Ran over my ProVari! :( Oh My Goodness this sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krprice84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So yea, I was at work and we just got a new boom lift delivered, so i was going to go move it. had my provari in my hand but couldn't get it started and didn't know how this model worked, apparently. so i put my provari in the tread on the tire beside me and started playing with the controls. still couldn't get it started, so i went over to the platform where the manual was, and started looking at it. found that i had to do something at the platform before it would start, and that i could start it from there too, so i did, and then decided i would move it to where we wanted it. ended up going back and forth about 5 times just to get used to the new controls, then turned and moved it into place.

went back inside to work for a bit, then went to have a few puffs, and couldn't find it. at first i wondered if someone jacked it, but then i realized i left it on the tire and almost crapped my pants. i literally RAN outside to see if it maybe (luckily?) fell off the tire before i moved, but i couldn't see it. then i saw it's back end poking out of a puddle (!) and ran over, found that the boge carto was broken off and partly stuck inside the provari, the ming vase drip tip was broken off and smashed, and the screen cover was smashed on my provari. i picked it up and turned it over and the LED on the switch was on solid, but dimmer than normal. i took the battery out, then popped out the top cover cuz it was partly popped off already anyways, and i wanted to dry out the innards.

well, after it was all dry, i put it back together, after i drilled out the switch hole a little bit cuz the tube got crushed a little bit and deformed the hole to the point the switch just stuck in it. the crushed part of the tube wasn't crushed in a mortal part of the tube, so i put it back together praying it would work, but as soon as the battery made contact with the end cap, the switch LED just went on really diimly, flashing at about 10 or 20 times a second, and nothing i did would help. the board inside didn't look mucked up, but the display wasn't working, and i couldn't see anything wrong with the board, so i'm assuming the water did end up doing some damage.... :(

i was so choked, like seriously... what the crap. thankfully, provape said that they could fix the internal damage for 65$, including return shipping, so that's alright, considering. i just ordered a provari mini though, the day after this happened, which should arrive on friday i'm hoping, or possibly tomrw but i doubt it, but i couldn't wait for mine to get to them, get fixed, then come back to me! using my ego, even for this short time, is KILLING ME... i even bummed a smoke off of some guy near my work the day it happened, cuz i just needed a nic fix after killing my baby :(

just had to share this with everyone, more cuz i'm choked, but maybe it will teach other people to not, errr... put their provari on the tire of industrial machinery you are using.... :S

chaosring01

Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
greensboro nc
ahh that sucks! i work on fiber lines so i'm around and in bucket trucks all day long, i was worried about my provari so i cut up my beloved leatherman case. the mini fits really good in there.
2012-05-02_230624.jpg

stays by my side no matter what

cmattb25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
St. Louis
Oh man, that really sucks. I hate even ask but can we see some pics of the carnage? What was the weight of the boom lift that ran it over if I may ask?

I've dropped mine out of my jacket pocket onto the driveway a few times and bang it into stuff in my pocket daily but nothing near that extreme. It has a few little battle scars but works like a champ.

Krprice84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
yea, to be honest, the damn thing stood up pretty frickin good, in all honesty.

i don't know the actual weight of the boom lift, but it's got a 50' max platform height or something crazy like that.... all i know is that the building we're working on is no more than 30' high and i can go a rediculous height above the top of the parepet, so yea. it's a Genie lift, 4x4, gas and propane powered, so not a small machine by any means.

i'll take some pics and post them, but yea, it really stood up well, all things considered. to be honest, i think if it were a dry area it was run over on, it would have totally survived the incident, but with a broken window AND an hour sitting in a puddle, what chance did it have (that, and the button was stuck pushed down, so it was firing when it fell into the puddle.... obviously not a good thing either...

gimme a little bit to post pics, might have to be tomrw, but i'll get them up

Krprice84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
oh, and an update, the mini should be arriving tomrw... i'm actually thinking of taking the morning off work to stalk the postman, because i work over 30 mins out of town, so i can't just run home at lunch.... or can i? hmm.....an hour drive during the day or take the morning off....

i think i'm comin home for lunch tomrw lol

indianwells

Oct 1, 2009
So yea, I was at work and we just got a new boom lift delivered, so i was going to go move it. had my provari in my hand but couldn't get it started and didn't know how this model worked, apparently. so i put my provari in the tread on the tire beside me and started playing with the controls. still couldn't get it started, so i went over to the platform where the manual was, and started looking at it. found that i had to do something at the platform before it would start, and that i could start it from there too, so i did, and then decided i would move it to where we wanted it. ended up going back and forth about 5 times just to get used to the new controls, then turned and moved it into place.

went back inside to work for a bit, then went to have a few puffs, and couldn't find it. at first i wondered if someone jacked it, but then i realized i left it on the tire and almost crapped my pants. i literally RAN outside to see if it maybe (luckily?) fell off the tire before i moved, but i couldn't see it. then i saw it's back end poking out of a puddle (!) and ran over, found that the boge carto was broken off and partly stuck inside the provari, the ming vase drip tip was broken off and smashed, and the screen cover was smashed on my provari. i picked it up and turned it over and the LED on the switch was on solid, but dimmer than normal. i took the battery out, then popped out the top cover cuz it was partly popped off already anyways, and i wanted to dry out the innards.

well, after it was all dry, i put it back together, after i drilled out the switch hole a little bit cuz the tube got crushed a little bit and deformed the hole to the point the switch just stuck in it. the crushed part of the tube wasn't crushed in a mortal part of the tube, so i put it back together praying it would work, but as soon as the battery made contact with the end cap, the switch LED just went on really diimly, flashing at about 10 or 20 times a second, and nothing i did would help. the board inside didn't look mucked up, but the display wasn't working, and i couldn't see anything wrong with the board, so i'm assuming the water did end up doing some damage.... :(

i was so choked, like seriously... what the crap. thankfully, provape said that they could fix the internal damage for 65$, including return shipping, so that's alright, considering. i just ordered a provari mini though, the day after this happened, which should arrive on friday i'm hoping, or possibly tomrw but i doubt it, but i couldn't wait for mine to get to them, get fixed, then come back to me! using my ego, even for this short time, is KILLING ME... i even bummed a smoke off of some guy near my work the day it happened, cuz i just needed a nic fix after killing my baby :(

just had to share this with everyone, more cuz i'm choked, but maybe it will teach other people to not, errr... put their provari on the tire of industrial machinery you are using.... :S

5f18hx.jpg

SadPanda

Verified Member
Jul 25, 2011
USA

Did you happen to take any pictures? I am just curious on what it looks like now that its been ran over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread