto an aftermarket squonk bottle for my Pulse 80 – unfortunately this maybe difficult with the Rage.

Kitty's (the boss of the house) name is Zelda

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I've had bottles I've had to boil in water, boil with water and white vinegar and bottles that suck no matter what you do. The coil master goblin bottles work well for me...(maybe it's gremlin?)
But what you're describing is definitely an issue with the bottle. Did you already say what juice you were vaping? A really harsh citrus or menthol can probably speed up the inherent problems with plastics.....

I'll leave now. My dog doesn't seem to like kittys. My cats are pretty bummed out about it .Actually, she just plays rough.....very rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread