RDA Experience Without an RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightPlume360

Apr 20, 2016
Hi Everyone,

First of all, thanks for stopping by to read my thread. I am a newb in the world of sub-ohm vaping. I recently bought my first kit, the Innokin Coolfire IV Plus with the iSub Apex tank. I've been having fun with it, but I'm also looking to buy another tank.

My friend has an RDA, and when she let me try it I was in love with the vapor production and flavor! I knew that eventually I would want to have an RDA. But right now, I don't think I'm ready to get into that. What appeals to me most is the clouds, flavor, and the ability to re-wick. I really would like to be able to re-wick my device to prevent mixing of flavors. It seems to be easier to try different flavors with an RDA.

I was thinking of getting an RDA, but buying pre-built coils. However, I'm realizing that I'll still have to understand how to install the coils correctly (which my friend could help me with) however, I'm trying to learn more before I jump into it so that I can be safe and not ruin my device when it comes to doing it completely on my own. So I was wondering, is there any such tank out there that would give me the RDA experience without the risks? Any completely pre-built RDA with coils that will last long, and all I have to do is change the wick?

Thank you!:)

p51mustang23

Sep 21, 2013
New England
Sounds like maybe you want an RTA.

RDA = rebuildable drip atomizer
RTA = rebuildable tank atomizer

An RTA is basiclly just like most other tanks, but with a rebuildable deck. Some like the Subtank can use either the rebuildable deck, or just a normal replacement wick/coil.

I just decided to order my first rda this weekend, and once I read a bit it turns out its not as complicated as it seems.

Something cool to look at that I'm considering myself: Aromamizer RDTA by Steam Crave

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
RDAs are basically indestructible. The most you can mess up while rebuilding on them are

1. The screws, just don't over tighten and don't strip them (usually comes with spares)
2. The coiled wire and cotton, which you can again coil another piece of wire(s) and cut another piece of cotton.

Its really not hard at all to do your own coils, took me 2 tries to get my first build right on the Zephyrus V2 RBA. Look at youtube videos, popular RDA's or RTAs have building/wicking tutorials.

danieljm

May 13, 2016
Hey Plume,

I'm new to the forum (first post) but have a decent amount vaping experience, so I registered to leave a little bit of my previous experiences for you.

What makes that RDA experience so amazing is the fact that you drip the juice on the coil and completely saturate the area. More juice, more flavor! Tanks do not become as saturated, no matter how good the wicking is done, but several tanks have gotten very close.

Some RDA's are also designed slightly different when it comes to how the air is delivered to the coils which impacts the flavor and density of vapor. As an example, where tanks most of the time have to have air come from the the bottom through a duct to the coil, RDA's can have air directly delivered to the coil through the sides of the RDA.

Unfortunately, I do not think a clearomizer with coil heads can achieve RDA like performance. The Subtank mentioned previously doesn't hit the number an RDA can in my oppinion. The Smok TFv4 maybe the closest thing as far as coil heads are conserned if that is what you are looking for. The TFv4 also has a rebuildabe coil you can look into since you wanna be able to rewick. RTAs or RDTAs I believe will be more what you should look into but they can be a little more complex than an RDA would be. Two RTAs or RDTAs come to mind as far as trying to find a tank that works like an RDA. The Aromamizer like Mustang mentioned, and The Bellus RTA. I own both and both perform well when you learn to wick them properly. The Bellus is cheaper but The Aromamizer has a better deck to build on. Read up on how these two tanks were designed and you'll begin to understand why these two are basically RDA's with a tank.

Now, in my opinion, as far as performance of these two tanks is concerned... I do not feel as though the Aromamizer or the Bellus give me the same level of satisfaction that say a Velocity RDA can. It's an old RDA, but I love it so much. Don't get me wrong, the tanks are good, the Aromamizer is closer to that RDA experience but just not quite there.

Ultimately, you eventually are gonna wanna get a dripper like a Velocity as an example. Until then, one tank might just satisfy your lust....

The Griffin RTA

This tank has one of the best build decks I've personally got to work with. Available now in a 3.5ml option and a 6ml option. Nice big thick clouds and great taste with the right build in it. The performance of this tank is the closest in my lineup in achieving that RDA experience.

Authentic Griffin's are around 30 to 35 USD and you can get good clones for around 12 to 15.

My favorite build in this tank thus far is 5 wraps of Clapton wire. It's a dual coil tank. Ohms come out to around .35. I vape this build at 50 to 60 Watts.

The Clapton wire used is UD 26 guage with 32 guage wrapped around it. I build the coil using a 3.5 mm jig.

Of course, you could always pick up premade Clapton's with the same build type like you mentioned but Clapton wire is some of the easiest I've worked with. Well, at least the 26/32 I used is.

If you pick up a 3.5 mm jig or whatever size you wish really, a short YouTube video will explain how easy it is to do. The Clapton wire I get is around 5 USD for 15ft. Much better deal than premades.

So, I hope that is a little helpful. I'm sure others will add a bit more for ya.

EDIT

A question in your post I forgot to answer and I do not believe others have. The coils can last a long time. Most people just remove the old wick, clean the coils, dry burn the coils, clean off the excess, and then do the new wicking. I am personally not a fan of dry burning and if I do, it's to check for something like hot spots. I never glow them cherry red either. Just visble enough to make sure both coils in a dual build are heating up evenly.

I have so much wire and a good deal of RDAs, RTAs, and Clearos that I just usually build a new tank up or grab a clearo rather than keeping the same coil in. That can be viewed as a waste of money but it's just how I like to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread