Rally in D.C. 11/9/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
From what I have seen trump actually do, rather than say (because they are different) it is my considered impression that he doesn’t do anything for anyone ever unless there’s something in it for him personally that is a good bit greater than what it might cost HIM personally. He does not lift a finger for anyone except himself ever, and he doesn’t care how much damage he does to anyone else ever. There is no weighing of long term consequences. Good of humanity, of the people, or the country is not himself personally. His definition of truth is anything to his personal advantage and falsehood is anything not to his personal disadvantage. Reality is unimportant.

Replace trump with people and I think that describes the viewpoint of most people in modern society. It's disheartening how much selfishness is a part of everyday life. It used to be that greed, selfishness, corruption and its like appalled us. Now we see this as common place, consideration and generosity have become the exceptions, and are applauded because of their rarity.

What are we as a species evolving to become? From my viewpoint, it's not the bright future I was taught to believe in, and work towards advancing. When history looks back on us in 200 years, what will they call our age?

• Agree
Reactions: United States

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Yea I wasn't looking for a political debate, just stating a cold hard fact, when you win certain states by the skin of your teeth you may lose those states next time if you anger your base. Some may say things like it won't impact votes, but have you ever made it hard on a loved one to smoke or vape? people do NOT take kindly to it. Somehow I doubt people who vape will just let his ban slide and vote for him. If we are on the lawn saying no flavor no vote I think he will walk it back rather fast to a campaign to prevent underage sales. I am solidly in his base, but I will be at home on voting day if I'm vaping tobacco flavor....as will many others.
It will only matter to the idiots known as single issue voters. Informed voters are not single issue voters and vaping will make no difference either way. Vaper or not.

• Agree
Reactions: United States

DARKFIRE007

Nov 16, 2014
Alabama
It will only matter to the idiots known as single issue voters. Informed voters are not single issue voters and vaping will make no difference either way. Vaper or not.

Oh don't hand me that single issue dribble...I am in his base for multiple reasons such as border security, stopping what seems to be a nationwide push by Democrats to normalize killing a 9 month old child, our second amendment being protected, not paying for illegals healthcare with higher taxes, among other reasons. Infringing on ANY freedom for no reason is enough to give me pause in voting...the message that if kids can do something meant for adults we will punish everyone regardless of the rights of the adult. I don't THINK so. I may be a Trump voter but I AM an American first and won't have it.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Oh don't hand me that single issue dribble...I am in his base for multiple reasons such as border security, stopping what seems to be a nationwide push by Democrats to normalize killing a 9 month old child, our second amendment being protected, not paying for illegals healthcare with higher taxes, among other reasons. Infringing on ANY freedom for no reason is enough to give me pause in voting...the message that if kids can do something meant for adults we will punish everyone regardless of the rights of the adult. I don't THINK so. I may be a Trump voter but I AM an American first and won't have it.
So what you said earlier is you're willing to throw what is best for the country aside just because the best candidate is against vaping or the worst candidate is for vaping. That's called a single issue voter. The vaping issue will only matter to idiots known as single issue voters is the point.

DARKFIRE007

Nov 16, 2014
Alabama
So what you said earlier is you're willing to throw what is best for the CV country aside just because the best candidate is against vaping or the worst candidate is for vaping. That's called a single issue voter.

You still didn't hear me...forget it is vaping for a moment. This ban gives a blank check to the government to ban ANYTHING if there is an upswing in youth usage. That includes alcohol, and virtually anything that has an age requirement. If that isn't worrisome to you then you aren't paying attention. If the single issue I withhold my vote for is not to put someone in office who will infringe on our rights when it suits him? so be it.

Reactions: Ceejay0875

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
You still didn't hear me...forget it is vaping for a moment. This ban gives a blank check to the government to ban ANYTHING if there is an upswing in youth usage. That includes alcohol, and virtually anything that has an age requirement. If that isn't worrisome to you then you aren't paying attention. If the single issue I withhold my vote for is not to put someone in office who will infringe on our rights when it suits him? so be it.
My above statement stands and I'll repeat it again. Single issue voters are idiots. Vaping won't make any difference either way. And if your rights mean anything to you at all the you might want to look at what BOTH sides are saying about EVERYTHING and not just vaping.

DARKFIRE007

Nov 16, 2014
Alabama
My above statement stands and I'll repeat it again. Single issue voters are idiots. Vaping won't make any difference either way. And if your rights mean anything to you at all the you might want to look at what BOTH sides are saying about EVERYTHING and not just vaping.

You are proud to repeat a vote for someone who infringes on your freedoms because of a few ill informed news stories but I'm the idiot? Okay pal lol. #WeVapeWeVote

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
You are proud to repeat a vote for someone who infringes on your freedoms because of a few ill informed news stories but I'm the idiot? Okay pal lol. #WeVapeWeVote
Yes you are. I love this country and don't want to see it destroyed. You are willing to vote for someone that will take all your rights away but let you vape your brains out. Yeah you're brilliant alright. Go ahead and vote your single issue and lose everything else.

DARKFIRE007

Nov 16, 2014
Alabama
Yes you are. I love this country and don't want to see it destroyed. You are willing to vote for someone that will take all your rights away but let you vape your brains out. Yeah you're brilliant alright. Go ahead and vote your single issue and lose everything else.

Do you even bother to read before you reply? I dare you to copy and paste ANY part of my posts that said I was voting for anyone. There is a difference between not voting for someone you disagree with and voting against them, but at this point I'm not surprised that fact is lost on you.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Do you even bother to read before you reply? I dare you to copy and paste ANY part of my posts that said I was voting for anyone. There is a difference between not voting for someone you disagree with and voting against them, but at this point I'm not surprised that fact is lost on you.
You obviously don't get it and don't even understand what you've said but there again you are a single issue voter.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yea I wasn't looking for a political debate, just stating a cold hard fact, when you win certain states by the skin of your teeth you may lose those states next time if you anger your base. Some may say things like it won't impact votes, but have you ever made it hard on a loved one to smoke or vape? people do NOT take kindly to it. Somehow I doubt people who vape will just let his ban slide and vote for him. If we are on the lawn saying no flavor no vote I think he will walk it back rather fast to a campaign to prevent underage sales. I am solidly in his base, but I will be at home on voting day if I'm vaping tobacco flavor....as will many others.
I was too. It’s what I see in him. I’m trying to give my best advice. It’s a view, that is all. One probably not worth much but it’s all I got. I want the protests to have an effect. I’d go if I could. Just to add another body to the mass if nothing else. I can’t though. I don’t have that kind of mobility. Not right now anyway. Perhaps not anymore. I also don’t have any useful skills. Useful skills is what a movement needs. I went to an activism summit recently and one message stuck with me. The statement was that activism is not unlike RPGs. People see the social justice warriors but there are other classes. Social justice wizards, social justice clerics, even the occasional social justice rogue. I’m just a social justice peasant. If that. Maybe this is my attempt to be a social justice mushroom.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be done I guess. I don’t know how to do it or if it could be done though. There may be better targets in Washington.

Perhaps you are correct and there is enough power there that he can see if he even sees it, and he will decide to try and harness it for his purpose.

Blue media says he’s discomfited by the impeachment stuff. Red media says he isn’t. I don’t know what is true. I’m just a mushroom.
If he is it’s not impossible he could see this as a lever that might be worth putting a finger on. Or someone else’s finger if possible.

Me I think he may very well be elected again no matter what anyone does. The poll systems that have good accuracy reputations are all based on how the country is doing rather than how people feel about the president or what kind of person he is, and those are the goals he seems to try to meet. Do I think he is a good person? No. I actually think he’s a reasonable avatar of the beast in revelations. Not the first the world has seen and I hope not the last, ironically. He’s less comfortably in the lead than he was, but barring a really gigantic screw up there’s a pretty reasonable chance he’ll get elected again.
I guess I’m just saying that to get assistance from a man such as him one has to have the thing he thinks he needs more than the many other things people are offering him. I personally think it’s a classic devil’s bargain. People like that always take much more than they give. He doesn’t value words very much though. He seems happy to spread those around. Words seem cheaper than actions to him. He might be willing to spout some words. They’ll be expensive though. He does occasionally have to perform enough actions to give his words some value above zero. He seems to choose the cheap stuff not the hard stuff. Definitely not the stuff that might be difficult. Like that “drain the swamp” thing. That one was exceptionally laughable coming from him. He practically IS the swamp, and his power comes from the party that created it. What I see is if he does choose action he uses other people’s resources to do them, and he’s not afraid to use them up. That’s the really hard one with BT. They have resources. That could be useful. Maybe they will be afraid to commit them to someone they know will happily use them entire for his own gain and then simply discard them. This view of who he is is pretty popular knowledge outside of the red media areas. Which is most of the world. There’s a reason he gets laughed at internationally. There’s another one. It seems he doesn’t like to be laughed at.

it’s all I got. A blue mushroom view. May it be useful somehow.

Reactions: Blitzdonlife

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
My pop told me as a lad "never discuss politics and religion with strangers".

I found that to be good advice over the years, but not because of disagreeing with the other side. Nope I value others opinions. Especially opposing ones.

The issue I see is when folks actually agree with each other but are too busy shouting at each other to realize it. That's what my pop was talking about.

Maybe I watch too many cop shows, but frankly I'm afraid to walk down the streets in my nations capital. A place where the name of the pro basketball team had to be changed due to irony of "bullets" whizzing about all over the place and half the crazies on the planet dream of self detonating themselves someday.

Plus it's just too dam crowded there. To move 5 city blocks in your automobile can take 2 hours on any given day due to pothole patching or some idiot never realized cars gasoline tanks have to be refilled from time to time.

I try to do my part one person at a time as opportunities present themselves and have probably changed more minds to see the virtues of vaping to a positive than I would in a march on DC. I will stick with that, thank you. But will say "BRAVO" to those that make the effort to be there that day.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My pop told me as a lad "never discuss politics and religion with strangers".

I found that to be good advice over the years, but not because of disagreeing with the other side. Nope I value others opinions. Especially opposing ones.

The issue I see is when folks actually agree with each other but are too busy shouting at each other to realize it. That's what my pop was talking about.

Maybe I watch too many cop shows, but frankly I'm afraid to walk down the streets in my nations capital. A place where the name of the pro basketball team had to be changed due to irony of "bullets" whizzing about all over the place and half the crazies on the planet dream of self detonating themselves someday.

Plus it's just too dam crowded there. To move 5 city blocks in your automobile can take 2 hours on any given day due to pothole patching or some idiot never realized cars gasoline tanks have to be refilled from time to time.

I try to do my part one person at a time as opportunities present themselves and have probably changed more minds to see the virtues of vaping to a positive than I would in a march on DC. I will stick with that, thank you. But will say "BRAVO" to those that make the effort to be there that day.
Im not afraid of DC myself. I live in a city and I’ve been to DC, as well as a few others in the world. London is safer than DC, but that doesn’t make it much more dangerous. Yes, there are guns. I don’t know what the guns per square foot level is in DC. Possibly a good deal higher than in any place outside another American metropolis or some city actually at war. In DC and London it’s the traffic that is more likely to kill you. The DC beltway is a thing most try to avoid. Subways are good though.

On the subject of inter aisle solidarity, one thing that popped up in my YouTube feed this morning was the speeches Obama and Bush gave at MaCaine’s funeral. It falls into a bunch of categories of stuff I try to avoid watching. It’s old. It’s pagentry. It’s about death. It’s politically partisan. McCaine was GOP but he got what looked to be decidedly purple towards the end. I’d never seen it though, and there wasn’t anything else listed I particularly wanted to see either though so I watched the first few minutes of it. Obama does talk about McCaine before he got sick though.
This isn’t the same video. I don’t have that link. I googled and picked what looked like the most unedited one. (That being the longest) 20 minutes. There were ones as short as 3 min. available though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread