RDA Experience Without RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightPlume360

Apr 20, 2016
Hi Everyone,

First of all, thanks for stopping by to read my thread. I am a newb in the world of sub-ohm vaping. I recently bought my first kit, the Innokin Coolfire IV Plus with the iSub Apex tank. I've been having fun with it, but I'm also looking to buy another tank.

My friend has an RDA, and when she let me try it I was in love with the vapor production and flavor! I knew that eventually I would want to have an RDA. But right now, I don't think I'm ready to get into that. What appeals to me most is the clouds, flavor, and the ability to re-wick. I really would like to be able to re-wick my device to prevent mixing of flavors. It seems to be easier to try different flavors with an RDA.

I was thinking of getting an RDA, but buying pre-built coils. However, I'm realizing that I'll still have to understand how to install the coils correctly (which my friend could help me with) however, I'm trying to learn more before I jump into it so that I can be safe and not ruin my device when it comes to doing it completely on my own. So I was wondering, is there any such tank out there that would give me the RDA experience without the risks? Any completely pre-built RDA with coils that will last long, and all I have to do is change the wick?

Thank you!:)

Reactions: dcfluegel

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Howdy! And welcome! Not sure about a hybrid, per se... There are some excellent rdta's out now too (boreas, aromamizer) but coil installing is going to be part of the gig... I think you will find that it is not that challenging, but you're on the right track doing your research

Sent from Tapavapatalk

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
*(Saved from another thread)* :)

I have one particular RDA I only run with pre-made coils.
Installing them is very easy and very low risk i.m.o.

(That's a long story). I get them for a few cents each from Fasttech.

You can get them from online auction sites if you don't mind giving fairly large amounts of money to the people who buy them 100 at a time and then charge folk $8 for a few.

It's one of the great mysteries of the vaping world. Someone paying a shop or an auction site $8 plus delivery for a few coils when you can buy a lifetime supply from China for about $4... and they're the same coils. :eek:

Now, if they were handmade by Alaskan dancing Girls and dipped in 24 carat gold, then maybe. :D

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Its called the Dripbox from Kangertech
Kangertech Drip box Starter Kit.
Now, if you go this route you'll also learn about squonking:), but the key aspect that would apply to your request is the replaceable "deck". So they actually sell prebuilt, removable decks that have the coils and wick already installed. When you feel comfortable with it, you can then start rewicking toget a feel for it. Then you can get more involved and rebuild your own coils. It takes a single 18650 and has a constant output. Squonking refers to a bottle setup within the mod that is hooked up to holes at the base of the rda via tubing. You press the bottle to expell juice from the bottle to the underside of the coils/wick until juicy. Excess juice drains back into said bottle and is readily available for the next squonk. check out the device and then go to the Dripbox thread to learn other takes on the device: dripbox

Welcome the a great forum and the wonderful world of dripping. Take things slow and read all you can. It comes fairly easy with time and research.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I knew that eventually I would want to have an RDA. But right now, I don't think I'm ready to get into that. What appeals to me most is the clouds, flavor, and the ability to re-wick. I really would like to be able to re-wick my device to prevent mixing of flavors. It seems to be easier to try different flavors with an RDA.

I was thinking of getting an RDA, but buying pre-built coils. However, I'm realizing that I'll still have to understand how to install the coils correctly (which my friend could help me with) however, I'm trying to learn more before I jump into it so that I can be safe...
You sound intimidated to actually build your own coils. I was the same way until I really gave it a try. It's not as difficult to understand and learn as you may think.

All the tools you'll need are an ohm reader ($12 ), a pair of fine Stainless Steel Tweezer ($7), a mini Precision Screwdriver Set ($7), and a spool of 28 gauge Kanthal wire ($8) to get you started. You can use organic cotton balls, Ko Gen Do cotton, or Rayon for the wick. Use a coil calculator to find out how many loops to make for whatever resistance coil you want. Use the ohm reader to make sure the resistance of the coil is right.

There are a huge number of videos on YouTube that show how to wrap and wick a coil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread